Mountain Bike Tire ID/Recommendation please

Pat T.

Guest
I saw the perfect moutain bike tire for me on a Scwhin Mountain bike
the other day. The tire said
Frontier on it and had left and righ knobbies connected to a center
strip of rubber that ran around the tire. I think this will be perfect
for the riding combined asphalt/dirt path rides I take.

Does anyone know where I can find this tire or equivalent? I tried
googling for it with no luck.

"Pat T." <[email protected]> wrote:

>I saw the perfect moutain bike tire for me on a Scwhin Mountain bike
>the other day. The tire said
>Frontier on it and had left and righ knobbies connected to a center
>strip of rubber that ran around the tire. I think this will be perfect
>for the riding combined asphalt/dirt path rides I take.
>
>Does anyone know where I can find this tire or equivalent? I tried
>googling for it with no luck.

I dunno about that exact tire, but I too used to like side knobbed
tires thinking the knobs would come in nice in certain situations,
with the less agressive center tread being ideal for paved use.

Their profile tends to be square which puts more tire in contact with
the surface which hurts MPH on asphalt and just wears out the tire
faster. They also seemed to make rocking, leaning and veering more
difficult esp with 'high speed' cornering.

Obviously, your ratio of asphalt to dirt trail riding might make this
less important.

Side knobbies of various sorts actually are not hard to come by - less
so than rounded profile negative tread tires, it seems. Hutchinson
Rock-n-Road are an example (still use those as a winter tire); the
Kenda Kross Plus is almost identical to what you described, as is the
Kenda Krisp.

I havent tried the Crossroads Armadillo
(http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=15262). I have
heard good things about it but it still seems a bit agressive for what
I want. It has a round profile with deep negative tread on the sides
which might still serve your purposes.

HTH