Mountain bike training with power

Chipotle

Sep 8, 2005
OK y'all, I know you're out there. Recently the PT folks asked if anyone would be interested in a disc hub and I was shocked by the number of responses.

So, I'm interested in how you mtb racers train. Geared and SS replies encouraged.

I've spent the winter months indoors doing L3, SST, L4 2x20's on the CT and I'm just getting started with my 5x5's. 1-2 hours per session. Anything anaerobic has been taking place on xc skate skis - 2-3 hours with lots of tempo work and going hot on the hills. I've done a fair amount of telemark skiing and I hope that helps, but I'm not counting on it (how could you not benefit from a few thousand lunges). Gym work has been limited to upper body and core.

We've had a fabulous winter here in Michigan. It's going to be in the 40's this weekend and I'll start riding wet salty roads. The cross country racing starts in late April with my first peak being the http://www.lumberjack100.com/ in June.

Definetly want a disc version. A ask Saris about it every couple weeks.

SL wireless on my Road bike
SL on my Full suspension
Pro On My Single

Contemplating Ergomo, but would rather have a PT Disc

Been using PT for about a year and it reall has change my training.

Knowing what it reall takes in race and what I am really able to do in an hour. Training load etc.

I have trained and tested with a computrainer for years, only to go blind in spring out side riding. I recently compared my PT and CT and found the CT reading 12-13 higher so I did a Stop test and my PT is 99.04% accurate. So if my CT was the same last year I I am way ahead this year.

Chipotle said:
OK y'all, I know you're out there. Recently the PT folks asked if anyone would be interested in a disc hub and I was shocked by the number of responses.

So, I'm interested in how you mtb racers train. Geared and SS replies encouraged.

I've spent the winter months indoors doing L3, SST, L4 2x20's on the CT and I'm just getting started with my 5x5's. 1-2 hours per session. Anything anaerobic has been taking place on xc skate skis - 2-3 hours with lots of tempo work and going hot on the hills. I've done a fair amount of telemark skiing and I hope that helps, but I'm not counting on it (how could you not benefit from a few thousand lunges). Gym work has been limited to upper body and core.

We've had a fabulous winter here in Michigan. It's going to be in the 40's this weekend and I'll start riding wet salty roads. The cross country racing starts in late April with my first peak being the http://www.lumberjack100.com/ in June.

Chipotle said:

I race MTB but train mainly on roads using my PT equipped road bike. I hardly ride my MTB other than for races and a few training rides prior to a race. I now want to get a PT wheel for my MTB so that I can record power during races and use my MTB for more off- and on-road training. My current racing MTB only has V-brakes, but I would be interested if PT produced a disc hub.

JB.

JungleBiker said:
I race MTB but train mainly on roads using my PT equipped road bike. I hardly ride my MTB other than for races and a few training rides prior to a race. I now want to get a PT wheel for my MTB so that I can record power during races and use my MTB for more off- and on-road training. My current racing MTB only has V-brakes, but I would be interested if PT produced a disc hub.

JB.
I know that marathon distance Dave Harris has discounted the usage of powermeters for MTB but if you have races with long climbs, it seems like it can be a good tool for pacing yourself. I gave in and finally got a PT wheel built for my MTB and mainly use the MTB for racing and the two or three times a month rain ride or riding just for fun, and a pit bike for cyclocross. For me what I have found is that I was never pushing myself as hard as I was capable of going and I needed the feedback from the post ride analysis to make myself go harder during races, and I found my easy rides on the MTB were way too easy if that makes sense.