Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Mountain Biker Admits Running Over Snakes

Started by Mike Vandeman · · Last activity · 1 post · 491 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
13 March 2007
Last activity
13 March 2007
Original author
Mike Vandeman
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
491
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. From: [email hidden]
    Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:13:42 -0700

    I ran over a small diamondback once. It was OK -- I stopped and
    watched it crawl away.Usually I have time to bunny hop or swing
    around them. During snake season, which is now in full bloom, I often
    see two or three rattlesnakes on one ride. I've seen them combat
    dancing, sleeping coiled in the trail (they love to burrrow into the
    loose dirt so they are half-buried during the cool of night and
    morning) and stretched across the trail. I once caught a front tire
    on a rock while braking for a three-foot Diamondback, went OTB and
    landed on my chest. I closed my eyes on impact and when I opened them
    the snake's head was maybe two inches away from my left eye, so close
    it was blurry. I flopped out of the way in a nanosecond, and it never
    even backed into a coil. Luck or karma, perhaps, (I am a vociferous
    opponent of the idiots who think they need to be killed) but most
    likely the fact that they rely on camouflage as their primary
    defense, and movement compromises it. Or it could have been too busy
    laughing silent little snake laughs at the idiot who fell off his
    bike.

    So yeah, occasionally we may run over a snake, but I don't know that
    the overal environmental impact is any greater than the pollution a
    hiker puts into the air driving to a trailhead.

    --mark

    Shelley Potts said:

    Do folks out there really ride over the occasional snake!?! I've personally
    never come across such a situation. Does it happen often!? As a side note,
    I have a major snake phobia so I think I'd shudder w/ heebie jeebies if I
    ran over a snake! *blech*!!


    ===
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.