Mountain biker in coma after fall, not expected to live

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mike Vandeman, Oct 4, 2003.

  1. I would have thought it obvious that :

    1. Nature is unpredictable
    2. Speed kills
    3. Bicycles, like ALL vehicles, must not be ridden faster than their limited stopping distance
    allows. Bicycles have very little ability to stop under off-road conditions.
    4. Endangering oneself is bad enough, but the laws of physics imply that the same danger the rider
    faces is wreaked on anyone or anything in his/her path.

    Mike

    To: [email protected], bbtc <[email protected]> From: Joel Green
    <[email protected]> List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:[email protected]> Date:
    Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:27:46 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Sad news from Bellingham...

    The following was reprinted from the Bellingham Herald website.

    Mountain biker in coma after fall on Galbraith Daniel Graham of Bellingham is in serious condition
    at Harborview after Sunday mishap The Bellingham Herald A Bellingham man is in a coma at Harborview
    Medical Center after he broke his neck in a fall from his mountain bike on Galbraith Mountain.
    Daniel Graham has some brain damage and is not expected to live, said Bryant Davis, a friend and
    neighbor of the Graham family. Friends are starting a fund at Washington Mutual to raise money for
    his wife Scarlet, and son Quinn, who turned 10 on Saturday. Graham, a manager at Federal Express in
    Burlington, was listed in serious condition Tuesday at Harborview. Graham was riding with two
    friends downhill on Bob's trail, a winding chute on the west side of the mountain biking area
    Sunday. He fell after completing a jump. He was wearing a helmet. One friend administered CPR, while
    another ran down the hill to a nearby house to call 911, Davis said. Galbraith Mountain, located
    just east of Bellingham, is perhaps the most popular mountain biking spot in Whatcom County, used by
    hundreds of mountain bikers every year. Mountain bikers have been active on the mountain since the
    sport hit Bellingham in the 1980s.

    Joel Green

    Web Site: http://www.mountainmojo.com

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    Tags:

  2. DanTheMantisMan

    DanTheMantisMan New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2003
    The local scoop is that the poor guy had trail building equipment in his pack took a double jump wiped out and took an axe to the spinal cord.

  3. Mike Romain

    Mike Romain Guest

    Mike, you must be one of the most warped in the brain people I have ever seen posting on any
    newsgroup!

    You take pleasure out of people having accidents and use their misfortune to support your totally
    wrong 'environmental' stand.

    Man, I feel sorry for you.

    You work for one of the 'worst' companies that are actively raping our last old growth forests up
    here in Canada as we speak, for your own phone books, and have tried to get others booted from
    voluntary positions and from 'their' jobs for posting 'real' info instead of bull shit to the
    newsgroups.

    You got the boot from the Sierra Club for that too!

    I mean just where do you get off?

    What kind of credibility do you think you have?

    Does 'your' boss know you post insane drivel to the internet using your work address?

    Are you representing pacbell.net here?

    Your header implies that.

    Maybe 'they' should be asked if you are their 'official' spokes person, eh.

    Hmmmm....

    Mike

    Mike Vandeman wrote:

    > I would have thought it obvious that :
    >
    > 1. Nature is unpredictable
    > 2. Speed kills
    > 3. Bicycles, like ALL vehicles, must not be ridden faster than their limited stopping distance
    > allows. Bicycles have very little ability to stop under off-road conditions.
    > 4. Endangering oneself is bad enough, but the laws of physics imply that the same danger the rider
    > faces is wreaked on anyone or anything in his/her path.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > To: [email protected], bbtc <[email protected]> From: Joel Green
    > <[email protected]> List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:[email protected]> Date:
    > Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:27:46 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Sad news from Bellingham...
    >
    > The following was reprinted from the Bellingham Herald website.
    >

    > Mountain biker in coma after fall on Galbraith Daniel Graham of Bellingham is in serious condition
    > at Harborview after Sunday mishap The Bellingham Herald A Bellingham man is in a coma at
    > Harborview Medical Center after he broke his neck in a fall from his mountain bike on Galbraith
    > Mountain. Daniel Graham has some brain damage and is not expected to live, said Bryant Davis, a
    > friend and neighbor of the Graham family. Friends are starting a fund at Washington Mutual to
    > raise money for his wife Scarlet, and son Quinn, who turned 10 on Saturday. Graham, a manager at
    > Federal Express in Burlington, was listed in serious condition Tuesday at Harborview. Graham was
    > riding with two friends downhill on Bob's trail, a winding chute on the west side of the mountain
    > biking area Sunday. He fell after completing a jump. He was wearing a helmet. One friend
    > administered CPR, while another ran down the hill to a nearby house to call 911, Davis said.
    > Galbraith Mountain, located just east of Bellingham, is perhaps the most popular mountain biking
    > spot in Whatcom County, used by hundreds of mountain bikers every year. Mountain bikers have been
    > active on the mountain since the sport hit Bellingham in the 1980s.
    >
    > Joel Green
    >
    > Web Site: http://www.mountainmojo.com
    >
    > ===
    > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
    > help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
    >
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  4. Peter H

    Peter H Guest

    Mike Romain wrote:

    >Mike, you must be one of the most warped in the brain people I have ever seen posting on any
    >newsgroup!
    >
    >You take pleasure out of people having accidents and use their misfortune to support your totally
    >wrong 'environmental' stand.

    He's done it before. Ad infinitum. Ad nauseum. Ad sillium.

    >Man, I feel sorry for you.

    Kind of you, but to no purpose, unfortunately. Sympathy, reason,
    empathy, logic..... all rather like pouring sand down a rat hole.

    >What kind of credibility do you think you have?

    He has no credible answer, since he has no credible basis from which to answer. (One clue is the
    misanthropic tag line on all his posts.)

    >Does 'your' boss know you post insane drivel to the internet using your work address?
    >
    >Are you representing pacbell.net here?

    They're better served by not appearing on the scene; if one lies down with dogs, one gets up
    with fleas.

    --
    If the assumptions are wrong, the conclusions aren't likely to be very good.
    R. E. Machol

  5. Mll

    Mll Guest

    Mike, You are what is commonly referred to as an asshole. The guy is dying, his family is in
    anguish, and his friends are trying to do some good for his family. You butt in and spew more of
    your self-serving crap. SHAME ON YOU!!!

  6. On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 18:26:21 -0400, Mike Romain <[email protected]> wrote:

    .Mike, you must be one of the most warped in the brain people I have ever .seen posting on any
    newsgroup! . .You take pleasure out of people having accidents and use their .misfortune to support
    your totally wrong 'environmental' stand. . .Man, I feel sorry for you. . .You work for one of the
    'worst' companies

    Which company is that? Obviously, you have no idea whom I work for.

    that are actively raping our .last old growth forests up here in Canada as we speak, for your own
    .phone books, and have tried to get others booted from voluntary .positions and from 'their' jobs
    for posting 'real' info instead of bull .shit to the newsgroups.

    (Like YOUR BS?) ... while they were supposed to be working.

    .You got the boot from the Sierra Club for that too!

    BS.

    .I mean just where do you get off? . .What kind of credibility do you think you have?

    The best. I stick to truth, unlike you.

    .Does 'your' boss know you post insane drivel to the internet using your .work address?

    What is my work address, dumdum?

    .Are you representing pacbell.net here? . .Your header implies that.

    Where does it say that?

    .Maybe 'they' should be asked if you are their 'official' spokes person, .eh.

    You obviously have a few screws loose.

    .Hmmmm.... . .Mike .86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 .88 Cherokee 235
    BFG AT's . .Mike Vandeman wrote: .> .> I would have thought it obvious that : .> .> 1. Nature is
    unpredictable .> 2. Speed kills .> 3. Bicycles, like ALL vehicles, must not be ridden faster than
    their limited .> stopping distance allows. Bicycles have very little ability to stop under .>
    off-road conditions. .> 4. Endangering oneself is bad enough, but the laws of physics imply that the
    .> same danger the rider faces is wreaked on anyone or anything in his/her path. .> .> Mike .> .>
    To: [email protected], bbtc <[email protected]> .> From: Joel Green
    <[email protected]> .> List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:[email protected]> .>
    Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:27:46 -0700 (PDT) .> Subject: Sad news from Bellingham... .> .> The
[...]
    http://www.mountainmojo.com .> .> === .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is
    off-limits to .> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 .> years fighting
    auto dependence and road construction.) .> .> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    ===

  7. On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 22:33:40 -0400, "MLL" <[email protected]> wrote:

    .Mike, .You are what is commonly referred to as an asshole. The guy is dying, his .family is in
    anguish, and his friends are trying to do some good for his .family. You butt in and spew more of
    your self-serving crap. SHAME ON YOU!!!

    Mountain bikers don't like anyone to tell the TRUTH about their sick sport, which is responsible for
    his accident.

    ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    .news:[email protected]... .> I would have thought it obvious that : .> .>
    1. Nature is unpredictable .> 2. Speed kills .> 3. Bicycles, like ALL vehicles, must not be ridden
    faster than their .limited .> stopping distance allows. Bicycles have very little ability to stop
    under .> off-road conditions. .> 4. Endangering oneself is bad enough, but the laws of physics imply
    that .the .> same danger the rider faces is wreaked on anyone or anything in his/her .path. .> .>
    Mike .> .> .> To: [email protected], bbtc <[email protected]> .> From:
    Joel Green <[email protected]> .> List-Unsubscribe:
    <mailto:[email protected]> .> Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:27:46 -0700 (PDT) .>
    Subject: Sad news from Bellingham... .> .> The following was reprinted from the Bellingham Herald

  8. On 5 Oct 2003 06:46:09 +0950, DanTheMantisMan <[email protected]> wrote:

    .Mike Vandeman wrote:
    . > I would have thought it obvious that :
    . > 1. Nature is unpredictable
    . > 2. Speed kills
    . > 3. Bicycles, like ALL vehicles, must not be ridden faster than their
    . > limited stopping distance allows. Bicycles have very little ability
    . > to stop under off-road conditions.
    . > 4. Endangering oneself is bad enough, but the laws of physics imply that
    . > the same danger the rider faces is wreaked on anyone or anything in
    . > his/her path.
    . > Mike
    . > To: [email protected], bbtc
    . > <[email protected]> From: Joel Green <[email protected]>
[...]
    . > Web Site: http://www.mountainmojo.com/http://www.mountainmojo.com
    . > ===
    . > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans
    . > ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting
    . > auto dependence and road construction.)
    . > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvandehttp://home.pacbell.net/mjvande . .The local scoop is that the
    poor guy had trail building equipment in his .pack took a double jump

    Whatever for???

    wiped out and took an axe to the spinal cord.

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  9. Perdy Tired

    Perdy Tired Guest

    Mike,

    He has incorrectly assumed your were an employee of Sympatico/Bell, without knowledge that the
    [email protected] addresses are used by all subscribers of Sympatico's ISP services.

    PS... Got no time for huggin' trees, gotta run over a few with my bike! ;-)

    Perdy.

> [...]
    most popular
    > .> mountain biking spot in Whatcom County, used by hundreds of mountain
    bikers
    > .> every year. .> Mountain bikers have been active on the mountain since the sport hit
    Bellingham
    > .> in the 1980s. .> .> Joel Green .> .> Web Site: http://www.mountainmojo.com .> .> === .> I am
    > working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to .> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
    > help? (I spent the previous 8 .> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.) .> .>
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
    >
    > ===
    > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
    > help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

  10. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

> [...]
    > perhaps the
    most
    > .popular .> mountain biking spot in Whatcom County, used by hundreds of mountain .bikers .> every
    > year. .> Mountain bikers have been active on the mountain since the sport hit .Bellingham .> in
    > the 1980s. .> .> Joel Green .> .> Web Site: http://www.mountainmojo.com .> .> === .> I am working
    > on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to .> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I
    > spent the previous 8 .> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.) .> .>
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande .
    >
    > ===
    > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
    > help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

  11. The Ogre

    The Ogre Guest

    Mike Romain <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Mike, you must be one of the most warped in the brain people I have ever seen posting on any
    > newsgroup!

    Yes that was noted and documented years ago.

    > You take pleasure out of people having accidents and use their misfortune to support your totally
    > wrong 'environmental' stand.

    The man has no qualms about getting Sierra Club members fired for not being radical enough. Do you
    really think a little thing like using someone's death is below him.

    > You got the boot from the Sierra Club for that too!

    Get your facts straight, he just got banned from leadership positions, and can never publicly state
    that his views represent the Sierra Clubs views.

    > What kind of credibility do you think you have?

    He thinks he has plenty of credibility. Other than that there is only one other person who takes his
    shit seriously and she is almost equally whacked in the head. The Sierra Club leadership has washed
    their hands of him because he goes way beyond their point of view. This is why he has recently been
    critical of them. That and the fact that they smacked him down pretty hard.

    -- The Ogre http://ogrehut.net

  12. On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 18:26:21 -0400, Mike Romain <[email protected]> wrote:

    .Mike, you must be one of the most warped in the brain people I have ever .seen posting on any
    newsgroup! . .You take pleasure out of people having accidents and use their .misfortune to support
    your totally wrong 'environmental' stand.

    Why should I be happy, just because an environmental rapist got killed by his own axe? You would be
    better off trying to PREVENT this from occurring, instead of trying to sweep it under the rug! At
    least I am trying to prevent it from re-occurring, by banning mountain biking and trail-building. If
    you had any sense, you would AGREE with me!

    .Mike Vandeman wrote: .> .> I would have thought it obvious that : .> .> 1. Nature is unpredictable
    .> 2. Speed kills .> 3. Bicycles, like ALL vehicles, must not be ridden faster than their limited .>
    stopping distance allows. Bicycles have very little ability to stop under .> off-road conditions. .>
    4. Endangering oneself is bad enough, but the laws of physics imply that the .> same danger the
    rider faces is wreaked on anyone or anything in his/her path. .> .> Mike .> .> To:
    Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:27:46 -0700 (PDT) .> Subject: Sad news from Bellingham... .> .> The

  13. On 5 Oct 2003 00:56:13 -0700, [email protected] (The Ogre) wrote:

    .Mike Romain <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>... .>
    Mike, you must be one of the most warped in the brain people I have ever .> seen posting on any
    newsgroup! . .Yes that was noted and documented years ago. .> .> You take pleasure out of people
    having accidents and use their .> misfortune to support your totally wrong 'environmental' stand. .
    .The man has no qualms about getting Sierra Club members fired for not .being radical enough. Do you
    really think a little thing like using .someone's death is below him. . .> You got the boot from the
    Sierra Club for that too! . .Get your facts straight, he just got banned from leadership .positions,
    and can never publicly state that his views represent the .Sierra Clubs views.

    BS. They missed their own deadline, & had to drop the complaint.

    .> What kind of credibility do you think you have? . .He thinks he has plenty of credibility. Other
    than that there is only .one other person who takes his shit seriously and she is almost .equally
    whacked in the head. The Sierra Club leadership has washed .their hands of him because he goes way
    beyond their point of view. .This is why he has recently been critical of them. That and the fact
    .that they smacked him down pretty hard.

    BS. Get your facts straight. Oops, I forgot: you are a mountain biker. "Fact" is not in your
    vocabulary.

    .-- The Ogre .http://ogrehut.net

    ===

  14. On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 00:36:08 -0400, "Perdy Tired" <[email protected]> wrote:

    .Mike, . .He has incorrectly assumed your were an employee of Sympatico/Bell, without .knowledge
    that the [email protected] addresses are used by all subscribers of Sympatico's ISP .services. .
    .PS... Got no time for huggin' trees, gotta run over a few with my bike! .;-)

    Break a leg! :)

    .Perdy. . . ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    .news:[email protected]... .> On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 18:26:21 -0400, Mike
    Romain <[email protected]> .wrote: .> .> .Mike, you must be one of the most warped in the brain
    people I have ever .> .seen posting on any newsgroup! .> . .> .You take pleasure out of people
    having accidents and use their .> .misfortune to support your totally wrong 'environmental' stand.
    .> . .> .Man, I feel sorry for you. .> . .> .You work for one of the 'worst' companies .> .> Which
    company is that? Obviously, you have no idea whom I work for. .> .> that are actively raping our .>
    .last old growth forests up here in Canada as we speak, for your own .> .phone books, and have tried
    to get others booted from voluntary .> .positions and from 'their' jobs for posting 'real' info
    instead of bull .> .shit to the newsgroups. .> .> (Like YOUR BS?) ... while they were supposed to be
    working. .> .> .You got the boot from the Sierra Club for that too! .> .> BS. .> .> .I mean just
    where do you get off? .> . .> .What kind of credibility do you think you have? .> .> The best. I
    stick to truth, unlike you. .> .> .Does 'your' boss know you post insane drivel to the internet
    using your .> .work address? .> .> What is my work address, dumdum? .> .> .Are you representing
    pacbell.net here? .> . .> .Your header implies that. .> .> Where does it say that? .> .> .Maybe
    'they' should be asked if you are their 'official' spokes person, .> .eh. .> .> You obviously have a
    few screws loose. .> .> .Hmmmm.... .> . .> .Mike .> .86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose
    to tail in '00 .> .88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's .> . .> .Mike Vandeman wrote: .> .> .> .> I would have
    thought it obvious that : .> .> .> .> 1. Nature is unpredictable .> .> 2. Speed kills .> .> 3.
    Bicycles, like ALL vehicles, must not be ridden faster than their .limited .> .> stopping distance
    allows. Bicycles have very little ability to stop .under .> .> off-road conditions. .> .> 4.
    Endangering oneself is bad enough, but the laws of physics imply .that the .> .> same danger the
    rider faces is wreaked on anyone or anything in his/her .path. .> .> .> .> Mike .> .> .> .> To:
    [email protected], bbtc .<[email protected]> .> .> From: Joel Green
    <[email protected]> .> .> List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:[email protected]> .>
    .> Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:27:46 -0700 (PDT) .> .> Subject: Sad news from Bellingham... .> .> .>
[...]
    Site: http://www.mountainmojo.com .> .> .> .> === .> .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat
    that is off-limits to .> .> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 .> .>
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.) .> .> .> .> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
    .> .> === .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to .> humans ("pure
    habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 .> years fighting auto dependence and road
    construction.) .> .> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande .

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  15. . ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    .news:[email protected]... .> On Sat, 4 Oct 2003 22:33:40 -0400, "MLL"
    <[email protected]> wrote: .> .> .Mike, .> .You are what is commonly referred to as an asshole. The
    guy is dying, his .> .family is in anguish, and his friends are trying to do some good for his .>
    .family. You butt in and spew more of your self-serving crap. SHAME ON .YOU!!! .> .> Mountain bikers
    don't like anyone to tell the TRUTH about their sick .sport, .> which is responsible for his
    accident. .> .> ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message .>
    .news:[email protected]... .> .> I would have thought it obvious that : .>
    .> .> .> 1. Nature is unpredictable .> .> 2. Speed kills .> .> 3. Bicycles, like ALL vehicles, must
    not be ridden faster than their .> .limited .> .> stopping distance allows. Bicycles have very
    little ability to stop .under .> .> off-road conditions. .> .> 4. Endangering oneself is bad enough,
    but the laws of physics imply .that .> .the .> .> same danger the rider faces is wreaked on anyone
    or anything in his/her .> .path. .> .> .> .> Mike .> .> .> .> .> .> To:
    [email protected], bbtc .<[email protected]> .> .> From: Joel Green
    <[email protected]> .> .> List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:[email protected]> .>
    .> Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:27:46 -0700 (PDT) .> .> Subject: Sad news from Bellingham... .> .> .>
    Green .> .> .> .> Web Site: http://www.mountainmojo.com .> .> .> .> === .> .> I am working on
    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande .> . .> .> === .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is
    off-limits to .> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 .> years fighting
    auto dependence and road construction.) .> .> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande .

    What's that?

    You would be better off trying to PREVENT this from occurring, instead of trying to sweep it under
    the rug! At least I am trying to prevent it from re-occurring, by banning mountain biking and
    trail-building. If you had any sense, you would AGREE with me!
    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  16. Tenkman

    Tenkman Guest

    > On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 18:26:21 -0400, Mike Romain
    >
    > Why should I be happy, just because an environmental rapist got killed
    by his
    > own axe? You would be better off trying to PREVENT this from
    occurring, instead
    > of trying to sweep it under the rug!

    Cool!!! When I take off on my mountain bike tomorrow and tear through some grasses off the trail, I
    will be extra careful. Every Monday I call it my Mike V. memorial ride.

    Tear it up dudes!!!!!

    At least I am trying to prevent it from
    > re-occurring, by banning mountain biking and trail-building. If you
    had any
    > sense, you would AGREE with me!
    >
    > .Mike

  17. Mark Wolfe

    Mark Wolfe Guest

    Mike Vandeman wrote:

    > I would have thought it obvious that :
    >
    > 1. Nature is unpredictable

    Yup

    > 2. Speed kills

    Don't move then.

    > 3. Bicycles, like ALL vehicles, must not be ridden faster than their
    limited
    > stopping distance allows. Bicycles have very little ability to stop under off-road conditions.

    Didn't know that, next time I'm breaking hard in the dirt I'll keep in mind that I'm not
    actually stopping.

    > 4. Endangering oneself is bad enough, but the laws of physics imply that
    the
    > same danger the rider faces is wreaked on anyone or anything in his/her
    path.

    I didn't see where there was something in his path. Read that he jumped then crashed, I didn't see
    where he hit something, the ground is hard enough to mess you up.

    > To: [email protected], bbtc <[email protected]> From: Joel Green
    > <[email protected]> List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:[email protected]> Date:
    > Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:27:46 -0700 (PDT) Subject: Sad news from Bellingham...
    >
    > The following was reprinted from the Bellingham Herald website.
    >

    > Mountain biker in coma after fall on Galbraith Daniel Graham of Bellingham is in serious condition
    > at Harborview after
    Sunday
    > mishap The Bellingham Herald A Bellingham man is in a coma at Harborview Medical Center after
    > he broke
    his
    > neck in a fall from his mountain bike on Galbraith Mountain. Daniel Graham has some brain damage
    > and is not expected to live, said
    Bryant
    > Davis, a friend and neighbor of the Graham family. Friends are starting a fund at Washington
    > Mutual to raise money for his
    wife
    > Scarlet, and son Quinn, who turned 10 on Saturday. Graham, a manager at Federal Express in
    > Burlington, was listed in serious condition Tuesday at Harborview. Graham was riding with two
    > friends downhill on Bob's trail, a winding
    chute on
    > the west side of the mountain biking area Sunday. He fell after completing a jump. He was wearing
    > a helmet. One friend administered CPR, while another ran down the hill to a nearby
    house
    > to call 911, Davis said. Galbraith Mountain, located just east of Bellingham, is perhaps the most
    popular
    > mountain biking spot in Whatcom County, used by hundreds of mountain
    bikers
    > every year. Mountain bikers have been active on the mountain since the sport hit
    Bellingham
    > in the 1980s.
    >
    > Joel Green
    >
    > Web Site: http://www.mountainmojo.com
    >
    > ===
    > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
    > help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
    >
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    --
    Mark Wolfe http://www.wolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
    8C71 Bill Gates to his broker: "You idiot, I said $150 million on **SNAPPLE**!!!"

  18. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    Trying to make political capital out of events like these will get you nowhere.

    But then, painting the limp phallus of your ego with the team colours and then running around
    dangling it in people's faces has always been where you're at.

    If you were a comedian, you'd be Tom Green. Nuff said.

    Andy Chequer

  19. Karen M.

    Karen M. Guest

    > The following was reprinted from the Bellingham Herald website.
    >
    > Mountain biker in coma after fall on Galbraith Daniel Graham of Bellingham is in serious condition
    > at Harborview after Sunday mishap The Bellingham Herald A Bellingham man is in a coma at
    > Harborview Medical Center after he broke his neck in a fall from his mountain bike on Galbraith
    > Mountain. Daniel Graham has some brain damage and is not expected to live, said Bryant Davis, a
    > friend and neighbor of the Graham family. Friends are starting a fund at Washington Mutual to
    > raise money for his wife Scarlet, and son Quinn, who turned 10 on Saturday. Graham, a manager at
    > Federal Express in Burlington, was listed in serious condition Tuesday at Harborview. Graham was
    > riding with two friends downhill on Bob's trail, a winding chute on the west side of the mountain
    > biking area Sunday. He fell after completing a jump. He was wearing a helmet. One friend
    > administered CPR, while another ran down the hill to a nearby house to call 911, Davis said.
    > Galbraith Mountain, located just east of Bellingham, is perhaps the most popular mountain biking
    > spot in Whatcom County, used by hundreds of mountain bikers every year. Mountain bikers have been
    > active on the mountain since the sport hit Bellingham in the 1980s.

    From Googling: The Bellingham Herald ... Daniel Graham died Wednesday, according to a hospital
    spokeswoman. Galbraith Mountain, located just east of Bellingham, is perhaps the most popular
    mountain ... news.bellinghamherald.com/stories/ 20030914/LocalState/155797.shtml - 30k

    --Karen M.

  20. On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 09:32:24 -0700, Mark Wolfe <[email protected]> wrote:

    .Mike Vandeman wrote: . .> I would have thought it obvious that : .> .> 1. Nature is unpredictable .
    .Yup . .> 2. Speed kills . .Don't move then. . . .> 3. Bicycles, like ALL vehicles, must not be
    ridden faster than their .limited .> stopping distance allows. Bicycles have very little ability to
    stop under .> off-road conditions. . .Didn't know that, next time I'm breaking hard in the dirt I'll
    keep in mind .that I'm not actually stopping. . .> 4. Endangering oneself is bad enough, but the
    laws of physics imply that .the .> same danger the rider faces is wreaked on anyone or anything in
    his/her .path. . .I didn't see where there was something in his path. Read that he jumped .then
    crashed, I didn't see where he hit something, the ground is hard .enough to mess you up.

    The point is that he COULD have hit someone or something.

    . .> .> To: [email protected], bbtc <[email protected]> .> From: Joel
    Green <[email protected]> .> List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:[email protected]>
    .> Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:27:46 -0700 (PDT) .> Subject: Sad news from Bellingham... .> .> The
    Site: http://www.mountainmojo.com .> .> === .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is