• Thread starter Dean A. Stepper
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
spademan o---[) * wrote:

> "Mojo Deluxe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:D[email protected]...
>
>>>To make it even sweeter, if you're in a group, the lion will certainly go after the smallest in
>>>the party ... so if you're a typically-sized female, maybe invite a smaller friend that you
>>>wouldn't mind losing?
>>>
>>
>>Pack a weapon in a shoulder holster.
>
>
> This is a joke right?
>
> Steve.
>
>
No this is America.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Just when you thought you were the top of the food chain. Sometimes I get nervous riding alone
> around here. Its disconcerting thinking of yourself as prey. No one's been eaten around Boulder. A
> three year old, left to hike alone, was probably killed by a mountain lion west of Ft Collins
> about three years ago. A high school boy was killed while running near Idaho Springs about 12
> years ago. About 5 years ago a man was stalked near the Flatirons west of Boulder, but another
> person came along and helped him chase it off. A friend of mine was walking with her two year old
> outside their house in the foothills NW of Boulder, when he said "Look mommy, kitty!" they went
> inside quickly. Definitely mountain lion territory. Never seen one though. Anyone know of a pepper
> spray holder that mounts to your handlebars?
>
> Shawn
>

I was out last night and the barking and howles of coyotes ahead of me *almost* made me stop and
turn back but then I figured better I meet them head on then let them bite me in the ass :) Plus I
figured if they are half as cold as I am their in no mood for fighing.
--

There are critters of all types out there. We've had three memorable
wildlife experiences :

When we first moved to Oregon, we did a little rails-to-trails ride up a hot dusty river canyon from
the state park where we camped. A couple of hours up the trail, we opted to descend a half mile to
the river and take a dip. Just as we finished up and were getting ready to leave, a guy floats down
from upriver on a raft, and thanks us for checking the shoreline for rattlesnakes on his behalf.
Said almost every time he lands at that spot, he almost steps on one...

While touring near Grand Canyon, we biked a few miles on the Arizona trail (great singletrack!). At
one point we heard a huge crash and commotion in the bush a few yards off the trail. We assumed we
had startled some deer or elk. When we got back to the trailhead, there were two support staff in a
truck, waiting for their bike tour to meet up with them. They said 10 minutes before, they had seen
a big cat walk out of the trees, stare at them for a few seconds, then trot off down the trail we
had just come from.

Another aquaintance here told us about a winter photo foray he made into the wilderness of the
Cascades mountains. Got a little mixed up and decided to follow his tracks back out. After
backtracking a couple of miles, found a second set of tracks parallel to his own. A big cat had
tailed him closely for a while, and he never had a clue.

Gary (maybe could outbike a cat if my shorts weren't too full) Wood

"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > Just when you thought you were the top of the food chain. Sometimes I get nervous riding alone
> > around here. Its disconcerting thinking of yourself as prey.
> >
>
> I was out last night and the barking and howles of coyotes ahead of me *almost* made me stop and
> turn back but then I figured better I meet them head on then let them bite me in the ass :) Plus I
> figured if they are half as cold as I am their in no mood for fighing.
> --
> _________________________
> Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-online.com

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 08:54:20 -0000, "spademan o---[\) *"
<[email protected]> wrote:

. ."Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:ASoLb.47889$gN.16859@fed1read05... .>
.http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=75251&section=BREAKING_N
.EWS&subsection=BREAKING_NEWS&year=2004&month=1&day=8 .> .> .Quote "The threat of mountain lions has
become an increasing problem in .Southern California as development encroaches upon rural areas that
have .been home to various animals.." . .Who is threatening who here?

Mountain bikers are threatening everyone.

.Steve.

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 19:33:18 GMT, Shawn Curry <[email protected]>
wrote:

.Penny S wrote: .> Slacker scribbled on a scrap of paper: .> .>>Dean A. Stepper wrote: .>> .> http:-
//www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=75251&section=BREAKING_NEWS&subsection=BREAKING_NEWS-
&year=2004&month=1&day=8 .> .>> .>>[for those of us that hate registering for sites like that
.>>http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/010804_nw_mt_lion.html ] .>> .>>Damn, I can't believe that. I
just rode there the other weekend... I .>>love that little trail. .>>We were kicking at this one
section, and I my buddy whispers at me, .>>bro, check that out." I look over and there's two deer
out in broad .>>daylight feeding in a heavily used section of the trail. As I look .>>closer, I
notice a few more of them, the whole family was out. I .>>thought this is really strange and a
little spooky. I told my friend, .>>"C'mon, let's get out of here before we scare them, not to
mention .>>they could be *someone's dinner". .>> .>>I thought mountain lion attacks on adults were
very, very rare ?? .>>Anybody have/know any info about mountain lion habits? .> .> .> .> just the
other day I heard a very interesting news report on NPR about lions .> in particular, especially in
Boulder. It seems that they are getting .> habituated to people, and that in some cased they are
starting to view .> humans as prey. There was a case cited in Boulder where a lion was stalking .>
some teens for several days at a high school, and then killed and ate them. .> I may have my facts
screwed up, but they were talking about a recent book .> that really questions a lot of the thinking
on lions, and looks at how .> animals are changing their patterns with so much human life moving
into .> their habitats. .> .> Penny .> .> .Just when you thought you were the top of the food chain.
Sometimes I .get nervous riding alone around here. Its disconcerting thinking of .yourself as prey.

An Orange County equestrian who has been fighting the mountain bikers in Whiting park referred to
the bikers as 'meals on wheels'.

.No one's been eaten around Boulder. A three year old, left to hike .alone, was probably killed by a
mountain lion west of Ft Collins about .three years ago. A high school boy was killed while running
near Idaho .Springs about 12 years ago. About 5 years ago a man was stalked near .the Flatirons west
of Boulder, but another person came along and helped .him chase it off. A friend of mine was walking
with her two year old .outside their house in the foothills NW of Boulder, when he said "Look
.mommy, kitty!" they went inside quickly. .Definitely mountain lion territory. .Never seen one
though. .Anyone know of a pepper spray holder that mounts to your handlebars? . .Shawn

===
I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 22:29:11 -0600, "Mojo Deluxe" <[email protected]>
wrote:

. ."Monique Y. Herman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> On 2004-01-09, Penny S penned: .> > .> > just
the other day I heard a very interesting news report on NPR about .> > lions in particular,
especially in Boulder. It seems that they are .> > getting habituated to people, and that in some
cased they are starting .> > to view humans as prey. There was a case cited in Boulder where a lion
.> > was stalking some teens for several days at a high school, and then .> > killed and ate them. I
may have my facts screwed up, but they were .> > talking about a recent book that really questions a
lot of the .> > thinking on lions, and looks at how animals are changing their .> > patterns with so
much human life moving into their habitats. .> > .> .> Ugh. Mountain lion stalkers. .> .> Maybe this
*wasn't* the year for me to start mountain biking ... in .> Boulder ... .> .> To make it even
sweeter, if you're in a group, the lion will certainly .> go after the smallest in the party ... so
if you're a typically-sized .> female, maybe invite a smaller friend that you wouldn't mind losing?
.> .Pack a weapon in a shoulder holster.

Won't protect you from a silent attack from behind.
===

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 05:11:44 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>
wrote:

>.No one's been eaten around Boulder. A three year old, left to hike .alone, was probably killed by
>a mountain lion west of Ft Collins about .three years ago. A high school boy was killed while
>running near Idaho .Springs about 12 years ago. About 5 years ago a man was stalked near .the
>Flatirons west of Boulder, but another person came along and helped .him chase it off. A friend of
>mine was walking with her two year old .outside their house in the foothills NW of Boulder, when he
>said "Look .mommy, kitty!" they went inside quickly. .Definitely mountain lion territory. .Never
>seen one though. .Anyone know of a pepper spray holder that mounts to your handlebars?

Pepper spray...against a mountain lion?

I would recommend a concealed weapons permit and a snub-nosed .357 magnum, myself.

Doug

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:18:27 GMT, Doug Haxton wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 05:11:44 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>>.No one's been eaten around Boulder. A three year old, left to hike .alone, was probably killed by
>>a mountain lion west of Ft Collins about .three years ago. A high school boy was killed while
>>running near Idaho .Springs about 12 years ago. About 5 years ago a man was stalked near .the
>>Flatirons west of Boulder, but another person came along and helped .him chase it off. A friend of
>>mine was walking with her two year old .outside their house in the foothills NW of Boulder, when
>>he said "Look .mommy, kitty!" they went inside quickly. .Definitely mountain lion territory.
>>.Never seen one though. .Anyone know of a pepper spray holder that mounts to your handlebars?
>
> Pepper spray...against a mountain lion?
>
> I would recommend a concealed weapons permit and a snub-nosed .357 magnum, myself.
>
> Doug

And eyes in the back of your head

"Doug Haxton" <[email protected]> sez:

<snip>
> I would recommend a concealed weapons permit and a snub-nosed .357 magnum, myself.

Open carry is fine in Colorado (even though it might put a twist in many Boulderites knickers) but a
snubbie?? I'd prefer something that can get on the paper out to 75 or so yds. myself.

Good shootin' to ya, VLJ
--
Take only pictures, leave only bullet holes ...

Mike Vandeman wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 19:33:18 GMT, Shawn Curry <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> .Penny S wrote: .> Slacker scribbled on a scrap of paper: .> .>>Dean A. Stepper wrote: .>> .> htt-
> p://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=75251&section=BREAKING_NEWS&subsection=BREAKING_-
> NEWS&year=2004&month=1&day=8 .> .>> .>>[for those of us that hate registering for sites like that
> .>>http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/010804_nw_mt_lion.html ] .>> .>>Damn, I can't believe that. I
> just rode there the other weekend... I .>>love that little trail. .>>We were kicking at this one
> section, and I my buddy whispers at me, .>>bro, check that out." I look over and there's two deer
> out in broad .>>daylight feeding in a heavily used section of the trail. As I look .>>closer, I
> notice a few more of them, the whole family was out. I .>>thought this is really strange and a
> little spooky. I told my friend, .>>"C'mon, let's get out of here before we scare them, not to
> mention .>>they could be *someone's dinner". .>> .>>I thought mountain lion attacks on adults were
> very, very rare ?? .>>Anybody have/know any info about mountain lion habits? .> .> .> .> just the
> other day I heard a very interesting news report on NPR about lions .> in particular, especially
> in Boulder. It seems that they are getting .> habituated to people, and that in some cased they
> are starting to view .> humans as prey. There was a case cited in Boulder where a lion was
> stalking .> some teens for several days at a high school, and then killed and ate them. .> I may
> have my facts screwed up, but they were talking about a recent book .> that really questions a lot
> of the thinking on lions, and looks at how .> animals are changing their patterns with so much
> human life moving into .> their habitats. .> .> Penny .> .> .Just when you thought you were the
> top of the food chain. Sometimes I .get nervous riding alone around here. Its disconcerting
> thinking of .yourself as prey.
>
> An Orange County equestrian who has been fighting the mountain bikers in Whiting park referred to
> the bikers as 'meals on wheels'.
>

Mike, attacks are inevitable, but extremely rare. Most attacks are of hikers, some equestrians and
cyclist. Get your facts correct.

> .No one's been eaten around Boulder. A three year old, left to hike .alone, was probably killed
> by a mountain lion west of Ft Collins about .three years ago. A high school boy was killed while
> running near Idaho .Springs about 12 years ago. About 5 years ago a man was stalked near .the
> Flatirons west of Boulder, but another person came along and helped .him chase it off. A friend
> of mine was walking with her two year old .outside their house in the foothills NW of Boulder,
> when he said "Look .mommy, kitty!" they went inside quickly. .Definitely mountain lion
> territory. .Never seen one though. .Anyone know of a pepper spray holder that mounts to your
> handlebars? . .Shawn
>
> ===
> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
> help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 04:13:30 GMT, Rick Hopkins <[email protected]> wrote:

. . .Mike Vandeman wrote: . .> On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 19:33:18 GMT, Shawn Curry
<[email protected]> .> wrote: .> .> .Penny S wrote: .> .> Slacker scribbled on a scrap
of paper: .> .> .> .>>Dean A. Stepper wrote: .> .>> .> .> http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/art-
icle.do?id=75251&section=BREAKING_NEWS&subsection=BREAKING_NEWS&year=2004&month=1&day=8 .> .> .> .>>
.> .>>[for those of us that hate registering for sites like that .>
.>>http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/010804_nw_mt_lion.html ] .> .>> .> .>>Damn, I can't believe
that. I just rode there the other weekend... I .> .>>love that little trail. .> .>>We were kicking
at this one section, and I my buddy whispers at me, .> .>>bro, check that out." I look over and
there's two deer out in broad .> .>>daylight feeding in a heavily used section of the trail. As I
look .> .>>closer, I notice a few more of them, the whole family was out. I .> .>>thought this is
really strange and a little spooky. I told my friend, .> .>>"C'mon, let's get out of here before we
scare them, not to mention .> .>>they could be *someone's dinner". .> .>> .> .>>I thought mountain
lion attacks on adults were very, very rare ?? .> .>>Anybody have/know any info about mountain lion
habits? .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> just the other day I heard a very interesting news report on NPR
about lions .> .> in particular, especially in Boulder. It seems that they are getting .> .>
habituated to people, and that in some cased they are starting to view .> .> humans as prey. There
was a case cited in Boulder where a lion was stalking .> .> some teens for several days at a high
school, and then killed and ate them. .> .> I may have my facts screwed up, but they were talking
about a recent book .> .> that really questions a lot of the thinking on lions, and looks at how .>
.> animals are changing their patterns with so much human life moving into .> .> their habitats. .>
.> .> .> Penny .> .> .> .> .> .Just when you thought you were the top of the food chain. Sometimes I
.> .get nervous riding alone around here. Its disconcerting thinking of .> .yourself as prey. .> .>
An Orange County equestrian who has been fighting the mountain bikers in Whiting .> park referred to
the bikers as 'meals on wheels'. .> . . .Mike, attacks are inevitable, but extremely rare. Most
attacks are of .hikers, some equestrians and cyclist. Get your facts correct.

What does that have to do with anything? NOTHING.

===

Mike Vandeman wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 04:13:30 GMT, Rick Hopkins <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> . . .Mike Vandeman wrote: . .> On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 19:33:18 GMT, Shawn Curry
> <[email protected]> .> wrote: .> .> .Penny S wrote: .> .> Slacker scribbled on a
> scrap of paper: .> .> .> .>>Dean A. Stepper wrote: .> .>> .> .> http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb-
> /ocr/article.do?id=75251&section=BREAKING_NEWS&subsection=BREAKING_NEWS&year=2004&month=1&day=8 .>
> .> .> .>> .> .>>[for those of us that hate registering for sites like that .>
> .>>http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/010804_nw_mt_lion.html ] .> .>> .> .>>Damn, I can't believe
> that. I just rode there the other weekend... I .> .>>love that little trail. .> .>>We were kicking
> at this one section, and I my buddy whispers at me, .> .>>bro, check that out." I look over and
> there's two deer out in broad .> .>>daylight feeding in a heavily used section of the trail. As I
> look .> .>>closer, I notice a few more of them, the whole family was out. I .> .>>thought this is
> really strange and a little spooky. I told my friend, .> .>>"C'mon, let's get out of here before
> we scare them, not to mention .> .>>they could be *someone's dinner". .> .>> .> .>>I thought
> mountain lion attacks on adults were very, very rare ?? .> .>>Anybody have/know any info about
> mountain lion habits? .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> just the other day I heard a very interesting news
> report on NPR about lions .> .> in particular, especially in Boulder. It seems that they are
> getting .> .> habituated to people, and that in some cased they are starting to view .> .> humans
> as prey. There was a case cited in Boulder where a lion was stalking .> .> some teens for several
> days at a high school, and then killed and ate them. .> .> I may have my facts screwed up, but
> they were talking about a recent book .> .> that really questions a lot of the thinking on lions,
> and looks at how .> .> animals are changing their patterns with so much human life moving into .>
> .> their habitats. .> .> .> .> Penny .> .> .> .> .> .Just when you thought you were the top of the
> food chain. Sometimes I .> .get nervous riding alone around here. Its disconcerting thinking of .>
> .yourself as prey. .> .> An Orange County equestrian who has been fighting the mountain bikers in
> Whiting .> park referred to the bikers as 'meals on wheels'. .> . . .Mike, attacks are inevitable,
> but extremely rare. Most attacks are of .hikers, some equestrians and cyclist. Get your facts
> correct.
>
> What does that have to do with anything? NOTHING.

So yor tirade against mt. bikers the last few days, was somebody else posting as you?
> ===
> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
> help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 06:05:21 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
> .Mike, attacks are inevitable, but extremely rare. Most attacks are of .hikers, some equestrians
> and cyclist. Get your facts correct.
>
> What does that have to do with anything? NOTHING.

Maybe, but the facts are clear:
- Mtn bikers rule.
- Mtn Lions suck.

Who got shot for misbehavin?

Gman

=======
I am working on creating human habitat that is off-limits to wildlife ("pure humanity"). Want to
help? (I spent the previous 8 years advocating auto dependence and road construction.)

PAVE THE WORLD! http://fly.hiwaay.net/~jimes/pave.html
http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/1380/pave.html http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
8&q=alt.pave.the.earth

"Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Maybe, but the facts are clear:
> - Mtn bikers rule.
> - Mtn Lions suck.
>
> Who got shot for misbehavin?
>
> Gman
>
> =======
> I am working on creating human habitat that is off-limits to wildlife ("pure humanity"). Want to
> help? (I spent the previous 8 years advocating auto dependence and road construction.)
>
I'm firing up the chainsaw today. Damn trees. In the way of my project.

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 07:27:04 GMT, Rick Hopkins <[email protected]> wrote:

. . .Mike Vandeman wrote: . .> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 04:13:30 GMT, Rick Hopkins <[email protected]>
wrote: .> .> . .> . .> .Mike Vandeman wrote: .> . .> .> On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 19:33:18 GMT, Shawn
Curry <[email protected]> .> .> wrote: .> .> .> .> .Penny S wrote: .> .> .> Slacker
scribbled on a scrap of paper: .> .> .> .> .> .>>Dean A. Stepper wrote: .> .> .>> .> .> .> http://w-
ww2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=75251&section=BREAKING_NEWS&subsection=BREAKING_NEWS&ye-
ar=2004&month=1&day=8 .> .> .> .> .> .>> .> .> .>>[for those of us that hate registering for sites
like that .> .> .>>http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/010804_nw_mt_lion.html ] .> .> .>> .> .>
.>>Damn, I can't believe that. I just rode there the other weekend... I .> .> .>>love that little
trail. .> .> .>>We were kicking at this one section, and I my buddy whispers at me, .> .> .>>bro,
check that out." I look over and there's two deer out in broad .> .> .>>daylight feeding in a
heavily used section of the trail. As I look .> .> .>>closer, I notice a few more of them, the whole
family was out. I .> .> .>>thought this is really strange and a little spooky. I told my friend, .>
.> .>>"C'mon, let's get out of here before we scare them, not to mention .> .> .>>they could be
*someone's dinner". .> .> .>> .> .> .>>I thought mountain lion attacks on adults were very, very
rare ?? .> .> .>>Anybody have/know any info about mountain lion habits? .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .>
.> .> .> just the other day I heard a very interesting news report on NPR about lions .> .> .> in
particular, especially in Boulder. It seems that they are getting .> .> .> habituated to people, and
that in some cased they are starting to view .> .> .> humans as prey. There was a case cited in
Boulder where a lion was stalking .> .> .> some teens for several days at a high school, and then
killed and ate them. .> .> .> I may have my facts screwed up, but they were talking about a recent
book .> .> .> that really questions a lot of the thinking on lions, and looks at how .> .> .>
animals are changing their patterns with so much human life moving into .> .> .> their habitats. .>
.> .> .> .> .> Penny .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .Just when you thought you were the top of the food
chain. Sometimes I .> .> .get nervous riding alone around here. Its disconcerting thinking of .> .>
.yourself as prey. .> .> .> .> An Orange County equestrian who has been fighting the mountain bikers
in Whiting .> .> park referred to the bikers as 'meals on wheels'. .> .> .> . .> . .> .Mike, attacks
are inevitable, but extremely rare. Most attacks are of .> .hikers, some equestrians and cyclist.
Get your facts correct. .> .> What does that have to do with anything? NOTHING. . .So yor tirade
against mt. bikers the last few days, was somebody else .posting as you?

Show me a "tirade against mountain bikers". You can't, because I am against mountain BIKING, not
mountain BIKERS. Are you really that stupid?????????????????????

.> === .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to .> humans ("pure
habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 .> years fighting auto dependence and road
construction.) .> .> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

===

Mike Vandeman wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 07:27:04 GMT, Rick Hopkins <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> . . .Mike Vandeman wrote: . .> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 04:13:30 GMT, Rick Hopkins
> <[email protected]> wrote: .> .> . .> . .> .Mike Vandeman wrote: .> . .> .> On Fri, 09 Jan 2004
> 19:33:18 GMT, Shawn Curry <[email protected]> .> .> wrote: .> .> .> .> .Penny S
> wrote: .> .> .> Slacker scribbled on a scrap of paper: .> .> .> .> .> .>>Dean A. Stepper wrote: .>
> .> .>> .> .> .> http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=75251&section=BREAKING_NEWS&s-
> ubsection=BREAKING_NEWS&year=2004&month=1&day=8 .> .> .> .> .> .>> .> .> .>>[for those of us that
> hate registering for sites like that .> .>
> .>>http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/010804_nw_mt_lion.html ] .> .> .>> .> .> .>>Damn, I can't
> believe that. I just rode there the other weekend... I .> .> .>>love that little trail. .> .>
> .>>We were kicking at this one section, and I my buddy whispers at me, .> .> .>>bro, check that
> out." I look over and there's two deer out in broad .> .> .>>daylight feeding in a heavily used
> section of the trail. As I look .> .> .>>closer, I notice a few more of them, the whole family was
> out. I .> .> .>>thought this is really strange and a little spooky. I told my friend, .> .>
> .>>"C'mon, let's get out of here before we scare them, not to mention .> .> .>>they could be
> *someone's dinner". .> .> .>> .> .> .>>I thought mountain lion attacks on adults were very, very
> rare ?? .> .> .>>Anybody have/know any info about mountain lion habits? .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .>
> .> .> .> just the other day I heard a very interesting news report on NPR about lions .> .> .> in
> particular, especially in Boulder. It seems that they are getting .> .> .> habituated to people,
> and that in some cased they are starting to view .> .> .> humans as prey. There was a case cited
> in Boulder where a lion was stalking .> .> .> some teens for several days at a high school, and
> then killed and ate them. .> .> .> I may have my facts screwed up, but they were talking about a
> recent book .> .> .> that really questions a lot of the thinking on lions, and looks at how .> .>
> .> animals are changing their patterns with so much human life moving into .> .> .> their
> habitats. .> .> .> .> .> .> Penny .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .Just when you thought you were the top
> of the food chain. Sometimes I .> .> .get nervous riding alone around here. Its disconcerting
> thinking of .> .> .yourself as prey. .> .> .> .> An Orange County equestrian who has been fighting
> the mountain bikers in Whiting .> .> park referred to the bikers as 'meals on wheels'. .> .> .> .
> .> . .> .Mike, attacks are inevitable, but extremely rare. Most attacks are of .> .hikers, some
> equestrians and cyclist. Get your facts correct. .> .> What does that have to do with anything?
> NOTHING. . .So yor tirade against mt. bikers the last few days, was somebody else .posting as you?
>
> Show me a "tirade against mountain bikers". You can't, because I am against mountain BIKING, not
> mountain BIKERS. Are you really that stupid?????????????????????
>
You spelled it correctly, good for you. Reread what you just read, this is the same logic that Anti-
semites use, "I am not against Jews, just zionist or just what they stand for or etc, etc, etc,". As
a Jew, I unfortuately see the parrarell all too much.

> .> === .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to .> humans ("pure
> habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 .> years fighting auto dependence and road
> construction.) .> .> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
>
> ===
>

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 04:11:45 GMT, Rick Hopkins <[email protected]> wrote:

. . .Mike Vandeman wrote: . .> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 07:27:04 GMT, Rick Hopkins <[email protected]>
wrote: .> .> . .> . .> .Mike Vandeman wrote: .> . .> .> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 04:13:30 GMT, Rick
Hopkins <[email protected]> wrote: .> .> .> .> . .> .> . .> .> .Mike Vandeman wrote: .> .> . .>
.> .> On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 19:33:18 GMT, Shawn Curry <[email protected]> .> .> .>
wrote: .> .> .> .> .> .> .Penny S wrote: .> .> .> .> Slacker scribbled on a scrap of paper: .> .> .>
.> .> .> .> .>>Dean A. Stepper wrote: .> .> .> .>> .> .> .> .> http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/oc-
r/article.do?id=75251&section=BREAKING_NEWS&subsection=BREAKING_NEWS&year=2004&month=1&day=8 .> .>
.> .> .> .> .> .>> .> .> .> .>>[for those of us that hate registering for sites like that .> .> .>
.>>http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/010804_nw_mt_lion.html ] .> .> .> .>> .> .> .> .>>Damn, I can't
believe that. I just rode there the other weekend... I .> .> .> .>>love that little trail. .> .> .>
.>>We were kicking at this one section, and I my buddy whispers at me, .> .> .> .>>bro, check that
out." I look over and there's two deer out in broad .> .> .> .>>daylight feeding in a heavily used
section of the trail. As I look .> .> .> .>>closer, I notice a few more of them, the whole family
was out. I .> .> .> .>>thought this is really strange and a little spooky. I told my friend, .> .>
.> .>>"C'mon, let's get out of here before we scare them, not to mention .> .> .> .>>they could be
*someone's dinner". .> .> .> .>> .> .> .> .>>I thought mountain lion attacks on adults were very,
very rare ?? .> .> .> .>>Anybody have/know any info about mountain lion habits? .> .> .> .> .> .> .>
.> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> just the other day I heard a very interesting news report on NPR about
lions .> .> .> .> in particular, especially in Boulder. It seems that they are getting .> .> .> .>
habituated to people, and that in some cased they are starting to view .> .> .> .> humans as prey.
There was a case cited in Boulder where a lion was stalking .> .> .> .> some teens for several days
at a high school, and then killed and ate them. .> .> .> .> I may have my facts screwed up, but they
were talking about a recent book .> .> .> .> that really questions a lot of the thinking on lions,
and looks at how .> .> .> .> animals are changing their patterns with so much human life moving into
.> .> .> .> their habitats. .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> Penny .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .Just
when you thought you were the top of the food chain. Sometimes I .> .> .> .get nervous riding alone
around here. Its disconcerting thinking of .> .> .> .yourself as prey. .> .> .> .> .> .> An Orange
County equestrian who has been fighting the mountain bikers in Whiting .> .> .> park referred to the
bikers as 'meals on wheels'. .> .> .> .> .> . .> .> . .> .> .Mike, attacks are inevitable, but
extremely rare. Most attacks are of .> .> .hikers, some equestrians and cyclist. Get your facts
correct. .> .> .> .> What does that have to do with anything? NOTHING. .> . .> .So yor tirade
against mt. bikers the last few days, was somebody else .> .posting as you? .> .> Show me a "tirade
against mountain bikers". You can't, because I am against .> mountain BIKING, not mountain BIKERS.
Are you really that .> stupid????????????????????? .> .You spelled it correctly, good for you.
Reread what you just read, this .is the same logic that Anti-semites use, "I am not against Jews,
just .zionist or just what they stand for or etc, etc, etc,". As a Jew, I .unfortuately see the
parrarell all too much.

I guess you still haven't looked up "non sequitur" in the dictionary. You are avoiding the fact that
you just LIED.
===

Mike Vandeman wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 04:11:45 GMT, Rick Hopkins <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> . . .Mike Vandeman wrote: . .> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 07:27:04 GMT, Rick Hopkins
> <[email protected]> wrote: .> .> . .> . .> .Mike Vandeman wrote: .> . .> .> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004
> 04:13:30 GMT, Rick Hopkins <[email protected]> wrote: .> .> .> .> . .> .> . .> .> .Mike
> Vandeman wrote: .> .> . .> .> .> On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 19:33:18 GMT, Shawn Curry
> <[email protected]> .> .> .> wrote: .> .> .> .> .> .> .Penny S wrote: .> .> .> .>
> Slacker scribbled on a scrap of paper: .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .>>Dean A. Stepper wrote: .> .> .> .>>
> .> .> .> .> http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=75251&section=BREAKING_NEWS&subse-
> ction=BREAKING_NEWS&year=2004&month=1&day=8 .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .>> .> .> .> .>>[for those of us
> that hate registering for sites like that .> .> .>
> .>>http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/010804_nw_mt_lion.html ] .> .> .> .>> .> .> .> .>>Damn, I
> can't believe that. I just rode there the other weekend... I .> .> .> .>>love that little trail.
> .> .> .> .>>We were kicking at this one section, and I my buddy whispers at me, .> .> .> .>>bro,
> check that out." I look over and there's two deer out in broad .> .> .> .>>daylight feeding in a
> heavily used section of the trail. As I look .> .> .> .>>closer, I notice a few more of them, the
> whole family was out. I .> .> .> .>>thought this is really strange and a little spooky. I told my
> friend, .> .> .> .>>"C'mon, let's get out of here before we scare them, not to mention .> .> .>
> .>>they could be *someone's dinner". .> .> .> .>> .> .> .> .>>I thought mountain lion attacks on
> adults were very, very rare ?? .> .> .> .>>Anybody have/know any info about mountain lion habits?
> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> just the other day I heard a very interesting news
> report on NPR about lions .> .> .> .> in particular, especially in Boulder. It seems that they are
> getting .> .> .> .> habituated to people, and that in some cased they are starting to view .> .>
> .> .> humans as prey. There was a case cited in Boulder where a lion was stalking .> .> .> .> some
> teens for several days at a high school, and then killed and ate them. .> .> .> .> I may have my
> facts screwed up, but they were talking about a recent book .> .> .> .> that really questions a
> lot of the thinking on lions, and looks at how .> .> .> .> animals are changing their patterns
> with so much human life moving into .> .> .> .> their habitats. .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> Penny .>
> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .Just when you thought you were the top of the food chain. Sometimes
> I .> .> .> .get nervous riding alone around here. Its disconcerting thinking of .> .> .> .yourself
> as prey. .> .> .> .> .> .> An Orange County equestrian who has been fighting the mountain bikers
> in Whiting .> .> .> park referred to the bikers as 'meals on wheels'. .> .> .> .> .> . .> .> . .>
> .> .Mike, attacks are inevitable, but extremely rare. Most attacks are of .> .> .hikers, some
> equestrians and cyclist. Get your facts correct. .> .> .> .> What does that have to do with
> anything? NOTHING. .> . .> .So yor tirade against mt. bikers the last few days, was somebody else
> .> .posting as you? .> .> Show me a "tirade against mountain bikers". You can't, because I am
> against .> mountain BIKING, not mountain BIKERS. Are you really that .>
> stupid????????????????????? .> .You spelled it correctly, good for you. Reread what you just read,
> this .is the same logic that Anti-semites use, "I am not against Jews, just .zionist or just what
> they stand for or etc, etc, etc,". As a Jew, I .unfortuately see the parrarell all too much.
>
> I guess you still haven't looked up "non sequitur" in the dictionary. You are avoiding the fact
> that you just LIED.

Frankly you are the non-sequitor king. You are unable to hold a thought and those you do are trival.

> ===
>

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:01:38 GMT, Rick Hopkins <[email protected]> wrote:

. . .Mike Vandeman wrote: . .> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 04:11:45 GMT, Rick Hopkins <[email protected]>
wrote: .> .> . .> . .> .Mike Vandeman wrote: .> . .> .> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 07:27:04 GMT, Rick
Hopkins <[email protected]> wrote: .> .> .> .> . .> .> . .> .> .Mike Vandeman wrote: .> .> . .>
.> .> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 04:13:30 GMT, Rick Hopkins <[email protected]> wrote: .> .> .> .> .> .>
. .> .> .> . .> .> .> .Mike Vandeman wrote: .> .> .> . .> .> .> .> On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 19:33:18 GMT,
Shawn Curry <[email protected]> .> .> .> .> wrote: .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .Penny S
wrote: .> .> .> .> .> Slacker scribbled on a scrap of paper: .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .>>Dean A.
Stepper wrote: .> .> .> .> .>> .> .> .> .> .> http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=7-
5251&section=BREAKING_NEWS&subsection=BREAKING_NEWS&year=2004&month=1&day=8 .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .>
.> .>> .> .> .> .> .>>[for those of us that hate registering for sites like that .> .> .> .>
.>>http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/010804_nw_mt_lion.html ] .> .> .> .> .>> .> .> .> .> .>>Damn, I
can't believe that. I just rode there the other weekend... I .> .> .> .> .>>love that little trail.
.> .> .> .> .>>We were kicking at this one section, and I my buddy whispers at me, .> .> .> .>
.>>bro, check that out." I look over and there's two deer out in broad .> .> .> .> .>>daylight
feeding in a heavily used section of the trail. As I look .> .> .> .> .>>closer, I notice a few more
of them, the whole family was out. I .> .> .> .> .>>thought this is really strange and a little
spooky. I told my friend, .> .> .> .> .>>"C'mon, let's get out of here before we scare them, not to
mention .> .> .> .> .>>they could be *someone's dinner". .> .> .> .> .>> .> .> .> .> .>>I thought
mountain lion attacks on adults were very, very rare ?? .> .> .> .> .>>Anybody have/know any info
about mountain lion habits? .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> just the
other day I heard a very interesting news report on NPR about lions .> .> .> .> .> in particular,
especially in Boulder. It seems that they are getting .> .> .> .> .> habituated to people, and that
in some cased they are starting to view .> .> .> .> .> humans as prey. There was a case cited in
Boulder where a lion was stalking .> .> .> .> .> some teens for several days at a high school, and
then killed and ate them. .> .> .> .> .> I may have my facts screwed up, but they were talking about
a recent book .> .> .> .> .> that really questions a lot of the thinking on lions, and looks at how
.> .> .> .> .> animals are changing their patterns with so much human life moving into .> .> .> .>
.> their habitats. .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> Penny .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .> .>
.Just when you thought you were the top of the food chain. Sometimes I .> .> .> .> .get nervous
riding alone around here. Its disconcerting thinking of .> .> .> .> .yourself as prey. .> .> .> .>
.> .> .> .> An Orange County equestrian who has been fighting the mountain bikers in Whiting .> .>
.> .> park referred to the bikers as 'meals on wheels'. .> .> .> .> .> .> .> . .> .> .> . .> .> .>
.Mike, attacks are inevitable, but extremely rare. Most attacks are of .> .> .> .hikers, some
equestrians and cyclist. Get your facts correct. .> .> .> .> .> .> What does that have to do with
anything? NOTHING. .> .> . .> .> .So yor tirade against mt. bikers the last few days, was somebody
else .> .> .posting as you? .> .> .> .> Show me a "tirade against mountain bikers". You can't,
because I am against .> .> mountain BIKING, not mountain BIKERS. Are you really that .> .>
stupid????????????????????? .> .> .> .You spelled it correctly, good for you. Reread what you just
read, this .> .is the same logic that Anti-semites use, "I am not against Jews, just .> .zionist or
just what they stand for or etc, etc, etc,". As a Jew, I .> .unfortuately see the parrarell all too
much. .> .> I guess you still haven't looked up "non sequitur" in the dictionary. You are .>
avoiding the fact that you just LIED. . . .Frankly you are the non-sequitor king. You are unable to
hold a thought .and those you do are trival.

You can't even spell it, much less understand it.
===

Status
Not open for further replies.