Mountain biker looking to get into road biking

EX9

Mar 19, 2010
Looking for opinions about the road bikes that I have been test riding......

Scott CR-1 Comp
Trek Madone 4.5 & 4.7
Look 555
Specialized Tarmac
Orbea Onix

Most of the models I have been riding are 2009 models with Ultegra component group with the exception of the Scott. Since I have not been on a road bike basically forever I have nothing to compare. I have been on mountain bikes pretty regularly (2-3 times a week during the season, for about the last 15 years). I can honestly say that I cannot see large differences in the way any of these bikes feel on my test rides. Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,

If you've test rode each bike and they all feel the same to you then you need to be looking at the technology of each bike. Search out reviews for each bike and then find a forum and search for opinions on each bike from riders. Forums are always better than reviews because you are getting the thoughts from genuine people who ride the bike on a regular basis. If it has any problems it will be flagged up in the forums.

Comming from a mountain bike angle the road bikes may all seem the same to you but each bike will have its strengths and weaknesses which will only show up under riding conditions.

It's always a challenge choosing a new bike, I spent two months choosing one last year. The one I had my heart set on had such bad reviews in a number of forums that I went for something else. I ended up with a good bike that I like.

Do some research on the net for a few hours, like you already are doing, and you'll get the right answers.
Good Luck
Paul

EX9 said:

Scott CR-1 Comp
Trek Madone 4.5 & 4.7
Look 555
Specialized Tarmac
Orbea Onix

Most of the models I have been riding are 2009 models with Ultegra component group with the exception of the Scott. Since I have not been on a road bike basically forever I have nothing to compare. I have been on mountain bikes pretty regularly (2-3 times a week during the season, for about the last 15 years). I can honestly say that I cannot see large differences in the way any of these bikes feel on my test rides. Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,

they are all great bikes... which one do you LIKE better? Ultegra is a solid group; which one had better wheels? which saddle feels better? Make sure the fit is correct before you buy

EX9 said:

Scott CR-1 Comp
Trek Madone 4.5 & 4.7
Look 555
Specialized Tarmac
Orbea Onix

Thanks,

I have an 09 Madone 4.5. I love the bike. I was worried because I am 200lbs. No problem though. Step on it and this guy goes. It is right at home among my buddies bikes that cost 2 to 3 times as much. I did trash the no name brakes and went with Ultegra to match rear derailer, and I just ordered a set of Easton wheels. Buy it, you will not regret it. Good Luck!

I don't see a problem with any of those bikes either. I agree with the other guys to check out forums to see if there are any red flags for any of those bikes. I ride a 2009 Ultegra groupo and absolutely love it. Fit would be my most important factor. Another thing to consider is which one do you like best, meaning style issues because you wanna feel like your bike looks good.

I agree with you as well, that most of them are going to ride very simalar. Nothing wrong with the bling thing either. So everything being equal. go for which one you like the most. surely you have seen a bike that you like and went, I LIKE THAT. I also used to ride a mtn bike. You will love the road bike thing!

EX9 said:

Scott CR-1 Comp
Trek Madone 4.5 & 4.7
Look 555
Specialized Tarmac
Orbea Onix

Thanks,

My boyfriend and I are making the switch too. We both just bought Specialized. Ruby for me, and the Tarmac for him.

He's an avid mountain biker (has 3 of them!), and has done numerous adventure triathlons. Of all the bike names he has tried, and sometimes totalled, he thoroughly recommended Specialized. Higher quality base components, and more bang for your buck, compared to other roadies.

We went to the National Bike Show too, and Specialized was the name of choice from most vendors.
My opinion isn't worth salt, but most pros and shop owners swear by Specialized, and the Tarmac is just a really nice bike!

Cant agree more... Lifelong MTB guy now pulling Double Cents on my Tarmac Pro

Rock:)