Mountain Biker Turned Into a Quadriplegic While Riding an Illegal Structure

Mike Vandeman

Guest
North Shore News, May 2, 2007

WV teen hurt in mountain bike accident

A West Vancouver teen is in hospital with a serious spinal injury
after crashing his mountain bike on a popular North Vancouver trail.

The 14-year-old was riding with a friend down the Boogie Man bike
trail on Mount Seymour at about 4:30 p.m. Sunday when he went over an
A-frame ramp and landed badly, colliding head-first with the ground.

District of North Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services and B.C.
Ambulance Service teams rushed to the scene and hiked in with a
wheeled stretcher to where the young man had fallen. When they reached
him, he was complaining he couldn't feel his legs. Rescuers wheeled
him back to the parking lot where an ambulance was waiting but the
rugged terrain complicated the operation, stretching the rescue to
more than two hours.

The boy was taken to B.C. Children's Hospital for treatment, and has
since been moved to a special section for spinal cord injuries at
Vancouver General Hospital. Officials have not updated his condition.

Although the trail is a challenging one, the teen was wearing full
protective gear, and is apparently an accomplished rider.

"Of all the falls that happen in the woods, it wasn't a particularly
nasty one," said Assistant Chief Curtis Bremner of the district fire
department. "It's just one of those freak things." - James Weldon

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

There is no indication that there was any "illegal structure" involved in
this accident.

What information do you have that the structure is illegal?

HINT
Inherently dangerous is not the same as illegal.

On May 22, 6:48 am, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
> North Shore News, May 2, 2007
>
> WV teen hurt in mountain bike accident
>
> A West Vancouver teen is in hospital with a serious spinal injury
> after crashing his mountain bike on a popular North Vancouver trail.
>
> The 14-year-old was riding with a friend down the Boogie Man bike
> trail on Mount Seymour at about 4:30 p.m. Sunday when he went over an
> A-frame ramp and landed badly, colliding head-first with the ground.
>
> District of North Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services and B.C.
> Ambulance Service teams rushed to the scene and hiked in with a
> wheeled stretcher to where the young man had fallen. When they reached
> him, he was complaining he couldn't feel his legs. Rescuers wheeled
> him back to the parking lot where an ambulance was waiting but the
> rugged terrain complicated the operation, stretching the rescue to
> more than two hours.
>
> The boy was taken to B.C. Children's Hospital for treatment, and has
> since been moved to a special section for spinal cord injuries at
> Vancouver General Hospital. Officials have not updated his condition.
>
> Although the trail is a challenging one, the teen was wearing full
> protective gear, and is apparently an accomplished rider.
>
> "Of all the falls that happen in the woods, it wasn't a particularly
> nasty one," said Assistant Chief Curtis Bremner of the district fire
> department. "It's just one of those freak things." - James Weldon
>
> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

vandeman = "just one of those freak things". Crossposts removed.
Please maintain. Tom

"tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On May 22, 6:48 am, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
>> North Shore News, May 2, 2007
>>
>> WV teen hurt in mountain bike accident
>>
>> A West Vancouver teen is in hospital with a serious spinal injury
>> after crashing his mountain bike on a popular North Vancouver trail.
>>
>> The 14-year-old was riding with a friend down the Boogie Man bike
>> trail on Mount Seymour at about 4:30 p.m. Sunday when he went over an
>> A-frame ramp and landed badly, colliding head-first with the ground.
>>
>> District of North Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services and B.C.
>> Ambulance Service teams rushed to the scene and hiked in with a
>> wheeled stretcher to where the young man had fallen. When they reached
>> him, he was complaining he couldn't feel his legs. Rescuers wheeled
>> him back to the parking lot where an ambulance was waiting but the
>> rugged terrain complicated the operation, stretching the rescue to
>> more than two hours.
>>
>> The boy was taken to B.C. Children's Hospital for treatment, and has
>> since been moved to a special section for spinal cord injuries at
>> Vancouver General Hospital. Officials have not updated his condition.
>>
>> Although the trail is a challenging one, the teen was wearing full
>> protective gear, and is apparently an accomplished rider.
>>
>> "Of all the falls that happen in the woods, it wasn't a particularly
>> nasty one," said Assistant Chief Curtis Bremner of the district fire
>> department. "It's just one of those freak things." - James Weldon
>> --
>> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
>> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
>> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>>
>> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
>> fond of!
>>
>> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> vandeman = "just one of those freak things". Crossposts removed.
> Please maintain. Tom

Vandeman is a freak. No further comment.

Oz

Oz wrote:
> "tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On May 22, 6:48 am, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> North Shore News, May 2, 2007
>>>
>>> WV teen hurt in mountain bike accident
>>>
>>> A West Vancouver teen is in hospital with a serious spinal injury
>>> after crashing his mountain bike on a popular North Vancouver trail.
>>>
>>> The 14-year-old was riding with a friend down the Boogie Man bike
>>> trail on Mount Seymour at about 4:30 p.m. Sunday when he went over an
>>> A-frame ramp and landed badly, colliding head-first with the ground.
>>>
>>> District of North Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services and B.C.
>>> Ambulance Service teams rushed to the scene and hiked in with a
>>> wheeled stretcher to where the young man had fallen. When they reached
>>> him, he was complaining he couldn't feel his legs. Rescuers wheeled
>>> him back to the parking lot where an ambulance was waiting but the
>>> rugged terrain complicated the operation, stretching the rescue to
>>> more than two hours.
>>>
>>> The boy was taken to B.C. Children's Hospital for treatment, and has
>>> since been moved to a special section for spinal cord injuries at
>>> Vancouver General Hospital. Officials have not updated his condition.
>>>
>>> Although the trail is a challenging one, the teen was wearing full
>>> protective gear, and is apparently an accomplished rider.
>>>
>>> "Of all the falls that happen in the woods, it wasn't a particularly
>>> nasty one," said Assistant Chief Curtis Bremner of the district fire
>>> department. "It's just one of those freak things." - James Weldon
>>> --
>>> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
>>> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
>>> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>>>
>>> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
>>> fond of!
>>>
>>> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

>> vandeman = "just one of those freak things". Crossposts removed.
>> Please maintain. Tom

> Vandeman is a freak. No further comment.
>
> Oz

John is an excellent young man who not only rode very well but was a
good trail builder on our trail days.Boogieman is not only legal but is
supported by the parks board here in North Vancouver,once again
Vanderman shows himself to be a lying dirt bag,my heart and help have
gone out to John and his family John is in good spirits in spite of not
being able to feel his legs at the moment the doctors say it is to early
to be certain the damage is permanent.So I hope for all of your best
wishes for John and a special pit in hell for Vanderdam!

"wizardB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Oz wrote:
>> "tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> vandeman = "just one of those freak things". Crossposts removed.
>>> Please maintain. Tom

>> Vandeman is a freak. No further comment.
>>
>> Oz

> John is an excellent young man who not only rode very well but was a good
> trail builder on our trail days.Boogieman is not only legal but is
> supported by the parks board here in North Vancouver,once again Vanderman
> shows himself to be a lying dirt bag,my heart and help have gone out to
> John and his family John is in good spirits in spite of not being able to
> feel his legs at the moment the doctors say it is to early to be certain
> the damage is permanent.So I hope for all of your best wishes for John and
> a special pit in hell for Vanderdam!

As I said, Vandeman/Vanderman is a freak.

Oz

On Tue, 22 May 2007 15:49:13 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>There is no indication that there was any "illegal structure" involved in
>this accident.

It was built without permission on public lands. No public agency in
theri right mind would allow that obviously dangerous structure to be
built.

On Wed, 23 May 2007 03:05:53 GMT, wizardB <[email protected]> wrote:

>Oz wrote:
>> "tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> vandeman = "just one of those freak things". Crossposts removed.
>>> Please maintain. Tom

>> Vandeman is a freak. No further comment.
>>
>> Oz
>>

>John is an excellent young man who not only rode very well but was a
>good trail builder on our trail days.Boogieman is not only legal but is
>supported by the parks board here in North Vancouver

BS. It was built without permission on public land. That's illegal.

,once again
>Vanderman shows himself to be a lying dirt bag,my heart and help have
>gone out to John and his family John is in good spirits in spite of not
>being able to feel his legs at the moment the doctors say it is to early
>to be certain the damage is permanent.So I hope for all of your best
>wishes for John and a special pit in hell for Vanderdam!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> On Wed, 23 May 2007 03:05:53 GMT, wizardB <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Oz wrote:
>>> "tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Vandeman is a freak. No further comment.
>>>
>>> Oz
>>>

>>John is an excellent young man who not only rode very well but was a
>>good trail builder on our trail days.Boogieman is not only legal but is
>>supported by the parks board here in North Vancouver

> BS. It was built without permission on public land. That's illegal.

You are a complete and total ass. The trail is legal. Read that again,
moron: LEGAL!!!!!!!

"Ist-e Mundus, Furia bundus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>>>John is an excellent young man who not only rode very well but was a
>>>good trail builder on our trail days.Boogieman is not only legal but is
>>>supported by the parks board here in North Vancouver

>> BS. It was built without permission on public land. That's illegal.
>>

> You are a complete and total ass. The trail is legal. Read that again,
> moron: LEGAL!!!!!!!

Once again, vandeman is a freak. He rails against all mtb and to give him
any credit at all is seriously lacking in perspective.

We ALL need to ignore his asinine statements and efforts.

Oz

> On Tue, 22 May 2007 15:49:13 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>There is no indication that there was any "illegal structure" involved in
>>this accident.

> It was built without permission on public lands. No public agency in
> theri right mind would allow that obviously dangerous structure to be
> built.

Do you have any FACTUAL evidence, because there is no indication in the
story that what you said is true.

"Oz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ist-e Mundus, Furia bundus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> BS. It was built without permission on public land. That's illegal.
>>>

>> You are a complete and total ass. The trail is legal. Read that again,
>> moron: LEGAL!!!!!!!

> Once again, vandeman is a freak. He rails against all mtb and to give him
> any credit at all is seriously lacking in perspective.
>
> We ALL need to ignore his asinine statements and efforts.

Michael is exactly the kind of asshole that we must never ignore. He flashes
his phony PhD and his expired Sierra Club Membership card, and he has an
audience among like minded people with actual credentials in the field Mike
likes to play in.

If you actually like to go outside, you should point out Mike's illogical
rants and invalid assertions whenever and wherever they occur. Do not stoop
to his level, simply point out his error(s). Allow him to toss out the first
"liar" or whatever his non-sequitur du jour is.

On Wed, 23 May 2007 21:59:26 -0600, "Ist-e Mundus, Furia bundus"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>>>John is an excellent young man who not only rode very well but was a
>>>good trail builder on our trail days.Boogieman is not only legal but is
>>>supported by the parks board here in North Vancouver

>> BS. It was built without permission on public land. That's illegal.
>>

>You are a complete and total ass. The trail is legal. Read that again,
>moron: LEGAL!!!!!!!

I know from someone who lives there that when the the trail was built,
the trail builder had NO permission, making the trail illegal.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Thu, 24 May 2007 14:41:19 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Tue, 22 May 2007 15:49:13 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>There is no indication that there was any "illegal structure" involved in
>>>this accident.

>> It was built without permission on public lands. No public agency in
>> theri right mind would allow that obviously dangerous structure to be
>> built.
>>

>Do you have any FACTUAL evidence, because there is no indication in the
>story that what you said is true.

Yes, from someone who lives there.

On May 24, 9:34 am, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 May 2007 14:41:19 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >> It was built without permission on public lands. No public agency in
> >> theri right mind would allow that obviously dangerous structure to be
> >> built.

> >Do you have any FACTUAL evidence, because there is no indication in the
> >story that what you said is true.

> Yes, from someone who lives there.
>
> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Who's the person? Site the BC law that it was illegal.

"Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Oz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Ist-e Mundus, Furia bundus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> You are a complete and total ass. The trail is legal. Read that again,
>>> moron: LEGAL!!!!!!!

>> Once again, vandeman is a freak. He rails against all mtb and to give
>> him any credit at all is seriously lacking in perspective.
>>
>> We ALL need to ignore his asinine statements and efforts.
>>

> Michael is exactly the kind of asshole that we must never ignore. He
> flashes his phony PhD and his expired Sierra Club Membership card, and he
> has an audience among like minded people with actual credentials in the
> field Mike likes to play in.
>
> If you actually like to go outside, you should point out Mike's illogical
> rants and invalid assertions whenever and wherever they occur. Do not
> stoop to his level, simply point out his error(s). Allow him to toss out
> the first "liar" or whatever his non-sequitur du jour is.

Good points.

> On Thu, 24 May 2007 14:41:19 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>> It was built without permission on public lands. No public agency in
>>> theri right mind would allow that obviously dangerous structure to be
>>> built.
>>>

>>Do you have any FACTUAL evidence, because there is no indication in the
>>story that what you said is true.

> Yes, from someone who lives there.

From the land owner, or is your fact-base anecdotal?

The facts as presented, except by you, are that the land owner has allowed
the bike riders to ride on his land. You assert "illegal" activity, but
there is no indication other than your unfounded assertion that anything
illegal is taking place.

On 24 May 2007 10:04:10 -0700, SGK <[email protected]> wrote:

>On May 24, 9:34 am, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 May 2007 14:41:19 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"
>>

>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >news:[email protected]...

>> >Do you have any FACTUAL evidence, because there is no indication in the
>> >story that what you said is true.

>> Yes, from someone who lives there.
>> --
>> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
>> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
>> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>>
>> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!
>>
>> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

>Who's the person? Site the BC law that it was illegal.

Do your own homework. It's obvious to everyone else. You can't do
whatever you want to on public land, ANYWHERE in the world.

On Thu, 24 May 2007 17:06:59 GMT, "Oz" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> "Oz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "Ist-e Mundus, Furia bundus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Once again, vandeman is a freak. He rails against all mtb and to give
>>> him any credit at all is seriously lacking in perspective.
>>>
>>> We ALL need to ignore his asinine statements and efforts.
>>>

>> Michael is exactly the kind of asshole that we must never ignore. He
>> flashes his phony PhD and his expired Sierra Club Membership card, and he
>> has an audience among like minded people with actual credentials in the
>> field Mike likes to play in.
>>
>> If you actually like to go outside, you should point out Mike's illogical
>> rants and invalid assertions whenever and wherever they occur. Do not
>> stoop to his level, simply point out his error(s). Allow him to toss out
>> the first "liar" or whatever his non-sequitur du jour is.

>Good points.

Not really. For example, I am a lifetime member of the Sierra Club.
But expecting truth from a mountain biker is like expecting it from a
lawyer. Probability close to zero.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

>>> Michael is exactly the kind of asshole that we must never ignore. He
>>> flashes his phony PhD and his expired Sierra Club Membership card, and
>>> he
>>> has an audience among like minded people with actual credentials in the
>>> field Mike likes to play in.
>>>
>>> If you actually like to go outside, you should point out Mike's
>>> illogical
>>> rants and invalid assertions whenever and wherever they occur. Do not
>>> stoop to his level, simply point out his error(s). Allow him to toss out
>>> the first "liar" or whatever his non-sequitur du jour is.

>>Good points.

> Not really. For example, I am a lifetime member of the Sierra Club.
> But expecting truth from a mountain biker is like expecting it from a
> lawyer. Probability close to zero.

Big deal.

The status of your SC card is not important to anybody but you. You
completely miss the point I was making. The guy you replied to managed to
get the points just fine. Given the fact he's a mountain biker, and you're
the PhD, it looks to me like PhDs are the ones we ought not expect truth
from ...