Mountain Bikers Are Destroying Colorado!

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc' started by Mike Vandeman, Jun 27, 2004.

  1. From: a hiker/equestrian
    Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 10:38:36 EDT
    Subject: Re: Mountain Bikers Sacrifice Trees to Build Their Trails

    I find this truly disgusting. I have just come back from Colorado Springs
    where I walk in a wild park behind my parents house. Colorado foolishly allowed
    mountain biking and is paying a huge price for it. The Park I walked a year
    ago has three times the amount of illegal single track trails than it had last
    year, and the erosion is devastating. Also the tire tracks have cut into the
    ancient sandstone formations, a damage that can never be repaired. These
    formations are 60 million years old, and are now scarred and worn in one year.

    There are bikers everywhere, whooping and hollering and leaping off cliffs.
    Awful.

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    Tags:

  2. tcmedara

    tcmedara Guest

    > There are bikers everywhere, whooping and hollering and leaping off
    > cliffs. Awful.

    It's that damn "whooping and hollering" that'll be the demise of the sport,
    I'm sure.

    Tom

  3. Kent

    Kent Guest

    You have to love him don't you! He's like a cousin you only see on weddings
    and funerals and sits in the corner all alone wearing grannies special
    knitted sweater. Then secretly hides in the toilet with a Wal-Mart catalogue
    and some arse paper. Which one he looks at is unknown at this time.
    Kent
    > From: a hiker/equestrian
    > Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 10:38:36 EDT
    > Subject: Re: Mountain Bikers Sacrifice Trees to Build Their Trails
    >
    > I find this truly disgusting. I have just come back from Colorado Springs
    > where I walk in a wild park behind my parents house. Colorado foolishly

    allowed
    > mountain biking and is paying a huge price for it. The Park I walked a

    year
    > ago has three times the amount of illegal single track trails than it had

    last
    > year, and the erosion is devastating. Also the tire tracks have cut into

    the
    > ancient sandstone formations, a damage that can never be repaired. These
    > formations are 60 million years old, and are now scarred and worn in one

    year.

    > There are bikers everywhere, whooping and hollering and leaping off

    cliffs.
    > Awful.
    >
    > ===
    >
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  4. Disco Stu

    Disco Stu Guest

    Mike Vandeman wrote:
    > From: a hiker/equestrian
    > Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 10:38:36 EDT
    > Subject: Re: Mountain Bikers Sacrifice Trees to Build Their Trails
    >
    > The Park I walked a year ago has three times the amount of ... single track trails than it had last
    > year.
    > There are bikers everywhere, whooping and hollering and leaping off cliffs.

    Wahhooooo!!!

    Sounds great!!!!!

    Where abouts is it exactly?

  5. Auntie Em

    Auntie Em Guest

    > From: a hiker/equestrian
    > Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 10:38:36 EDT
    > Subject: Re: Mountain Bikers Sacrifice Trees to Build Their Trails
    >
    > I find this truly disgusting. I have just come back from Colorado Springs
    > where I walk in a wild park behind my parents house. Colorado foolishly

    allowed
    > mountain biking and is paying a huge price for it. The Park I walked a

    year
    > ago has three times the amount of illegal single track trails than it had

    last
    > year, and the erosion is devastating. Also the tire tracks have cut into

    the
    > ancient sandstone formations, a damage that can never be repaired. These
    > formations are 60 million years old, and are now scarred and worn in one

    year.

    > There are bikers everywhere, whooping and hollering and leaping off

    cliffs.
    > Awful.

    Colorado is awful anyway. Let them have it. Maybe they'll leave better
    places alone.

    Em

  6. On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:22:07 +0000, Mike Vandeman wrote:

    > There are bikers everywhere, whooping and hollering and leaping off cliffs.
    > Awful.

    All right then. Let's give them prozac, a few sedatives, and some fried
    chicken. That way, they can be dead druggies, but at least they'll be
    quiet.

    Good lord, I *want* my kids to be whooping and hollering. I don't know
    about the leaping off cliffs part... But that sounds like normal activity
    for kids and young people.

    --Kamus

    --
    o |
    o__ >[] | A roadie who doesn't ride a mountain bike has no soul.

  7. di

    di Guest

    > There are bikers everywhere, whooping and hollering and leaping off

    cliffs.
    > Awful.
    >
    > ===
    >
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    So, idiot environmentalist have already destroyed California.

  8. Alan

    Alan Guest

    what a brilliant discussion this is. do you really think that
    environmentalists have destroyed california? take a trip to w. virginia or
    better yet pittsburgh or the shore of lake ontario where there are no
    environmentalists. have you ever been to mexico?

    news:[email protected]

  9. Mike Vandeman wrote:
    > From: a hiker/equestrian
    > Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 10:38:36 EDT
    > Subject: Re: Mountain Bikers Sacrifice Trees to Build Their Trails
    >
    > I find this truly disgusting. I have just come back from Colorado Springs
    > where I walk in a wild park behind my parents house. Colorado foolishly allowed
    > mountain biking and is paying a huge price for it. The Park I walked a year
    > ago has three times the amount of illegal single track trails than it had last
    > year, and the erosion is devastating. Also the tire tracks have cut into the
    > ancient sandstone formations, a damage that can never be repaired. These
    > formations are 60 million years old, and are now scarred and worn in one year.
    >
    > There are bikers everywhere, whooping and hollering and leaping off cliffs.
    > Awful.
    >
    > ===
    >
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    IT"S NOT A "WILD PARK" IT'S CALLED "OPEN SPACE PARK".
    Which is just a new way of calling a city park something PC.

    What about all the houses being built practically IN THE PARK?
    IS THAT YOUR HOUSE? I HOPE IT BURNS DOWN THE NEXT TIME WE HAVE A GOOD
    FOREST FIRE!
    I guess it's OK for your parents to build a house next to the park,
    but not OK for me to ride my bike there? Gee thanks Mike!

  10. di

    di Guest

    Burn Baby Burn, but never clear out some of the brush that would keep your
    property from burning

    "Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > what a brilliant discussion this is. do you really think that
    > environmentalists have destroyed california? take a trip to w. virginia or
    > better yet pittsburgh or the shore of lake ontario where there are no
    > environmentalists. have you ever been to mexico?
    >
    > "di" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > > There are bikers everywhere, whooping and hollering and leaping off

    > > cliffs.
    > > > Awful.
    > > >
    > > > ===
    > > > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    > > > humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    > > > years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
    > > >
    > > > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    > > So, idiot environmentalist have already destroyed California.

  11. supabonbon

    supabonbon Guest

    Disco Stu <[email protected]_dance_studio.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Mike Vandeman wrote:
    > > From: a hiker/equestrian
    > > Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 10:38:36 EDT
    > > Subject: Re: Mountain Bikers Sacrifice Trees to Build Their Trails
    > >
    > > The Park I walked a year ago has three times the amount of ... single track trails than it had last
    > > year.
    > > There are bikers everywhere, whooping and hollering and leaping off cliffs.

    > Wahhooooo!!!
    >
    > Sounds great!!!!!
    >
    > Where abouts is it exactly?

    YEEEEHAAAAH! BOOOOOOOOYAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! YIPEEEEEEEEE!

    /SSSSS

  12. R.White

    R.White Guest

    "Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > what a brilliant discussion this is. do you really think that
    > environmentalists have destroyed california? take a trip to w. virginia or
    > better yet pittsburgh or the shore of lake ontario where there are no
    > environmentalists. have you ever been to mexico?

    Please attend the Pittsburgh Enviromental Teaching Workshop
    this July 12th thru 16th.

    To claim there are no enviromentalists in these areas
    is absurd.

  13. Gary S.

    Gary S. Guest

    On 29 Jun 2004 12:49:03 -0700, [email protected] (R.White) wrote:

    >"Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> what a brilliant discussion this is. do you really think that
    >> environmentalists have destroyed california? take a trip to w. virginia or
    >> better yet pittsburgh or the shore of lake ontario where there are no
    >> environmentalists. have you ever been to mexico?

    >Please attend the Pittsburgh Enviromental Teaching Workshop
    >this July 12th thru 16th.
    >
    >To claim there are no enviromentalists in these areas
    >is absurd.

    If they don't make him the keynote speaker, and immediately adopt all
    of his views 100%, he will attack them and call them names.

    Happy trails,
    Gary (net.yogi.bear)

    Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

  14. Disco Stu

    Disco Stu Guest

    That's right Mike. We have plans to DESTROY the entire US, State by
    State. By the time we have finished there will be nothing left. No
    houses, no roadways, no rocks and no flowers - not even a single blade
    of grass will remain standing. If we see a tree we will DESTROY it to
    make picnic tables for trials riders, but it won't be long before we
    DESTROY the picnic tables to use the wood to make make signs for the XC
    trails, but even they will be consumed as millions of downhillers SMASH
    them as they 'whoop and yahoo' while leaping off cliffs.

    Colorado is just the beginning, but once we have turned the entire state
    into one giant mountian bike park, we will move on to New Mexico (we
    already have agents promoting State support of our hobby - check
    http://www.newmexico.org/go/loc/outdoors/page/outdoors-biking.html).
    And don't just think we be satisified when the entire US is DESTROYED.
    Canada, Mexico and Cuba will be DESTROYED. We will drain swamps and
    wetlands to make giant dirt jump tracks. Soon, we will have complete
    control of the entire Americas.

    You can't stop us Mike, despite claiming in your website one of your
    current interests is "Fighting Mountain Biking", you can't win. There
    are millions of us and we are well organized.

  15. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Disco Stu wrote:
    > That's right Mike. We have plans to DESTROY the entire US, State by
    > State. By the time we have finished there will be nothing left. No
    > houses, no roadways, no rocks and no flowers - not even a single
    > blade of grass will remain standing. If we see a tree we will
    > DESTROY it to make picnic tables for trials riders, but it won't be
    > long before we DESTROY the picnic tables to use the wood to make make
    > signs for the XC trails, but even they will be consumed as millions
    > of downhillers SMASH them as they 'whoop and yahoo' while leaping off
    > cliffs.
    >
    > Colorado is just the beginning, but once we have turned the entire
    > state into one giant mountian bike park, we will move on to New
    > Mexico (we already have agents promoting State support of our hobby -
    > check
    > http://www.newmexico.org/go/loc/outdoors/page/outdoors-biking.html).
    > And don't just think we be satisified when the entire US is
    > DESTROYED. Canada, Mexico and Cuba will be DESTROYED. We will drain
    > swamps and wetlands to make giant dirt jump tracks. Soon, we will
    > have complete control of the entire Americas.
    >
    > You can't stop us Mike, despite claiming in your website one of your
    > current interests is "Fighting Mountain Biking", you can't win. There
    > are millions of us and we are well organized.

    I wonder if "Disco Stu" is now on file at Homeland Security?!?

    Bill "false mustache" S.

  16. Disco Stu

    Disco Stu Guest

    S o r n i wrote:
    > Disco Stu wrote:
    >
    >>That's right Mike. We have plans to DESTROY the entire US, State by
    >>State.

    > I wonder if "Disco Stu" is now on file at Homeland Security?!?
    >
    > Bill "false mustache" S.

    Either that, or G W Bush wants to make me a spokesperson for his
    environmental policy.

    He is a mountain biker after all.

  17. On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:22:00 +1200, Disco Stu <[email protected]_dance_studio.com>
    wrote:

    ..S o r n i wrote:
    ..> Disco Stu wrote:
    ..>
    ..>>That's right Mike. We have plans to DESTROY the entire US, State by
    ..>>State.
    ..>
    ..> I wonder if "Disco Stu" is now on file at Homeland Security?!?
    ..>
    ..> Bill "false mustache" S.
    ..>
    ..>
    ..
    ..Either that, or G W Bush wants to make me a spokesperson for his
    ..environmental policy.
    ..
    ..He is a mountain biker after all.

    Proving that mountain bikers are ALL liars. Every last one. QED
    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  18. cc

    cc Guest

    "Gary S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 29 Jun 2004 12:49:03 -0700, [email protected] (R.White) wrote:
    >
    > >"Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> what a brilliant discussion this is. do you really think that
    > >> environmentalists have destroyed california? take a trip to w. virginia

    or
    > >> better yet pittsburgh or the shore of lake ontario where there are no
    > >> environmentalists. have you ever been to mexico?

    > >Please attend the Pittsburgh Enviromental Teaching Workshop
    > >this July 12th thru 16th.
    > >
    > >To claim there are no enviromentalists in these areas
    > >is absurd.

    > If they don't make him the keynote speaker, and immediately adopt all
    > of his views 100%, he will attack them and call them names.
    >
    > Happy trails,
    > Gary (net.yogi.bear)

    Wait, are you talking about MV?

    cc

  19. cc

    cc Guest

    > On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:22:00 +1200, Disco Stu

    <[email protected]_dance_studio.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > .S o r n i wrote:
    > .> Disco Stu wrote:
    > .>
    > .>>That's right Mike. We have plans to DESTROY the entire US, State by
    > .>>State.
    > .>
    > .> I wonder if "Disco Stu" is now on file at Homeland Security?!?
    > .>
    > .> Bill "false mustache" S.
    > .>
    > .>
    > .
    > .Either that, or G W Bush wants to make me a spokesperson for his
    > .environmental policy.
    > .
    > .He is a mountain biker after all.
    >
    > Proving that mountain bikers are ALL liars. Every last one. QED

    Mike, you've taken your cheap shots, but can you please not bastardize QED?
    In my mind, I like to separate you from the academic community. Can you not
    ruin that for me?

    Thanks,
    cc

  20. Gary S.

    Gary S. Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 00:58:20 -0700, "cc" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Gary S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> On 29 Jun 2004 12:49:03 -0700, [email protected] (R.White) wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >news:<[email protected]>...

    >or
    >> >
    >> >Please attend the Pittsburgh Enviromental Teaching Workshop
    >> >this July 12th thru 16th.
    >> >
    >> >To claim there are no enviromentalists in these areas
    >> >is absurd.

    >> If they don't make him the keynote speaker, and immediately adopt all
    >> of his views 100%, he will attack them and call them names.
    >>
    >> Happy trails,
    >> Gary (net.yogi.bear)

    >Wait, are you talking about MV?

    He does claim to speak at all sorts of environmental conferences, and
    uses that to bolster his self-perceived prestige.

    It would be interesting to hear him give a paper, to see if his
    speaking style matches his online style, and how it is received.

    I would like to see how good I am at keeping a straight face.