Mountain Bikers Are Destroying Colorado!

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 20:52:39 GMT, Gary S. <Idontwantspam@net> wrote:

..On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 19:48:42 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>
..wrote:
..
..>On 5 Jul 2004 10:23:31 -0700, [email protected] (JD) wrote:
..>
..>.Disco Stu <stu@springfield_dance_studio.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
..>.> I'm putting you in my list of people to ignore from now on.
..>.
..>.It's about time. Go ride your bike.
..>
..>Yeah, you need to work on your impotence & osteoporosis. (Aren't you glad I now
..>have a new line?)
..>
..New line, same one-note song.
..
..If this went through the same rigorous scientific process as your
..usual, you have taken something out of context, exaggarated it, and
..used it to support your existing opinions.

Ignore it at your peril. In fact, please DO ignore it. :)
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 21:11:52 GMT, "Kriss" <[email protected]> wrote:

..if there 60million years old they could do with some changes, get a life and
..get a bike go for a ride down one of those ILLEGAL single tracks, mybe
..you'll come back with some life in you, i hate mtb haters, we're out to have
..fun and possibly hurt our selves riding off cliffs,
..stressed eric

You are pretty sick, if you think riding illegal trails will help you, OR your
cause.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 23:44:38 GMT, Gary S. <Idontwantspam@net> wrote:

..On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 19:47:32 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>
..wrote:
..
..>On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 16:53:10 GMT, Gary S. <Idontwantspam@net> wrote:
..>
..>.On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 16:15:39 GMT, Mike Vandeman <[email protected]>
..>.wrote:
..>.
..>.>On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 12:34:36 +1200, Disco Stu <stu@springfield_dance_studio.com>
..>.>wrote:
..>.>
..>.>.I'm putting you in my list of people to ignore from now on.
..>.>
..>.>Good. I only care about talking to those who are listening.
..>.>===
..>.You persist in posting to newsgroups and mailing lists where no one
..>.listening,
..>
..>You are listening, liar. But, hey, thanks for demonstrating, once again, that
..>mountain bikers ALWAYS LIE!
..>
..Listening would mean paying attention to the content. At times, I find
..it amusing to interact with your babbling.
..
..I am not a mountain biker, as it happens. It does not seem to make any
..sense to call me one.

Then why do you lie like one?

..What have I demonstrated, and why is it that no one else perceives the
..world the way you do? How does insulting mountain bikers accomplish
..anything?

Nothing. I don't do that. I just tell the truth.

..There is no way to convince you, because you reject any new
..information that does not match what you already believe. Some
..scientist.

Why do you continue to lie? You might as well be a mountain biker. You ACT like
one.

..Is it possible for someone to disagree with you, on any topic, even
..slightly, and not be a liar? Or are you surrounded by a whole world of
..liars?

Why don't you talk about something of substance? This newsgroup is about
MOUNTAIN BIKING.

..It would be great to have a rational discussion about the impact of
..outdoor recreation. Unfortunately, you would turn it into a joke. In
..this way, you stifle discussion, and end up harming the environment.

If you wanted to "have a rational discussion about the impact of outdoor
recreation", you would. Obviously, you'd rather talk about me. Well, I know that
I am a pretty interesting topic. :)

..I know that responding to you will never change your mind or your
..tactics. These exchanges do show you for what you are, not as a
..rational advocate of anything. I have other things to do now, and will
..drop out of these exchanges with you.
..
..That is your cue to call me names. You cannot resist it, it is the
..only way you can interact with other people. You have no control over
..your actions.

You are lying again. You obviously can't help it.

..Happy trails,
..Gary (net.yogi.bear)
..------------------------------------------------
..at the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence
..
..Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
..Please reply to: garyDOTschwartzATpoboxDOTcom

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mountain bikes = the SILENT KILLERS - of hiking trails, flora and fauna. Simple as that! They do nothing for the economy as virtually all of them are imported. A few are assembled in North America. No amount of tourist dollars gained from these "ecotourists" can ever pay for the damage. Trails turn into creeks from their ruts. Ever tried to hike on a trail used by mountain bikes? Tried to walk in the deep V- groove left behind by their tires? Any trail on a steep side hill is wiped out by 'side slipping'. Meadow flowers and grasses are gone forever by their shortcuts. Tree roots are damaged... there is absolutely nothing "environmentally friendly" to be said about these killers. Ptarmigan and Grouse chicks never have a chance... It's impossible to stop this destruction unless "designated areas" are set aside for these machines similar to skate board parks where the riders can be controlled and supervised.
evil.png

You know, I don't live in Colorado. But I do understand where the original poster is coming from. Where I am in New York, many of the hiking trails have been shortened or overall messed up due to the rise of bikers. And at worse, the parks association where I live has allowed for the removing of some foliage to create new bike paths.

I'm not saying biking should be eliminated in moutain ranges. But there needs to be a limit to how many places they do it. Hikers, Campers, and others have to use these very same parks after all. So they have to keep in mind when they make bike paths, they potentially alter a campsite, hiking trail, etc.

Anyone using wilderness areas needs to be sensitive to the environment. Motorbikes would do more damage, but bicyclists enjoying any wilderness area need to not confuse these areas with bike parks. Whether you walk or ride, leave it unchanged. If you damage these areas, you need to be banned. Respect your fellow bikers and don't ruin it for them.. If I take my bike into the wilderness it is to enjoy the wilderness. I am sure that there are many other many cyclists who are not vandals.

I will be certain to include this topic in my next blog post on cycling. Thanks for the idea.

You guys have some serious necromancing skills reviving this 11 year old thread. Anyways - I lived right up next to a forrest for 12 years, and during that time I got to see the woods get destroyed quite significantly by mountain bikers (the terrain was pretty hilly for Danish nature) they would yell a lot and drive around with flashlights on that would occasionally annoy me as well, besides that we had designated bike routes in the forrest that they often ignored. So I know where the original poster was speaking from. It's annoying

Is they're digging up the tracks, then yes they're messing it up and should be banned.

ambal said:
Is they're digging up the tracks, then yes they're messing it up and should be banned.
It's not just that, it's also when they use narrow paths on which people walk their dogs et cetera, it basically makes for some dangerous situations

tcmedara said:

> There are bikers everywhere, whooping and hollering and leaping off
> cliffs. Awful.

It's that damn "whooping and hollering" that'll be the demise of the sport,
I'm sure.

Tom
lmfao Is it more the whooping or more the hollering??? I need to know which to decide on!

I wonder what they were given to actually allow these people to come back there in the first place. They had to have received something to allow these people to enter these restricted grounds. They're basically destroying something that is unrepairable they are destroying a piece of history.

I think that it is good that a cycling forum can not only generate this topic, but as many people who see that it is a problem that needs to be addressed. It is also sad that so many people seem to fail to understand the problem. If you do not at least like the mountains and wilderness, what are you doing owning a mountain bike and using it in the mountains? If you just want to ride a big ramp, go to a bike park with a big ramp. Or at least be polite enough to stick to designated trails and try to not damage them.

It's funny, most of the areas around me are completely ignored by the park service, all but abandoned. The only people who raise money and do any sort of trail conservation work are the mountain bikers and it's like pulling teeth to get a permit to make improvements. What we see is ATVs and Motocross bikes destroying what we repair, not to mention the damage being done by horses. the trails are littered btw with dog waste. Walking/riding is like navigating a minefield.

This is what humans do. No place is safe from the destruction they incur on the world around them. The spread like a virus... A virus that kills everything in its path. Lol

This is what humans do. No place is safe from the destruction they incur on the world around them. The spread like a virus... A virus that kills everything in its path. Lol

Alan said:
I've been to Mexico several times, but I can never remember much past the point where we walked in a bar......

what a brilliant discussion this is. do you really think that
environmentalists have destroyed california? take a trip to w. virginia or
better yet pittsburgh or the shore of lake ontario where there are no
environmentalists. have you ever been to mexico?

"di" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > There are bikers everywhere, whooping and hollering and leaping off

> cliffs.
> > Awful.
> >
> > ===
> > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
> > humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
> > years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
> >
> > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> So, idiot environmentalist have already destroyed California.

Ha well the good thing about sand stone is there is tons of it in the world & the earth is always slowly creating more.

you claim that human interfeerence in nature is wrong, but do humans not also stop forest fires and wildfires that would otherwise claim whole forests ?

Also food for thought people are animals therefore we are part of nature so we cannot interfere with nature we are a function of nature.

In the end of the day its up to the attitude of the mountain bikers to keep the environment in good condition. Some mountain bikers will be disrespectful and damaging but not all of them, so its all about education in my opinion, so that the different parks are used more appropriately :)

Grimp said:
In the end of the day its up to the attitude of the mountain bikers to keep the environment in good condition. Some mountain bikers will be disrespectful and damaging but not all of them, so its all about education in my opinion, so that the different parks are used more appropriately :)
I think it really depends on ones definition of an environment in good condition. I see no reason why some rocks are important just because they are "60 million years old"...

kana_marie said:
This is what humans do. No place is safe from the destruction they incur on the world around them. The spread like a virus... A virus that kills everything in its path. Lol
I like to think of it as a cancer.

I think that you should just get over it. Honestly there is going to be bikers, and they are outside of all places. They aren't going to break your mother's vase. Just let it go and don't get angry about it. It is going to happen.