Mountain Bikers Destroy Rainforest Area as Large as a Football Field!

Mike Vandeman wrote:

>>> Yes, of course.
>>>

>> Of course that is your opinion, biased to your activity; my opinion
>> will differ biased by my activity. You see me leaving a semi-permanent
>> impression on a dirt trail and I see you in a permanent structure
>> burning electricity. Can you prove which of our activities has the
>> greater impact, no!

> It's obvious. A few seconds of a small amount of electricity doesn't
> compare with several hours of ripping up nature (after being driven to
> the trailhead).

Wrong answer. The impact of your electricity source is proven. Mountain
biking's impact is not. QED.

> Just becuase my activity produces a visual direct
>> effect does not make it worse than your activity which causes an
>> indirect displaced effect.
>>

>> When I see a bunch of kids riding in the forest, I understand they're
>> not at home watching TV, not playing computer games, not requiring more
>> electricity for entertainment, maintaining a higher level of fitness
>> and well being AND starting to appreciate nature.

> And I understand that they are learning that the rough treatment of
> nature is acceptable -- just the OPPOSITE of "appreciation" of nature.
> One look at any mountain biking video wil show you that there is ZERO
> "nature appreciation" going on.

Says who, idiot ? Without nature, there would be no mountain biking !

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 18:46:08 -0400, Environ <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Your thousands of hours of on line time equates to many tons of pollution.

Nonsense. Not even close.

>Mike Vandeman wrote:
>> On 5 Oct 2006 05:04:12 -0700, "Marz" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Mike Vandeman wrote:

>> It's obvious. A few seconds of a small amount of electricity doesn't
>> compare with several hours of ripping up nature (after being driven to
>> the trailhead).
>>

>> ===
>> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
>> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
>> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>>
>> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!
>>
>> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

===

Mike Vandeman wrote:

> >> Yes, of course.
> >>

> >Of course that is your opinion, biased to your activity; my opinion
> >will differ biased by my activity. You see me leaving a semi-permanent
> >impression on a dirt trail and I see you in a permanent structure
> >burning electricity. Can you prove which of our activities has the
> >greater impact, no!

> It's obvious. A few seconds of a small amount of electricity doesn't
> compare with several hours of ripping up nature (after being driven to
> the trailhead).

A few seconds compared to several hours of very different activities, I
asked about an hour for hour comparison of activity impact, you choose
to spin your answer, fine. If you don't know the answer, that's fine,
but you could try.

I don't drive to the trailhead, I live where I ride and those kids in
your original post, I'm guessing they rode to that jump zone too as it
was in a neighbourhood zone.

> Just becuase my activity produces a visual direct
> >effect does not make it worse than your activity which causes an
> >indirect displaced effect.
> >

> >When I see a bunch of kids riding in the forest, I understand they're
> >not at home watching TV, not playing computer games, not requiring more
> >electricity for entertainment, maintaining a higher level of fitness
> >and well being AND starting to appreciate nature.

> And I understand that they are learning that the rough treatment of
> nature is acceptable -- just the OPPOSITE of "appreciation" of nature.
> One look at any mountain biking video wil show you that there is ZERO
> "nature appreciation" going on.

It's still a start, this year they'll see tree's providing shade and
their roots providing something to launch their bike off. Next year
they'll fight to protect that area of woodland from more construction.

Imagine you ran a survey about local loss of green zones and asked 1000
teenagers entering a computer game shop and a cycle shop for their
opinion. Which group is going to be more concerned about the loss of a
park or neighbourhood woodland?

Laters,

Marz

Mike Vandeman wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 18:46:08 -0400, Environ <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Your thousands of hours of on line time equates to many tons of pollution.

> Nonsense. Not even close.

Wrong again.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1960428

Mike Vandeman wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 18:46:08 -0400, Environ <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Your thousands of hours of on line time equates to many tons of pollution.

> Nonsense. Not even close.

Your electrical computer usage produces 1.55 pounds CO2 per kWh - you
would do less damage to the world if you used your PC less and started
mountain biking more...

> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

>>> Yes, of course.
>>>

>>Of course that is your opinion, biased to your activity; my opinion
>>will differ biased by my activity. You see me leaving a semi-permanent
>>impression on a dirt trail and I see you in a permanent structure
>>burning electricity. Can you prove which of our activities has the
>>greater impact, no!

> It's obvious. A few seconds of a small amount of electricity doesn't
> compare with several hours of ripping up nature (after being driven to
> the trailhead).

Where does thet "small amount of electricity" come from? Stripmined coal?
Mountaintop removal? Or maybe from an electricity generator in a dam...?
Constructed and forever changing the ecosystem for miles in every direction.
Maybe it is nuclear power transfered to electricity...? Where does the waste
go?

You still have yet to provide an answer as to how "virgin rainforest" is
damaged by people accessing areas in, and I quote the piece YOU posted to
start this. "as it is considered more neighbourhood forested areas at end of
streets, cul-de-sacs, etc"

Your opinion colors every thing you read, regurgitate and report. That is
what is OBVIOUS and why nobody takes you seriously.

> Just becuase my activity produces a visual direct
>>effect does not make it worse than your activity which causes an
>>indirect displaced effect.
>>

>>When I see a bunch of kids riding in the forest, I understand they're
>>not at home watching TV, not playing computer games, not requiring more
>>electricity for entertainment, maintaining a higher level of fitness
>>and well being AND starting to appreciate nature.

> And I understand that they are learning that the rough treatment of
> nature is acceptable -- just the OPPOSITE of "appreciation" of nature.
> One look at any mountain biking video wil show you that there is ZERO
> "nature appreciation" going on.

What you are watching is excitement driven highlights to sell videos. That
does not represent the total of the activity. Just as news footage of an
airline crash does not typify the staus of air travel. You see what you want
to see. That is OBVIOUS and pathetic.

>>Laters,
>>
>>Marz

> ===
>
> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
> fond of!

Poor little man. Afraid of technology. One non-conclusive paper and you are
hooked on the anti-cell conspiracy. Go ahead... Spread yourself into
another battle you can't win.

Hey everybody! If you see MV on the trail, just flash him with your cell and
he'll run away! Problem solved!

> On 4 Oct 2006 09:48:11 -0700, "Marz" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>> NONSENSE! Even ONE person can cause environmental destruction.
>>>

>>You almost got it right, so close. Everyone causes environmental
>>destruction to greater or lesser degree through almost every action
>>they make.
>>
>>Please try and understand this.

> I do, better than you do. Not try to understand this: mountain biking
> is the most destructive activity allowed in any park, and has no
> business in any natural area.

Your opinion has been superceded by NFS rules, land managers, the economy,
and real information that you continue to ignore or label as "junk science"
because it does not fit your agenda.
How many camper's fires have burned thousands upon thousands of natural
area? Yet you insist "mountain biking" is the "most destructive" activity.
Transparent and pathetic.

> Only if he tells the truth. But there's nothing he can say that will
> deny what that photograph shows: pristine rainforest habitat destroyed
> by mountain bikers for some cheap thrills.

I am telling the truth, and backing up what I am saying. It is you who is
fabricating information based on non factual information from and a poor
photograph.

I've already told you I live very close to the area in the photograph (a
couple miles away), and have been there. Where I live is 100 yards from a
Provincial Park. You, on the other hand, have stated that you've only been
within 100 miles of the area in the photo. I grew up and live in this area.
I've worked in the forestry industry. I donate time to maintain our local
trails that are used for hiking, running, and biking. I know the difference
between red cedar, yellow cedar, Douglas fir, hemlock, pine, alder, maple,
cottonwood, etc. I deal with the local habitat on a daily basis. I know
the difference between "pristine, virgin rainforests" and second growth
forests. This isn't the scrubs of California; virgin rainforests in this
area have trees that make those in the photo look like saplings. If you
travel up the mountain a few miles from where that photograph was taken,
THEN you'd find pristine, virgin rainforest.

By the way, that is not a "mountain bike" area. That is a dirt jump park.
It's totally different as the bikes used for dirt jumping are considerably
different than those used for mountain biking. The only similarity is a
piece of metal with two wheels. Also, that dirt jump park is smaller than a
soccer field; we have dozens of soccer fields in the local area. I don't
hear you complaining about all the virgin forest that was completely
decimated for the soccer fields, but I guess a crusade against a group as
large as the soccer community would be a bit too much too chew for you.

Why someone would complain about people getting out to exercise and enjoy
nature is beyond comprehension of a rational person. I suppose it would be
better for everyone to sit behind their computer, as you seem to do a lot
of, and complain about incorrectly perceived problems far, far away. How
about posting some photos of your home and the area around it. Let us all
see how pristine the area where you live is. Or perhaps you only quack?

Unfortunately, there is one or two people with a vastly distorted perception
that attempt to wreak (sic) havoc from the confines of their personal
computer room (you fit into this category). I can give you an example of
someone else.

We have one individual claim that a very small area contained a pond with an
endangered species of frog, and that mountain bikers were purposely riding
through the pond. Besides the fact that mountain bikers riding through the
pond is not only ludicrous, but impossible, the FACT is that the pond is a
remnant of a quarry area that was the end of a slough for log chutes. In
other words, the pond was man made during the logging of the nearby
mountain. Furthermore, there are no endangered species of frogs, and the
type of frog that was claimed to have lived in the pond hasn't been proven
to live there. Further to that, the individual doing all the complaining
had a child that would play in the area with friends, taking frogs and
tadpoles out of the pond. And further to that, the individual doing all the
complaining lives within 100 yards of the pond, and their family drives two
polluting SUVs. Anyone who knows anything about frogs knows that they
breath subcutaneously; those SUVs do more harm to any frogs in the pond than
any mountain biker riding around the pond.

Doesn't matter. Our community has been dealing with land use and management
for years, and sensible thinking has prevailed. We'll continue to use our
resources responsibly, we'll continue to have a society that enjoys the
outdoors rather than the local crack houses, and we'll continue to be one of
the best places to live in the world; all of this, even after you and I are
long gone from this earth.

On 6 Oct 2006 05:40:17 -0700, "Marz" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman wrote:

>> >Of course that is your opinion, biased to your activity; my opinion
>> >will differ biased by my activity. You see me leaving a semi-permanent
>> >impression on a dirt trail and I see you in a permanent structure
>> >burning electricity. Can you prove which of our activities has the
>> >greater impact, no!

>> It's obvious. A few seconds of a small amount of electricity doesn't
>> compare with several hours of ripping up nature (after being driven to
>> the trailhead).

>A few seconds compared to several hours of very different activities, I
>asked about an hour for hour comparison of activity impact, you choose
>to spin your answer, fine. If you don't know the answer, that's fine,
>but you could try.
>
>I don't drive to the trailhead, I live where I ride and those kids in
>your original post, I'm guessing they rode to that jump zone too as it
>was in a neighbourhood zone.
>

>> Just becuase my activity produces a visual direct
>> >effect does not make it worse than your activity which causes an
>> >indirect displaced effect.
>> >

>> >When I see a bunch of kids riding in the forest, I understand they're
>> >not at home watching TV, not playing computer games, not requiring more
>> >electricity for entertainment, maintaining a higher level of fitness
>> >and well being AND starting to appreciate nature.

>> And I understand that they are learning that the rough treatment of
>> nature is acceptable -- just the OPPOSITE of "appreciation" of nature.
>> One look at any mountain biking video wil show you that there is ZERO
>> "nature appreciation" going on.

>It's still a start, this year they'll see tree's providing shade and
>their roots providing something to launch their bike off. Next year
>they'll fight to protect that area of woodland from more construction.

MORE construction? They've already destroyed the habitat. Where were
they when it was being destroyed? What were they "protecting" THEN?
NOTHING. Hypocrites.

>Imagine you ran a survey about local loss of green zones and asked 1000
>teenagers entering a computer game shop and a cycle shop for their
>opinion. Which group is going to be more concerned about the loss of a
>park or neighbourhood woodland?
>
>Laters,
>
>Marz

===

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 13:43:02 -0700, cc <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 18:46:08 -0400, Environ <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Your thousands of hours of on line time equates to many tons of pollution.

>> Nonsense. Not even close.

>Wrong again.
>
>http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1960428

Did you actually READ it? It's about leaving computers on when not in
use. I have never done that.

"In U.S. companies alone, more than $1 billion a year is wasted on
electricity for computer monitors that are turned on when they
shouldn't be."

>> ===
>> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
>> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
>> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>>
>> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are fond of!
>>
>> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 00:45:28 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>>>Of course that is your opinion, biased to your activity; my opinion
>>>will differ biased by my activity. You see me leaving a semi-permanent
>>>impression on a dirt trail and I see you in a permanent structure
>>>burning electricity. Can you prove which of our activities has the
>>>greater impact, no!

>> It's obvious. A few seconds of a small amount of electricity doesn't
>> compare with several hours of ripping up nature (after being driven to
>> the trailhead).

>Where does thet "small amount of electricity" come from? Stripmined coal?
>Mountaintop removal? Or maybe from an electricity generator in a dam...?
>Constructed and forever changing the ecosystem for miles in every direction.
>Maybe it is nuclear power transfered to electricity...? Where does the waste
>go?
>
>You still have yet to provide an answer as to how "virgin rainforest" is
>damaged by people accessing areas in, and I quote the piece YOU posted to
>start this. "as it is considered more neighbourhood forested areas at end of
>streets, cul-de-sacs, etc"
>
>Your opinion colors every thing you read, regurgitate and report. That is
>what is OBVIOUS and why nobody takes you seriously.
>>
>> Just becuase my activity produces a visual direct
>>>effect does not make it worse than your activity which causes an
>>>indirect displaced effect.
>>>

>>>When I see a bunch of kids riding in the forest, I understand they're
>>>not at home watching TV, not playing computer games, not requiring more
>>>electricity for entertainment, maintaining a higher level of fitness
>>>and well being AND starting to appreciate nature.

>> And I understand that they are learning that the rough treatment of
>> nature is acceptable -- just the OPPOSITE of "appreciation" of nature.
>> One look at any mountain biking video wil show you that there is ZERO
>> "nature appreciation" going on.

>What you are watching is excitement driven highlights to sell videos. That
>does not represent the total of the activity. Just as news footage of an
>airline crash does not typify the staus of air travel. You see what you want
>to see. That is OBVIOUS and pathetic.
>>
>>>Laters,
>>>
>>>Marz

>> ===
>> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
>> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
>> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>>
>> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
>> fond of!
>>

>Poor little man. Afraid of technology. One non-conclusive paper and you are
>hooked on the anti-cell conspiracy. Go ahead... Spread yourself into
>another battle you can't win.
>
>Hey everybody! If you see MV on the trail, just flash him with your cell and
>he'll run away! Problem solved!

Did you say something?
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 08:23:31 GMT, "Roberto Baggio"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]

>Unfortunately, there is one or two people with a vastly distorted perception
>that attempt to wreak (sic) havoc from the confines of their personal
>computer room (you fit into this category). I can give you an example of
>someone else.
>
>We have one individual claim that a very small area contained a pond with an
>endangered species of frog, and that mountain bikers were purposely riding
>through the pond. Besides the fact that mountain bikers riding through the
>pond is not only ludicrous, but impossible, the FACT is that the pond is a
>remnant of a quarry area that was the end of a slough for log chutes. In
>other words, the pond was man made during the logging of the nearby
>mountain. Furthermore, there are no endangered species of frogs, and the
>type of frog that was claimed to have lived in the pond hasn't been proven

Liar. I saw the frog myself. I also saw the structures you guys built
in the woods by cutting down live trees, all 100% ILLEGAL. You guys
are a joke. Selfish, destructive, irresponsible liars.

Further to that, the individual doing all the complaining
>had a child that would play in the area with friends, taking frogs and
>tadpoles out of the pond. And further to that, the individual doing all the
>complaining lives within 100 yards of the pond, and their family drives two
>polluting SUVs. Anyone who knows anything about frogs knows that they
>breath subcutaneously; those SUVs do more harm to any frogs in the pond than
>any mountain biker riding around the pond.
>
>Doesn't matter. Our community has been dealing with land use and management
>for years, and sensible thinking has prevailed. We'll continue to use our
>resources responsibly, we'll continue to have a society that enjoys the
>outdoors rather than the local crack houses, and we'll continue to be one of
>the best places to live in the world; all of this, even after you and I are
>long gone from this earth.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

>>Hey everybody! If you see MV on the trail, just flash him with your cell
>>and
>>he'll run away! Problem solved!
>>

> Did you say something?

Yes. And your lack of response on point proves in positive everything I
said.

> On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 08:23:31 GMT, "Roberto Baggio"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> Liar. I saw the frog myself. I also saw the structures you guys built
> in the woods by cutting down live trees, all 100% ILLEGAL. You guys
> are a joke. Selfish, destructive, irresponsible liars.

Wow... You totally ignore everything this person states that is on point
and focus on the frog? A frog you calim to have seen? Yet you state yourself
you have not been within 100 miles of the area in question. That must be
some vision you have! You ignore his statements as someone who lives there,
is familiar with the area, the growth and the actual specifics of the
forests in the area to extrapolate your conclusion from a photograph that,
as far as you know, has homes all around it. He never states he built any
structures or even rides a bike in the area shown. Only that he knows where
it is. You even ignore the piece you posted "as it is considered more
neighbourhood forested areas at end of streets, cul-de-sacs, etc."
RB states clear information about the area in question and you force your
opinion through a square frame of a photograph and ignore every real point
he makes!
The piece you posted even states "that was a large as a football field built
around trees, etc."... Note "built AROUND trees". It is your opinion that
any trees were cut by cyclists in the first place and it is also your
opinion that riding a bicycle in lots at the end of streets and cul-de-sacs
is 100% ILLEGAL.

Please explain how you can call anyone else a "liar" when your comments of
contradiction are so OBVIOUS.

How could you possibly see a frog, or a structure, from 100 miles away?

You don't get it. No mountain bikers go near the pond. There is more harm
done to the pond by local residents, including those that complain like a
banshee, than any mountain biker. These people walk their dogs in the area
of the pond, and their dogs play in the pond. Their children play in and
around the pond, creating a mess. The worst think a mountain biker does is
emit carbon dioxide when riding past the pond.

Live trees are not cut down; it's a basic rule followed by the people who
maintain the trails. No live trees are used, by either cutting them down,
or nailing into them. If there is any deviance from this rule, the local
government would see quickly to stopping this. Any "structure" is built
using deadfall, and most "structures" are built to protect the local habitat
on and around the trails (protecting trees, tree roots, swamps, streams,
etc.), as well as preserve the trail from erosions.

As I stated earlier, these trails are used extensively by hikers and trail
runners, yet the maintenance of the trails are done almost exclusively by
mountain bikers. Mountain bikers are socially and environmentally more
responsible than any other group that ventures into the forest.

You can try to inflame people and groups by purveying your rhetoric and
lies, but that does not change the reality of the situation.

Here are some photographs of work done by the mountain biking community to
help preserve an the Baden Powell trail (which runs some 40 or so
kilometres). This trail is used primarily by hikers (including various
events such as the Knee Knacker), but some very small sections are used by
mountain bikers.

http://www.nsmba.bc.ca/grantpics/bpgrant/bpworkproject.htm

Any time you want to actually come to this area, we'd be more than happy to
show you around, free of charge of course, so that you could see first hand
what exists in the area. Until then, anything you have to say is mere
conjecture.

> Liar. I saw the frog myself. I also saw the structures you guys built
> in the woods by cutting down live trees, all 100% ILLEGAL. You guys
> are a joke. Selfish, destructive, irresponsible liars.

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 04:01:10 GMT, against all advice, something
compelled "Roberto Baggio" <[email protected]>, to say:

>How could you possibly see a frog, or a structure, from 100 miles away?

With a really big magnifying glass?

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 04:01:10 GMT, "Roberto Baggio"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>How could you possibly see a frog, or a structure, from 100 miles away?

Learn to read. I said I was within 100 miles, since I wasn't sure
where this was. 0 miles IS within 100 miles. DUH!

>You don't get it. No mountain bikers go near the pond. There is more harm
>done to the pond by local residents, including those that complain like a
>banshee, than any mountain biker. These people walk their dogs in the area
>of the pond, and their dogs play in the pond. Their children play in and
>around the pond, creating a mess. The worst think a mountain biker does is
>emit carbon dioxide when riding past the pond.

So cutting down trees and building play structures in the woods isn't
as bad as emitting CO2? Can't you guys EVER tell the truth?!

>Live trees are not cut down; it's a basic rule followed by the people who
>maintain the trails. No live trees are used, by either cutting them down,
>or nailing into them.

I saw live trees that had been cut down, as well as signs nailed to
live trees. Try telling the truth for once in your rotten life.

If there is any deviance from this rule, the local
>government would see quickly to stopping this.

BS. They have turned a blind eye to it, even though it is highly
illegal.

Any "structure" is built
>using deadfall, and most "structures" are built to protect the local habitat
>on and around the trails (protecting trees, tree roots, swamps, streams,
>etc.), as well as preserve the trail from erosions.

That would be easier to do by keeping bikes out!

>As I stated earlier, these trails are used extensively by hikers and trail
>runners, yet the maintenance of the trails are done almost exclusively by
>mountain bikers.

Yeah, because your "maintenance" is illegal!

Mountain bikers are socially and environmentally more
>responsible than any other group that ventures into the forest.

Don't make me laugh. Other groups don't damage the forest and wipe out
habitat; YOU do.

>You can try to inflame people and groups by purveying your rhetoric and
>lies, but that does not change the reality of the situation.

The reality of the situation is quite obvious in the photo.

>Here are some photographs of work done by the mountain biking community to
>help preserve an the Baden Powell trail (which runs some 40 or so
>kilometres). This trail is used primarily by hikers (including various
>events such as the Knee Knacker), but some very small sections are used by
>mountain bikers.
>
>http://www.nsmba.bc.ca/grantpics/bpgrant/bpworkproject.htm

I can see that you took dirt (mountain bikers call it "gold dirt", for
obvious reasons) from somewhere else to build trails. Of course, that
"gold dirt" will be washed out by the first rain! The only way to
build trails is to leave everything where you found it, and keep the
bikes off of it!

>Any time you want to actually come to this area, we'd be more than happy to
>show you around, free of charge of course, so that you could see first hand
>what exists in the area. Until then, anything you have to say is mere
>conjecture.

I HAVE seen it first hand, which is why I know that you are lying. My
friend says:

"Thanks, Mike. The story goes on and on and on.... They are idiots!
The mentality of "if it was destroyed once we should destroy it
again", prevails among mtb'ers. He is just an idiot who I do not know
and he just continues the stupid rumour. "

>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Liar. I saw the frog myself. I also saw the structures you guys built
>> in the woods by cutting down live trees, all 100% ILLEGAL. You guys
>> are a joke. Selfish, destructive, irresponsible liars.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 04:01:10 GMT, "Roberto Baggio"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>How could you possibly see a frog, or a structure, from 100 miles away?

> Learn to read. I said I was within 100 miles, since I wasn't sure
> where this was. 0 miles IS within 100 miles. DUH!

So you are now saying that you were at this exact location? That you've
been right there?

> So cutting down trees and building play structures in the woods isn't
> as bad as emitting CO2? Can't you guys EVER tell the truth?!

I never said that such a thing wouldn't be as bad. I said that the only
thing mountain bikers do, with regards to the pond, was that they emit CO2
in the area. Can't you EVER stay on topic?

>>Live trees are not cut down; it's a basic rule followed by the people who
>>maintain the trails. No live trees are used, by either cutting them down,
>>or nailing into them.

> I saw live trees that had been cut down, as well as signs nailed to
> live trees. Try telling the truth for once in your rotten life.

You saw them in person, or in a photograph? Did you see the tree being cut
down? If so, did you see who cut the tree down?

By the way, my life is slightly stale, but definitely not rotten.

> If there is any deviance from this rule, the local
>>government would see quickly to stopping this.

> BS. They have turned a blind eye to it, even though it is highly
> illegal.

They haven't turned a blind eye. In our area, the government has been
working on a large, alpine recreational study and has already implemented
some preliminary suggestions. The ARS will deteremine what areas can be
used as a long term direction for which outdoor areas can be used for which
activities. I've been to some of these open sessions and council meetings.
The minutes of the meetings, along with the findings/suggestions of the ARS,
are available on their web site. You can check them out if you'd like, or
you can continue to turn a blind eye.

> Any "structure" is built
>>using deadfall, and most "structures" are built to protect the local
>>habitat
>>on and around the trails (protecting trees, tree roots, swamps, streams,
>>etc.), as well as preserve the trail from erosions.

> That would be easier to do by keeping bikes out!

Then what about the erosion from the hikers? Or the rain? Since you're
ignorant to the region, let me help you to try and understand. One hard
rain can cause more erosion to a trail than a year of mountain biking.
Using proper trail maintenace and drainage, this erosion is averted and
hikers/runners/bikers have a trail they can use. Maybe it's just me, or
maybe it's everyone else too, but you don't seem to get the picture that
people do not want to walk/run/bike where there are automobiles.

>>As I stated earlier, these trails are used extensively by hikers and trail
>>runners, yet the maintenance of the trails are done almost exclusively by
>>mountain bikers.

> Yeah, because your "maintenance" is illegal!

That's a pretty strong statement. Are you saying that hundreds of people
are committing illegal acts? Are you saying that the local government is
committing illegal acts? If so, can you post up proof of this? Proof would
require the said act, along with the statute/law that indicates that said
act is illegal. If I were a betting man, I'd put $50 that you won't supply
either, and will just post up additional garbage solely intended to inflame.

> Mountain bikers are socially and environmentally more
>>responsible than any other group that ventures into the forest.

> Don't make me laugh. Other groups don't damage the forest and wipe out
> habitat; YOU do.

I do? Prove it. Not just with your usuall spew of rhetoric. Concrete,
factual proof.

>>You can try to inflame people and groups by purveying your rhetoric and
>>lies, but that does not change the reality of the situation.

> The reality of the situation is quite obvious in the photo.

And

>>Here are some photographs of work done by the mountain biking community to
>>help preserve an the Baden Powell trail (which runs some 40 or so
>>kilometres). This trail is used primarily by hikers (including various
>>events such as the Knee Knacker), but some very small sections are used by
>>mountain bikers.
>>
>>http://www.nsmba.bc.ca/grantpics/bpgrant/bpworkproject.htm

> I can see that you took dirt (mountain bikers call it "gold dirt", for
> obvious reasons) from somewhere else to build trails. Of course, that
> "gold dirt" will be washed out by the first rain! The only way to
> build trails is to leave everything where you found it, and keep the
> bikes off of it!

And what about the hikers and trail runners and horses? Keep them off too?

As for "gold dirt", it came from the ground. But you wouldn't know that as
you know nothing of the local environment. Same goes for your rain
statement.

>>Any time you want to actually come to this area, we'd be more than happy
>>show you around, free of charge of course, so that you could see first
>>hand
>>what exists in the area. Until then, anything you have to say is mere
>>conjecture.

> I HAVE seen it first hand, which is why I know that you are lying. My
> friend says:

You start off with a photograph of an area you haven't seen, criticize the
hell out of it without knowing any of the facts, then go on to talk about
how you have all the facts and have seen it all.

What exactly have you seen first hand? Be specific please, because anything
else is just conjecture and cannot be taken as truth.

Did you know that, in this area, people only first started complaining about
mountain biking because some mountain bikers would drive in from far, far
away and park their vehicles in front of these people's homes? There was
never an environmental concern - EVER. The environmental "concern" only
came about when the residents of a couple areas, close to a couple trail
heads, wanted something done about their PARKING issues. When the local
government wouldn't comply with their requests, they started fabricating
other concerns, such as local habit damage, endangered frog species (we
don't have any endangered frog species), erosion issues, etc.

We had one, and only one councilor, in the district government, go overboard
and push all the strange issues that a handful of his constituents would
bring to him. First there should be no mountain bikers because of parking
issues. After a few months, that gets dropped and there should be none
because of endangered frogs. After another few months, that gets dropped
and there should be none because of erosion issues.

Now, this councilor, about 10 years ago, pushed very hard for the district
government to take responsibility for a very large tract of pristine, virgin
rainforest that extends from the north end of the district for quite a few
miles. The district did not do so because the district has limited
financial resources and could not afford to take over management, so the
management was left with the greater regional district. Fast forward about
10 years, and what does this councilor do? He implores the district to
disallow the use of already used 2nd growth forest areas and to create a
mountain bike park in the virgin rain forest!!! This is the kind of self
centered, ignorant mentality that had to be dealt with. Fortunately the
rest of the council could see how ludicrous this councilor, and those of a
handful of his constituents, had become and voted against any motions
related to new parks or the closing of trails for hiking/running/biking.

You seem to be an angry man who has nothing to do but complain about other
people and their actions, all for your own personal or political
gratification/gain. We are trying to live with each other the best we can,
yet you, an outsider who has already proven knows nothing of our situation,
continue to try to create situations, angst, and inflammation amongst the
people here. Why not try to being productive rather than destructive? I
think you'll be pleasantly surprised to find that it will be more rewarding
to your ego.

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 08:09:56 -0400, "S Curtiss" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>"Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>Interesting... You didn't call me out on "rainforest" designation in
>>Canada. I was curious and looked it up. Pacific rim watershed areas
>>along North America are actually classified as "rainforests". Yet you
>>ignore my my mistake to focus on your alleged destruction by "mountain
>>bikers".

>>> It was virgin rainforest in BC, destroyed by mountain bikers purely
>>> for cheap thrills.

>>"Virgin"...? This close to major population and residential...? To
>>quote the piece you posted: "as it is considered more neighbourhood
>>forested areas at end of streets, cul-de-sacs, etc."
>>You ignore the FACT the area was already compromised by houses, roads,
>>proximity to population and construction.
>>Mountain bikers did not destroy anything.

> BS. They destroyed living rainforest for cheap thrills -- nothing new
> for mountain bikers.

Did you say something?

> [...]

> As to not doing "any particular damage", ALL mountain biking
> accelerates erosion, creates V-shaped ruts, kills small animals and
> plants on and next to the trail, and drives wildlife and other trail
> users out of the parks: http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande/scb7.
>
>>Mike Vandeman wrote:
>>> http://photos.nsmb.com/showimage.php?i=5156&c=36:
>>>
>>> From a friend:
>>>
>>> I went on a tour of our parks and forests with PNEAC in areas I
>>> normally would not go, as it is considered more neighbourhood
>>> forested areas at end of streets, cul-de-sacs, etc. and places I do
>>> not know about. We looked at the most devastating thing in our
>>> forest. A mountain bike bmx dirt jum area that was a large as a
>>> football field built around trees, etc. in that part of the forest
>>> in the Mt. Seymour area, next door to Fromme. It had ramps and
>>> walls to jump off -- all dirt dug from the forest floor, etc. The
>>> DNV Parks people said they could not charge anyone because they did
>>> not know who did it (so lame, as anyone using it is breaking the
>>> law). Meanwhile during the fire hazard warning not to smoke
>>> cigarettes in the forest we noted one of the mtb bmx'ers (bmx'ing
>>> with mountain bikes) smoking a cigarette, and the head guy of parks
>>> did not do anything about it. I cannot explain how bad it is but
>>> picture what they have done to the Appalachian mountains for strip
>>> mining coal, plus the odd tree in between the jumps and ramps, etc.
>>> You have got a pretty good picture. It is devastating, and not a
>>> finger has been lifted by the Parks people or the apathetic
>>> neighbourhood living right next to this monstrousity! I will be
>>> going back in with my camera with the Mayor, if possible, and will
>>> send you it. I have never seen such devastation in my life to a
>>> forest land. It rivals the structures in Mt. Fromme.
>>>
>>> What I do not understand is how the DNV Parks people let this one
>>> continue to the extent it did. I had not heard of it until last
>>> night. I feel pretty sick about it. Why are people so apathetic
>>> about this kind of thing? I wonder what else is out there I do not
>>> know about. At this rate, the forest in DNV might as well become
>>> one large adventure and amusement park. I am also pretty angry
>>> right now at the Parks people who let this kind of thing happen
>>> without lifting a finger to stop it, telling me that the local kids
>>> want to have something close to their neighbourhoods. So lame!
>>> Sometimes I wish I didn't know about this.
>>> ===
>>> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
>>> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
>>> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>>>
>>> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you
>>> are fond of!
>>>
>>> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> ===
>
> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you

If it walks like a ingorant idiot, if it talks like a ingorant idiot it
must be a Vandeman