Mountain Bikers TROUNCED in Los Angeles!

Mike Vandeman

Guest
ONE MORE park with Yosemite rules: no bikes off of pavement!

Mike

Subject: Griffth Park Master Plan meeting

Hi Mike,

The meeting was last night, so there hasn't been time to talk about it much.

We WON every point that was of concern. The bikers, all white 30 something
males, came off as rude, aggressive fools. Most of them were from out of town,
not even local to the Park. It was a disaster for them.

It was a wonderful turnout, probably close to 300 people. Plus some TV
coverage. I worked hard to get it going and then it took on a life of it's own
as
other people told other friends, etc. As far as I can see, just about every
barn was represented with both us old farts and lots of young people as well,
plus we had a nice cross section of income levels and races present, Latino,
black, white, little kids. It made it quite clear that horses were not simply
the province of the wealthy.

Not only did we accomplish a lot, but we generated a LOT of good will for the
equestrians on the part of the Parks. I had received a couple of "secret"
phone calls from people who were sitting on that dais last night who were
worried about the MB threat and wanted me to make sure and bring people to
support
them. The horse people out did themselves, were courteous (which I had
stressed when I prepped them), well spoken for the most part and represented all
kinds of races and income levels as well. It couldn't have been better.

After the presentation had started, I got up to go to the bathroom (the curse
of the teeny bladder) when City Councilperson ... hopped out of his/her seat
and grabbed my arm. "Don't you worry about a thing," he/she whispered, "I'm
going
to take care of you horse people. No mountain bikers on my watch."

It was a great moment when he/she got up and stuck it to the bikers and everyone
in the audience cheered! The whole thing was very gratifying to me. It was my
night, a culmination of my years of work, personal credibility and PR. The
mountain bikers were completely out done. Jim Hausenaur was there, although I
didn't see him. I loved that, he's such a lying jerk.

I didn't speak because everyone else made all the point that were needed to
be made, plus it's so much better when there's new input instead of the same
old faces all the time. I imagine that I'll probably be on the citizens
oversight committee and will have all the time in the world to speak then.

I was SO BUSY glad handing and thanking people for being there, that I didn't
even get to see all those who were there, plus afterwards I was mobbed and
was one of the last to leave.

Today I was staggeringly tired. I was too wired to sleep well, and dizzy when
I got up. I rode around the trails and encountered lots of folks from the
meeting last night. I made a big point of thanking them and letting them know
that without each and every one of them present, we couldn't have accomplished
what we did in such a short amount of time. YES!!!

We got 6 years worth of work done in a couple of hours. The meeting wasn't
just about MBers on our trails, but was about a Master Plan for the next 25
years in the Park. There were lots of issues to be dealt with.

It was a good to see how united our equestrian community was (as well as
home owners associations, the Observatory, the dogwalkers, the hikers, and many
more who were also opposed to bikes on our trails). The lesson is that you
don't have to put up with bikers on your trails in order to have trail access
for
horses.

It sort of restored my faith in the process. It looked discouraging there for
a while.

Yeeeaaaah! I'm so proud of everyone. Plus they had a good time participating
in the planning of their own Park trails, etc. Makes them more willing to do
it again in the future.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Just one question that needs to asked Mike.

Do you ride a horse yourself?

Just one question that needs to asked Mike.

Do you ride a horse yourself?

Just one question that needs to asked Mike.

Do you ride a horse yourself?

Just one question that needs to asked Mike.

Do you ride a horse yourself?

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 16:07:59 -0300, Jason <[email protected]> wrote
in message <[email protected]>:

>So basically you all lied and blamed everything on one group instead of
>all taking responsibility and trying to come to a compramise. Typical
>lying environmentalists.

I wonder who they'll blame next when this makes no difference
whatsoever? Watch this space for Vandespamm's Randomly Selected
Scapegoat Group of the Week.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

in message <[email protected]>:

>So basically you all lied and blamed everything on one group instead of
>all taking responsibility and trying to come to a compramise. Typical
>lying environmentalists.

I wonder who they'll blame next when this makes no difference
whatsoever? Watch this space for Vandespamm's Randomly Selected
Scapegoat Group of the Week.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

> On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 16:07:59 -0300, Jason <[email protected]> wrote
> in message <[email protected]>:
>
>>So basically you all lied and blamed everything on one group instead of
>>all taking responsibility and trying to come to a compramise. Typical
>>lying environmentalists.

> I wonder who they'll blame next when this makes no difference
> whatsoever? Watch this space for Vandespamm's Randomly Selected
> Scapegoat Group of the Week.
>
> Guy

So what do you recon causes more damage, horses or bikes? Bit obvious
innit.

> On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 16:07:59 -0300, Jason <[email protected]> wrote
> in message <[email protected]>:
>
>>So basically you all lied and blamed everything on one group instead of
>>all taking responsibility and trying to come to a compramise. Typical
>>lying environmentalists.

> I wonder who they'll blame next when this makes no difference
> whatsoever? Watch this space for Vandespamm's Randomly Selected
> Scapegoat Group of the Week.
>
> Guy

So what do you recon causes more damage, horses or bikes? Bit obvious
innit.

> On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 16:07:59 -0300, Jason <[email protected]> wrote
> in message <[email protected]>:
>
>>So basically you all lied and blamed everything on one group instead of
>>all taking responsibility and trying to come to a compramise. Typical
>>lying environmentalists.

> I wonder who they'll blame next when this makes no difference
> whatsoever? Watch this space for Vandespamm's Randomly Selected
> Scapegoat Group of the Week.
>
> Guy

So what do you recon causes more damage, horses or bikes? Bit obvious
innit.

> On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 16:07:59 -0300, Jason <[email protected]> wrote
> in message <[email protected]>:
>
>>So basically you all lied and blamed everything on one group instead of
>>all taking responsibility and trying to come to a compramise. Typical
>>lying environmentalists.

> I wonder who they'll blame next when this makes no difference
> whatsoever? Watch this space for Vandespamm's Randomly Selected
> Scapegoat Group of the Week.
>
> Guy

So what do you recon causes more damage, horses or bikes? Bit obvious
innit.

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 20:34:09 +0100, "NeXuS" <[email protected]> wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>There has always been rivalry between horseriders and bikeriders, but the
>few ALWAYS spoil it for the many.

Most likely. In my experience equestrians as a group contain some of
the most arrogant and also the most pleasant users of the great
outdoors - but that's in the UK, where the dynamic is probably subtly
different. I have some great friends who ride horses and are staunch
allies in my campaigns against bad driving and speeding in particular.
One of the few people I know who shares my no speeding policy while
driving is a horse rider.

In one of my local recreational areas, a Crown Estate, there are
hiker-only, horse, bike and all-user trails. No problem at all.

I ride a recumbent, and some horses hate them. When I see a horse
coming I stop and get off, which generally averts any problems but
even then the animal sometimes has to be led past. Most riders are
cool with this, one or two have given me variations of "you shouldn't
have that thing on the road" - which, given that they are the ones
bringing a clearly barely controllable animal onto a public road,
sounds a lot like hypocrisy. I hate to think what will happen when
the next rice-rocket goes hammering past them.