From: "bob hollander" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 20:41:20 -0700
Subject: Sunday @ Skookum

Bad day at Black Rock-that's putting it mildly. Today was a really tough
ride, got to give lot's of credit to all the riders-they earned every bit.
Trail conditions were slippery, soggy and we really rocked and rolled the
whole way up Skookum. Young Isaac gets stronger and stronger on every
ride-he stayed on my back wheel until I had to let him go by-I couldn't keep
up the pace. oh well, back to turtle training for me

We had one injury on the ride and a lot of bruised egos. Derek C. slipped on
one of the switchbacks coming down to the buck creek parking lot. Evidently
Derek fell and punched a hole on the inside of his leg with the brake lever.
One of the riders helped Derek up to the road and another rider stopped in a
pick up and took Derek back to the other end of Skookum to meet up with his
brother Eric; Eric took Derek to the hospital in Enumclaw. By the way, Derek
is an excellent rider-it was just a freak accident.

I stopped at the hospital in Enumclaw to see how Derek was doing and they
were getting ready to stitch him up. There were no complications-Derek was
lucky.

As for the bruised Egos, I think they'll heal pretty fast. Some of the
comments I heard on the trail today were; THIS SUCKS! Boy, if I go any
slower, I'll fall over! April said, " I think I bit off more than I could
chew." I told April that was exactly how I was feeling and to tell you the
truth, I walked away from this ride feeling a bit small-Skookum Flats ate me
for lunch!

We had two people on this ride who were very new to trail riding and both of
them did fantastic-you two did as well as anyone else on the ride and all of
you did really well. Today was one of the most challenging rides I've been
on to date. Thanks to everyone on the ride-you guys/gals rock.
bob h

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

news:p[email protected]...
> Knowing that mountain bikers refuse to obey its rule about not riding in

wet
> conditions, IMBA changed it to "3. Say No To Mud. Riding a muddy trail can

cause
> unnecessary trail widening and erosion that may lead to long-lasting

damage."
> This is undoubtedly because people from rainy areas like Washington State

simply
> REFUSE to stay off the trails when they are wet. IMBA is implying that

only one
> type of soil is damaged when ridden wet, which is obviously FALSE.
>
> From: "bob hollander" <[email protected]>
> Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 20:41:20 -0700
> Subject: Sunday @ Skookum
>
> Bad day at Black Rock-that's putting it mildly. Today was a really tough
> ride, got to give lot's of credit to all the riders-they earned every bit.
> Trail conditions were slippery, soggy and we really rocked and rolled the
> whole way up Skookum. Young Isaac gets stronger and stronger on every
> ride-he stayed on my back wheel until I had to let him go by-I couldn't

keep
> up the pace. oh well, back to turtle training for me
>
> We had one injury on the ride and a lot of bruised egos. Derek C. slipped

on
> one of the switchbacks coming down to the buck creek parking lot.

Evidently
> Derek fell and punched a hole on the inside of his leg with the brake

lever.
> One of the riders helped Derek up to the road and another rider stopped in

> pick up and took Derek back to the other end of Skookum to meet up with

his
> brother Eric; Eric took Derek to the hospital in Enumclaw. By the way,

Derek
> is an excellent rider-it was just a freak accident.
>
> I stopped at the hospital in Enumclaw to see how Derek was doing and they
> were getting ready to stitch him up. There were no complications-Derek was
> lucky.
>
> As for the bruised Egos, I think they'll heal pretty fast. Some of the
> comments I heard on the trail today were; THIS SUCKS! Boy, if I go any
> slower, I'll fall over! April said, " I think I bit off more than I could
> chew." I told April that was exactly how I was feeling and to tell you the
> truth, I walked away from this ride feeling a bit small-Skookum Flats ate

me
> for lunch!
>
> We had two people on this ride who were very new to trail riding and both

of
> them did fantastic-you two did as well as anyone else on the ride and all

of
> you did really well. Today was one of the most challenging rides I've been
> on to date. Thanks to everyone on the ride-you guys/gals rock.
> bob h
>
> ===

Have you ever been to this trail? Last fall a good portion of it was washed
away by the White River. It did far more damage than every hiker or biker
that has ever been there.

On Mon, 31 May 2004 16:42:33 GMT, "Critic" <critic@***.worldnet.att.net> wrote:

..
.."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
..news:p[email protected]...
..> Knowing that mountain bikers refuse to obey its rule about not riding in
..wet
..> conditions, IMBA changed it to "3. Say No To Mud. Riding a muddy trail can
..cause
..> unnecessary trail widening and erosion that may lead to long-lasting
..damage."
..> This is undoubtedly because people from rainy areas like Washington State
..simply
..> REFUSE to stay off the trails when they are wet. IMBA is implying that
..only one
..> type of soil is damaged when ridden wet, which is obviously FALSE.
..>
..> From: "bob hollander" <[email protected]>
..> Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 20:41:20 -0700
..>
[...]
..> ===
..
..
..Have you ever been to this trail? Last fall a good portion of it was washed
..away by the White River. It did far more damage than every hiker or biker
..that has ever been there.

Oh, I see. The old "MY damage is acceptable, as long I can find some other
damage that is worse" excuse. Doesn't hold water.
===

wrote:

> [...]

all
> .of
> .> you did really well. Today was one of the most challenging rides I've

been
> .> on to date. Thanks to everyone on the ride-you guys/gals rock.
> .> bob h
> .>
> .> ===
> .
> .
> .Have you ever been to this trail? Last fall a good portion of it was

washed
> .away by the White River. It did far more damage than every hiker or

biker
> .that has ever been there.
>
> Oh, I see. The old "MY damage is acceptable, as long I can find some other
> damage that is worse" excuse. Doesn't hold water.

Good answer. Liar.