    From: "bob hollander" <[email protected]>
    Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 20:41:20 -0700
    Subject: Sunday @ Skookum

    Bad day at Black Rock-that's putting it mildly. Today was a really tough
    ride, got to give lot's of credit to all the riders-they earned every bit.
    Trail conditions were slippery, soggy and we really rocked and rolled the
    whole way up Skookum. Young Isaac gets stronger and stronger on every
    ride-he stayed on my back wheel until I had to let him go by-I couldn't keep
    up the pace. oh well, back to turtle training for me

    We had one injury on the ride and a lot of bruised egos. Derek C. slipped on
    one of the switchbacks coming down to the buck creek parking lot. Evidently
    Derek fell and punched a hole on the inside of his leg with the brake lever.
    One of the riders helped Derek up to the road and another rider stopped in a
    pick up and took Derek back to the other end of Skookum to meet up with his
    brother Eric; Eric took Derek to the hospital in Enumclaw. By the way, Derek
    is an excellent rider-it was just a freak accident.

    I stopped at the hospital in Enumclaw to see how Derek was doing and they
    were getting ready to stitch him up. There were no complications-Derek was
    lucky.

    As for the bruised Egos, I think they'll heal pretty fast. Some of the
    comments I heard on the trail today were; THIS SUCKS! Boy, if I go any
    slower, I'll fall over! April said, " I think I bit off more than I could
    chew." I told April that was exactly how I was feeling and to tell you the
    truth, I walked away from this ride feeling a bit small-Skookum Flats ate me
    for lunch!

    We had two people on this ride who were very new to trail riding and both of
    them did fantastic-you two did as well as anyone else on the ride and all of
    you did really well. Today was one of the most challenging rides I've been
    on to date. Thanks to everyone on the ride-you guys/gals rock.
    bob h

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    Tags:

  2. Critic

    Critic Guest

    news:p[email protected]
    > Knowing that mountain bikers refuse to obey its rule about not riding in

    wet
    > conditions, IMBA changed it to "3. Say No To Mud. Riding a muddy trail can

    cause
    > unnecessary trail widening and erosion that may lead to long-lasting

    damage."
    > This is undoubtedly because people from rainy areas like Washington State

    simply
    > REFUSE to stay off the trails when they are wet. IMBA is implying that

    only one
    > type of soil is damaged when ridden wet, which is obviously FALSE.
    >
    > From: "bob hollander" <[email protected]>
    > Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 20:41:20 -0700
    > Subject: Sunday @ Skookum
    >
    > Bad day at Black Rock-that's putting it mildly. Today was a really tough
    > ride, got to give lot's of credit to all the riders-they earned every bit.
    > Trail conditions were slippery, soggy and we really rocked and rolled the
    > whole way up Skookum. Young Isaac gets stronger and stronger on every
    > ride-he stayed on my back wheel until I had to let him go by-I couldn't

    keep
    > up the pace. oh well, back to turtle training for me
    >
    > We had one injury on the ride and a lot of bruised egos. Derek C. slipped

    on
    > one of the switchbacks coming down to the buck creek parking lot.

    Evidently
    > Derek fell and punched a hole on the inside of his leg with the brake

    lever.
    > One of the riders helped Derek up to the road and another rider stopped in

    > pick up and took Derek back to the other end of Skookum to meet up with

    his
    > brother Eric; Eric took Derek to the hospital in Enumclaw. By the way,

    Derek
    > is an excellent rider-it was just a freak accident.
    >
    > I stopped at the hospital in Enumclaw to see how Derek was doing and they
    > were getting ready to stitch him up. There were no complications-Derek was
    > lucky.
    >
    > As for the bruised Egos, I think they'll heal pretty fast. Some of the
    > comments I heard on the trail today were; THIS SUCKS! Boy, if I go any
    > slower, I'll fall over! April said, " I think I bit off more than I could
    > chew." I told April that was exactly how I was feeling and to tell you the
    > truth, I walked away from this ride feeling a bit small-Skookum Flats ate

    me
    > for lunch!
    >
    > We had two people on this ride who were very new to trail riding and both

    of
    > them did fantastic-you two did as well as anyone else on the ride and all

    of
    > you did really well. Today was one of the most challenging rides I've been
    > on to date. Thanks to everyone on the ride-you guys/gals rock.
    > bob h
    >
    > ===

    Have you ever been to this trail? Last fall a good portion of it was washed
    away by the White River. It did far more damage than every hiker or biker
    that has ever been there.

  3. On Mon, 31 May 2004 16:42:33 GMT, "Critic" <[email protected]> wrote:

    ..
    .."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    ..news:p[email protected]
    ..> Knowing that mountain bikers refuse to obey its rule about not riding in
    ..wet
    ..> conditions, IMBA changed it to "3. Say No To Mud. Riding a muddy trail can
    ..cause
    ..> unnecessary trail widening and erosion that may lead to long-lasting
    ..damage."
    ..> This is undoubtedly because people from rainy areas like Washington State
    ..simply
    ..> REFUSE to stay off the trails when they are wet. IMBA is implying that
    ..only one
    ..> type of soil is damaged when ridden wet, which is obviously FALSE.
    ..>
    ..> From: "bob hollander" <[email protected]>
    ..> Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 20:41:20 -0700
    ..>
[...]
    ..> ===
    ..
    ..
    ..Have you ever been to this trail? Last fall a good portion of it was washed
    ..away by the White River. It did far more damage than every hiker or biker
    ..that has ever been there.

    Oh, I see. The old "MY damage is acceptable, as long I can find some other
    damage that is worse" excuse. Doesn't hold water.
    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  4. Critic

    Critic Guest

    news:klvnb0[email protected]

    wrote:

> [...]

    all
    > .of
    > .> you did really well. Today was one of the most challenging rides I've

    been
    > .> on to date. Thanks to everyone on the ride-you guys/gals rock.
    > .> bob h
    > .>
    > .> ===
    > .
    > .
    > .Have you ever been to this trail? Last fall a good portion of it was

    washed
    > .away by the White River. It did far more damage than every hiker or

    biker
    > .that has ever been there.
    >
    > Oh, I see. The old "MY damage is acceptable, as long I can find some other
    > damage that is worse" excuse. Doesn't hold water.

    Good answer. Liar.