Mountain Bikes Improve Horse Trails

basilkies

Guest
Riding around Marin over the years I have noticed a definite effect of bikes on hoof pocked horse
trails. WHen conditions are muddy horses leave deep hoof prints in muddy sections of trails. The
water collects in the hoof prints in a lot of areas because the fine soil and clay it doesn't drain.
This causes the area to stay muddy, this is particulary noticeable on downhill sections where you
would expect the water to drain better.

In areas where mountain bikes have gone over the prints they more or less connect the dots by
creating drainage and flow between the tracks and allowing them to dry up.

I propose that bikes and horses should have some type of alternating schedule to keep the trails in
better shape.

I am working on habitat for wild animals. Since man is evolved from animals he is therefore part of
the habitat. Therefore trails for bikes and cars should be included.

When I rode the Tsali(sp?) in North Carolina way back in the early 90's they had alternating days with horses and bikes. The trails were in pretty good shape then.

Its a good idea.

Dave

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 20:50:37 GMT, DaveWV
<[email protected]> wrote:

>When I rode the Tsali(sp?) in North Carolina way back in the early 90's they had alternating days
>with horses and bikes. The trails were in pretty good shape then.
>
>Its a good idea.
>
>Dave
Of course here in the bay area the horse folks got all the money and their older, plus they all
collect at stables. This means they have clout and the ability to work as a group.

Now mountain bikers tend to be your, don't vote, and are scattered all over the place, so no clout.

I always tell people that I wouldn't ride illegal trails if they made them legal. It always perplexs
them till I get by.

On 2004-03-03, [email protected] penned:
> On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 20:50:37 GMT, DaveWV
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>When I rode the Tsali(sp?) in North Carolina way back in the early 90's they had alternating days
>>with horses and bikes. The trails were in pretty good shape then.
>>
>>Its a good idea.
>>
>>Dave
> Of course here in the bay area the horse folks got all the money and their older, plus they all
> collect at stables. This means they have clout and the ability to work as a group.
>
> Now mountain bikers tend to be your, don't vote, and are scattered all over the place, so
> no clout.

I asked around and was pointed to the following for the Boulder, CO area:

http://www.boa-mtb.org/

I've emailed back and forth with these guys a bit now, and they seem to be legit. So I think I'm
going to make myself a member and try to get involved in the political (ick) side.

Perhaps there's something similar in your area?

> I always tell people that I wouldn't ride illegal trails if they made them legal. It always
> perplexs them till I get by.

Works for the short-term, but in the long-term, you're just contributing to the belief that all
mountain bikers are self-centered, abusive jerks.

--
monique

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:10:18 -0700, "Monique Y. Herman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Now mountain bikers tend to be your, don't vote, and are scattered all over the place, so
>> no clout.
>
>I asked around and was pointed to the following for the Boulder, CO area:
>
>http://www.boa-mtb.org/
>
>I've emailed back and forth with these guys a bit now, and they seem to be legit. So I think I'm
>going to make myself a member and try to get involved in the political (ick) side.
>
>Perhaps there's something similar in your area?

Good for you, get involved. I joined a group in my area in Marin Co,
CA. I paid dues and got a newsletter that came with meeting announcements two weeks after the
meetings and they didn't seem to have a consistent place. It wasn't a bad group or anything, but
they had a serious newsletter problem. My secondary problem was the meetings were in a town ten
miles away. So I lost interest.

I have also attended bike lane meetings in my town but they are mostly dog and pony shows and
all they want is to count your head and get some money. Then they build a lane that ends at
intersections. I told them skip the lanes and handle the intersection problems, but they are
only interested in making bike lanes that suit families with kids that want to go for Sunday
afternoon rides.

Then I went to meetings in town to build trails and improve trails, when I mentioned that I had
no problem with helping them with hiking trails, but also was interested in bike trails, they
said let's just deal with trails right now. So I only went to two meetings when I saw where that
was headed.

I have done bargaining for unions on contracts, for peoples jobs, and various other issues,
compromise is the name of the day. The meetings I've been to on bikes weren't going anywhere and I
asked myself a question do I want to ride or spend my time trying to open up trails. Screw
bureacracy, ride!