Mountain Bikes On The Road

MarkInNC

Apr 15, 2007
I have been riding my bike, a Trek 6500, mostly on the road. I have tires with a slick contact patch and some small treads along the edges. The bike does fine and has the advantage of doing better when hitting the frequent sand and rock patch that we seem to have everywhere around here.

I know that for a lot of reasons that mountain bikes are slower than road bikes. Does anyone go on group rides with road bike types riding their mountain bike?

I am only averaging about twelve mph, still working up to whatever I will be able to do. I rode 22 miles today and averaged 11.2 mph. The local club has a website and I have read that they have three groups segregated by avg speed. The slowest group is still quite a bit faster than I am doing so far.

Mark

Hi there,
Unless the group is riding at the pace of the slowest rider,You"ll always battle to keep up with the roadbikes.Max speed on a flat with a mtb is around 40/km/h Whereas the same cyclist on a roadbike would be pushing 70/km/h
Your best option is to ride with a group on mtb's,but it looks like you should consider a road bike.