Mountain bikes

G

Andrea and I are thinking of buying a couple of cheapie mountain bikes. We wont be racing or anything like that.....just a quiet ride in the bush every few weeks :)

Does anyone have any suggestions for 2 'budget' mountain bikes?

cheers!

hmm the mongoose site does not say how much it costs.
i have seen the mongoose bikes when i whent to buy my mtb and found them (even the $1000 to be heavy) that bike also does not have front suspension which means only flat terrain would be comfy. and not rocky stuff either hmmm boring.

i have a Wheeler 2000zx i think it cost me $750 and it is good. i havent had any problems with it its great. it has front susspension too.

opps i guess that is not cheap? ahh well 8) 8) its geat for what you get.

The Rockadile AL comes with a MOZO USA RM-120 alloy suspension w/76mm travel, and the EL model comes with a RST Omega TL w/80mm travel.

Specs here...

Go GIANT, they have the best value for money by far! You guys will probably be looking at something like the

Boulder SE

It's got everything you need for fun riding.

Go GIANT, they have the best value for money by far! You guys will probably be looking at something like the

Boulder SE

It's got everything you need for fun riding.
I've just booked one at my local bike shop. The price was unbelievably cheap so I jumped at it. Should pic it up during the week. B.T.W. The website mentions colours as black/red and charcoal/black but this one is yellow/black. ???

ouzo - I think the website shows 2001 models, you may be getting a 2002 OR the other way around. Ask your dealer what year he is getting for you.

Giant are quite good value, i used to have a CFR1 road bike in the old days hehe The Boulder SE seems like its worth checking out!

ouzo - I think the website shows 2001 models, you may be getting a 2002 OR the other way around. Ask your dealer what year he is getting for you.
according to the price tag and the sales man it is a 2001 model. I think that perhaps in SA we get a different colour scheme.

This is so weird for me - cuz I don't know what brands you have access to over yonder!!

Yes, I've heard Giant gives you good value for the buck - but I've never tried one.....

Don't buy a GT or a Schwinn - they are bankrupt and the company that bought them out is screwing lots of people (including pro racers) - although I know lots of people who love their GTs.

My first bike was a Specialized RockHopper - that was a great entry level bike.....

Now I ride a Rocky Mountain (they are made in Canada). I'm also a fan of the Kona, Santa Cruz and Titus.

Oh, also I hear Scotts are very good too.

Does that help?

I'm rambling :)

Schwinn/GT went titters during the summer and got snatched up by Pacific Cycles. Right now, warranty etc is a complete ****-up and best avoided for at least a year.

Giant makes a ton of bikes for other companies, but when they make their own bikes, they basically drop the 'label' cost off the bike and that gives pretty dang good value for the buck.

Mongoose, as a company, has also been through the mill - Near bankrupt two or three years ago and bought by Brunswick (massive basketball and stuff kind of company) but have now been on the 'short list' to sell off - i.e.: up for grabs. Quality of the bikes is probably okay, but support is nearly nil.

Down in Oz, isn't there a Craftwerks line of bikes? I've heard good things about those...

even way the heck up here.

Just picked up my Giant Buolder se. Damn I cant wait to go for a ride. Think I'll take it to the nearest park during lunch.

Just tell me that you're not considering doing the Argus on your new MTB?

Just tell me that you're not considering doing the Argus on your new MTB?
*gulp* NONONONO !!!!!! Would be great for climbing Oukaapse Weg but thats where it stops. I'll be using the Cannondale for road races and the MTB will be used for recreation. More for doing natute trails etc.

This is so weird for me - cuz I don't know what brands you have access to over yonder!!

Yes, I've heard Giant gives you good value for the buck - but I've never tried one.....

Don't buy a GT or a Schwinn - they are bankrupt and the company that bought them out is screwing lots of people (including pro racers) - although I know lots of people who love their GTs.

My first bike was a Specialized RockHopper - that was a great entry level bike.....

Now I ride a Rocky Mountain (they are made in Canada).  I'm also a fan of the Kona, Santa Cruz and Titus.

Oh, also I hear Scotts are very good too.

Does that help?

I'm rambling :)

Specializeds are great bikes to start out on.

Yup... KONA...They have good entry level bike,good frames that you can build on...
www.konaworld.com
I have the Blast 2000 and I really like it,you can ask Lazarus about his Blast 2001 how happy he is...?

Ah... my Kona Blast.

Here in the UK Kona are seen as awesome bikes (well by me anyway), but if there is one complaint against them it's that they are slightly overpriced,so to avoid that problem I just waited until the end of season sale. one fifth of the price knocked off in a blink of an eye.

As for the bike it's excellent, I've posted somewhere else that I don't like the forks but that is my personal choice, others who have taken it for a ride have found nothing wrong with it

Hope I'm not too late!

Forget the rest and go Specialized, you won't regret it!

my picks

just getting around....
giant
merida
norco

big hit bikes....
intense M-1
santa cruz
giant xtc ac

That's aussie advice boyz!

roKeMS