Mountain Biking And Camping

johnderman

Feb 22, 2015
Anyone know any real good spots for mountain biking and camping at the same time? I'm guessing something like Olympic National Park where the trails are real easy, at least the lower ones. Any thoughts?

Biking on these incredible trails with scare me to be honest with you when I do mountain biking am very careful about where I go I like to make sure that I don't get myself in a position where I'm going to someplace that's incredibly uncomfortable. Because when I do that the only thing that happens to me is fear. Especially when I'm going downhill.

If you were in Hawaii you could do it all over the place. No place in particular. However, on the island of Hawaii, you can have someone drop you off on the snow top mountains and watch the sunrise. Then you start riding down to sea level and be at the beach surfing by the afternoon.

mauna-Kea.jpg

@josh.....That is insane!!! I didn't know Hawaii had snow. I could possibly be skiing in the morning, then jump on my bike and be swimming and sunbathing by late afternoon. I need to a vacation.

There have to be dozens of spots for simultaneous camping and mountain biking, and you could even turn it into a long-range trek if you're adventurous enough. I'd say there are numerous spots throughout the West Coast in California, Oregon, and Washington state, though I'd say Oregon and Washington probably have better mountain biking and camping opportunities compared to California.

adfnio said:
@josh.....That is insane!!! I didn't know Hawaii had snow. I could possibly be skiing in the morning, then jump on my bike and be swimming and sunbathing by late afternoon. I need to a vacation.
That's on the island of Hawaii. But on Maui, on the coldest days of the year, there is snow on the lone mountain top. You can ski and surf in the same day also. It is a much easier and shorter ride then that of the pictures.

Biking on mountains is a bit difficult for me, due to the type of ground that it is, it's a bit troubling since I'm not a professional. Great picture by the way Josh. That would of been such an amazing view to see in person.

I would expect that almost all of the Appalachian chain, from Georgia to Maine, would offer outstanding opportunities, and would be excellent for more average cyclists. I also know that there are excellent biking/camping opportunities on Prince Edward Island, but that isn't exactly Mountain country.

Although the Appalachian Trail is understandably off limits, much of the area is accessible by road, and most of the roads allow bikes. There are excellent roads through most of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, and many excellent camping sites. Consider combining biking with hiking by biking to hiking trails. Camp in Cade's Cove, bike to the Abraham's Falls trail, hike it. Take the back exit through Rich Mountain gap (either direction, but for most people approach Cade's Cove from Gatlinburgh, then exit to Townsend. Go through Wear's Valley back to Pigeon Forge, relax at Dollywood.

Camping and riding on mountains can be really awesome. I know my family have done that and they really loved it, eventhough, it was such a long run.

We have a place here called Tagaytay, the mecca of bikers. However, most bikers I see travel by car with their bikes on the roof. Once there in the destination will they use their bikes.

The best activity is to bike your way from Manila to Tagaytay. With a backpack, you can stay overnight in the so-called Nature's camp. It is a 4-hectare hilly and grassy place where you can pitch tents. They rent out tents so no problem. The only thing they don't have is food although you can cook in their barbecue pit. It is a nice place. In fact, I was there last May 9 to celebrate my niece's birthday right there in that hilly resort.

A great place to camp and mountain bike is a place called “Buffalo Creek” in Colorado. It’s very peaceful and serene it feels like another world. The views are great for nature lovers like me and the air is nice and clean. There are tons of trails that you can go on and ride your bike with likeminded people. I went there for Memorial Day weekend it was awesome, good times, it’s a memory I won’t ever forget.

I'm just back from a brief vacation in the province and I found so many places there apt for biking and camping. What made the place even better is the zero crime rate that they claim, meaning, their citizens are kind, generous, accommodating and peace-loving. It was really a good place to bike and camp although it if far from Manila. Besides, you cannot go there by biking because it is an island province. But nevertheless, I really enjoyed that few days I spent with biking friends.

In my recent vacation in the northernmost part of the country, our tour guide brought us to a secluded beach. It is called Blue Lagoon for its clear blue waters. There were families having their picnic and it's really a nice place, so clean and serene. Unfortunately, I was not able to bring swimming attire so what I did was to just wade in the water and to get my shorts wet.IMG_4020 cory blue lagoon RESIZED ok.jpg

If you were in Hawaii you could do it all over the place. No place in particular. However, on the island of Hawaii, you can have someone drop you off on the snow top mountains and watch the sunrise. Then you start riding down to sea level and be at the beach surfing by the afternoon.

mauna-Kea.jpg
Hey Josh that looks so picturesque ! And so beautiful.

I know it's not much use to people outside of the UK, but if any of you do come over here for an holiday then we also have some great national parks that have mountain bike trails and camp sites purpose built.

The lake district is just one of them that springs to mind so it's definitely worth a look. Of course you may need your thermals and an umbrella!

Some sections of the Pennine Way in England are good for cycling. Exact spots depend on whether you're into mountain biking, cyclo-cross or road racing. Bringing along your tent means you're not limited to looping yourself back, and there's plenty of camp sites around the place. If you're more adventurous, pitching up on the moors might be more your scene, but it's pretty rugged up there so take care.....

Up here in California we have big bear and it's a great location to mountain bike and camp at the same time. There's lots of great scenery and of course big bear lake. Personally i like this a lot because it's close to home and the roads aren't hard to bike at all. There are a lot of avid cyclists and campers that frequent the area too year round.