Mountain Biking For Me

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
I was able to experience my latest mountain biking just this weekend during our short vacation in Batanes, the so called land of the bikes. My friends brought along their bikes and they lent me one just so I could savor the hills. It was like surreal similar to the Sound of Music. The mowed grass would pose competition with the golf course.

Well, here is the souvenir shot I had for proof. Take a look at the terrain that is too hard to describe. IMG_3914 mt bike marlboro country RESIZED.jpg

Reactions: Damien Lee
Here is another photo that I want to share. The guy is the owner of that bike I borrowed. I really couldn't believe that he brought the bike from his home to this place that is more than 1 hour by plane. He said that his bike is his child so he brings it along wherever he goes. But I wonder how that would fit in a box or a crate? Let me check my picture folder if I had that shot in the airport.IMG_3913 biking friends RESIZED.jpg

That bike looks nice and sturdy. The backdrop is panoramic. You should have a nice time going around on your bike. I wish you enjoy your ride as much as we enjoy the pictures you uploaded. Good Luck!

Yes, @Bonzer, I really had a nice time in that brief vacation. The place has good panorama anywhere you look - mountains and greeneries and clear waters. We went to the other island by boat and in the pier, I saw an old bike which is already rusty. The owner uses it for traveling in the island since transportation there is expensive. He said further that people in the place use the bike or motorbike to travel, it is the standard vehicle. So if you are rich, you ride a motorcycle and if you are poor then you take that rusty bike.IMG_3712 cory bike RESIZED.jpg

Cool photo's!
Hey that's the great thing about a bike, it's accessible to rich and poor alike.
Even that rusty bike, is a trusty bike and will get you to work!

We went to the top of the hill where the provincial radar is located. No, we did not bike our way up. We were riding a tricycle, that's a motorcycle with a side car for passengers. And the tricycle is cute because it is a native vehicle. Okay, let me post the photo of that native tricycle. For roaming around in one of the islands, we paid $20 for the 4-hour ride. The side car is designed to accommodate 2 people comfortably.
IMG_3720 cory tricycle RESIZED.jpg

There was that hill called Radar Mountain because of the radar situated there. We climbed that hill riding in a tricycle and took some photos. In talking with one of the employees, I learned that they don't use any vehicle in going to work. The road is a winding road, zigzag and uphill, but they use only 2-wheels for reasons of economy. A car or jeep is expensive in fuel. So that uphill climb in the morning is their usual routine with their bikes. I don't think I could work in that radar facility. Here is one of their bikes that I intended to try but was shy to borrow.IMG_3638 radar bike RESIZED.jpg

After 3 days, we were off to the airport for our trip back home. Guess what? I chanced upon my friend. He was the one who lent me the mountain bike. It was really a surprise to see him with his bike in a bag. What more can I say? And he replied that it was his son, pointing to the bike. Truly, if you are a biker, you would love your bike no matter what. It looks like this is a sign that I should acquire my own new bike.IMG_4063 airport biker.JPG

@Corzhens That's a lovely souvenir shot and the landscape in those photos is absolutely breathtaking. By the way, I love your mountain bike, it looks robust and cut out for the job at hand. I can clearly tell that you had a great time, must be great to go mountain biking on those hills. Batanes seems like a terrific place and bike friendly to boot. I should definitely consider visiting the place once I draw myself away from my busy work schedule.

Reactions: Corzhens
@Damien Lee, that place called Batanes is one of a kind. By the way, that bike is not mine, I just borrowed it from the owner, that guy, hahahaaa. It was really a lucky chance that we met there so I had the opportunity to go mountain biking. But what we used for roaming around the island is the tricycle - a motorcycle with a side car. We rented it for $20 and we had the driver acting as tourist guide as well. It was great to see the sights.

Here is the shot of that tricycle, a native one with the cogon roof...IMG_3720 cory tricycle RESIZED.jpg

Whenever I would engage in any biking activity, it's not all biking for me. Aside from the sights, I also savor the food and drinks in the place. Even here at home, I would be stopping by the roadside and check on the cold drinks. Sometimes I buy cashew nuts which is the specialty of our neighboring town. But in the province of Batanes that I just visited, I was welcomed with boiled sweet potato and the fresh young coconut.

There it is...IMG_3726 boy biker RESIZED.jpg

you guy are cycling around the world , your positive attitude for life inspires me ,just follow your heart

Those are nice pictures and the view in those places is amazing. I would die to ride in those places since I love nature and mountain trails. Plus the beach looks so nice and it would be great to ride along the sea side. I miss having rides in these places and being able to appreciate the beauty of the scenery and the new experiences of being in a different place.

That must be a memorable vaccation, with active activities expirience. You make me really miss one as such!

I've always dreamed about going mountain biking in various countries but when I wa younger I never had the finances to do it. Now I'm older, I have the job, and the wife and kids to support so I think my dream will have to remain just that for the forseeable future, just a dream.

This is such a cool story. Great pics! The places you visit seem beautiful and I'd love to have an opportunity like that. I'm actually sure I could afford a trip like that, but I'd feel silly going alone and at the moment that's my only option. I've actually had a long trip in mind for a while now, although nothing exotic like this. I'll have the opportunity to try some freelance work in the future so I'll be looking on taking advantage of that and going on a big trip around Europe. Not the entire continent, of course, but spending few months on the road is something I have in mind.

Oh wow, that scenery is gorgeous! And how fun that you ran into your cycling friend again on the way home! Where I live it's all dense forest and farmland, so a totally different experience as far as backdrop goes...now you've shown me somewhere else where I would love to ride :)

I can relate to the island guy with the rusty bike...I used to live on a little island with a rusty bike too, and I put a lot of miles on that thing. It was annoying to ride sometimes but it never left me stranded ;)

Oh wow, that scenery is gorgeous! And how fun that you ran into your cycling friend again on the way home! Where I live it's all dense forest and farmland, so a totally different experience as far as backdrop goes...now you've shown me somewhere else where I would love to ride :)

I can relate to the island guy with the rusty bike...I used to live on a little island with a rusty bike too, and I put a lot of miles on that thing. It was annoying to ride sometimes but it never left me stranded ;)

In places like Batanes, the bike is a necessity. One of the natives told me that she grew up on top of the bike because the only jeepney that was plying the road charges an expensive fare for them. And since the roads are good and there are no vehicles around, even pre-school children are encouraged to use the bike when they go to school. Another thing going for that place is the honesty of the people with a zero crime rate - no risk of losing the bike or being stolen.

I was able to experience my latest mountain biking just this weekend during our short vacation in Batanes, the so called land of the bikes. My friends brought along their bikes and they lent me one just so I could savor the hills. It was like surreal similar to the Sound of Music. The mowed grass would pose competition with the golf course.

Well, here is the souvenir shot I had for proof. Take a look at the terrain that is too hard to describe. View attachment 713
It looks to be a great place to go mountain biking. The rolling hills and the flat grass that's a rider's dream lanscape