Mountain Biking Is DANGEROUS!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mike Vandeman, May 21, 2003.

  1. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Danny" <[email protected]> top posted like the insipid clone that he
    is:<[email protected]>...
    > But your reply to us replying to him does not count?...

    Nope.

    > Besides.. Being insipid can be a good thing. Most folks do not know what it means.

    I only used insipid to point out the fact that the dummy who used it originally doesn't know how to
    spell it. Virtual psuedointellectuals are a riot.

    > I tell them it's a secret governmental bureau that looks into newgroup fraud... They give me free
    > doughnuts.
    >
    > Danny

    > > Jesse <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Mike only writes these insepid articles to cause the many of us on the pro side of this to
    > > > argue.
    > >
    > > Guess again, dummy. All he wants is a reaction from you insipid clones and you're giving it
    > > to him.
    > >
    > > JD

  2. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Gary S. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Fri, 23 May 2003 13:46:59 +0000 (UTC), Gyp <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I think I'll stick to rational discusion it seems much better..
    > >
    > Rational discussion is quite possible, but not with Mikey.

    Gary gets it, what's your excuse Dyp?

    JD

  3. Gyp

    Gyp Guest

    JD wrote:
    >>>I think I'll stick to rational discusion it seems much better..
    >>>

    >>Rational discussion is quite possible, but not with Mikey.
    >

    > Gary gets it, what's your excuse Dyp?

    That's easy.. I wasn't talking to Mikey I was talking to the group..

    What's the point of talking with somebody that doesn't listen/think about what your saying?.

    Gyp (May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits)

  4. Elvis

    Elvis Guest

    > Elvis <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > >
    > > > ===
    > > > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want
    > > > to help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
    > > >
    > > > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
    > >
    > > Heya mike vanderdick:
    > >
    > > 1. You've been using this same sig for many years: did you stop at 8, or are you just dumber
    > > than a spoke and don't know how to change it?
    >
    > Look, stop making yourself look stupid - he said he was [currently] working on creating this
    > habitat, and was for 8 years prior to that, fighting auto dependence etc. I can't belive how many
    > of you suckers he gets with those lines, especially considering he's such a 10 watt bulb.

    OK dipshitshaun

    Mike:

    1. How successful was you "8 year" fight, and how succesful is the current one?

    > > 2. You state you are "working' to create "pure habitat": it sounds as if in "8" or so years
    > > you've failed miserably, and will continue to do so...

    2. IS the ONLY way you are really invovled in this bowel movement of yours is to post moronic
    messages on the internet?

    > Oh, FFS - learn to read properly before commenting on his trip, otherwise you'll only give the
    > freak yet another orgasm.

    There dipshitshaun: better?

    LSV

  5. On Wed, 21 May 2003 07:47:15 -0700, Steve Petree <[email protected]> wrote:

    .In all forums, and topics, it is always useful to have debates, about .whether what we do is fun,
    or useful, or meaningful, or dangerous, etc. .Mike, I don't agree with everything you say, but I
    do agree with a small .part, and in any case debate is always interesting. .That said., to use the
    unfortunate demise of a fellow human being to .advance your agenda, whether you agree with what
    the're doing, or not, .says more about the smallness of your soul than anything you could
    .possibly write

    So what you are saying is that when your idiotic sport causes someone to die, which MOST people
    would consider very significant, we should all look the other way and pretend that mountain biking
    is a harmless, benign pastime. You are just EMBARRASSED that your sport has been exposed for what it
    is: a harmful, dangerous activity that should be banned from all natural areas.

    .To risk something is to gain reward, whether it be in mountain biking, .or environmentalism (sic?),
    no life is worthless, whether they are .mountain bikers, or environmentalists. .I'm not a godly man,
    but I'll ask someone who is, to pray for your .soul's redemption.

    Physician, heal thyself! :) You aren't being honest. This example proves, once again, that mountain
    biking should be banned.

    .BR to mountain bikers, & environmentalists .Steve . .Mike Vandeman wrote: . .>The definition of an
    addiction is a compulsion so strong that a mountain biker .>is willing to risk EVERYTHING, including
    their own worthless life, to pursue .>their selfish, destructive sport! .> .>Mike .> .>P.S. I wonder
    why they need an autopsy? It is obvious that the cause of death is .>TERMINAL STUPIDITY! .> .>
    .>Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 .>Subject: Mountain biker dies on practice run .> .>Cyclist crashes, dies
    during practice .>Sunday, May 18, 2003
    .>------------------------------------------------------------------------ .>(05-18) 00:12 PDT BIG
    BEAR LAKE, Calif. (AP) -- .>Japanese cyclist Haruko Fujinaka was killed in a crash Saturday morning
    while .>practicing for an event at Snow Summit Mountain Resort. .>Fujinaka, 33, appeared to clear a
    jump but lost control in the air and fell .>to the ground around 10 a.m. Fire Dept. Capt. Richard
    Flint said she was .>breathing and had a pulse when he reached her minutes later. .>"But when I
    arrived, she was unconscious and not responsive to any stimuli," .>Flint said. .>She was taken to a
    hospital, and then transported by helicopter to Loma Linda .>University Medical Center in Riverside
    County. The Kyoto native was .>pronounced dead at 11:51 a.m. .>Deputy coroner Jim Sedgwick said
    Fujinaka died from multiple injuries, and .>said an autopsy would be performed later this week.
    .>Flint said it was the first fatality he could recall in the history of the .>National Championship
    Mountain Bike Series at Big Bear Lake. .>Fujinaka competed in professional mountain biking events on
    several .>continents, and finished in the top 10 in races in Australia, Japan and the .>United
    States. .>Finals in most events remained scheduled for Sunday at Snow Summit, about 100 .>miles east
    of Los Angeles. .> .> .>=== .>I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to

  6. On Wed, 21 May 2003 09:57:13 -0500, Dick <[email protected]> wrote:

    .Mike Vandeman wrote: .> The definition of an addiction is a compulsion so strong that a mountain
    biker .> is willing to risk EVERYTHING, including their own worthless life, to pursue .> their
    selfish, destructive sport! .> .> Mike .> .> P.S. I wonder why they need an autopsy? It is obvious
    that the cause of death is .> TERMINAL STUPIDITY! .> .> .> Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 .> Subject:
    Mountain biker dies on practice run .> .> Cyclist crashes, dies during practice . .Seriously Mike,
    have some respect, someone died. There is no need to .stoop that low. Anything and everything has a
    degree of danger to it.

    Oh, sure. We should pretend that mountain biking is about as dangerous as knitting or
    basket-weaving! You are just EMBARRASSED that your selfish, destructive sport was exposed for the
    dangerous, idiotic activity that it IS. It is evolution (as in the Darwin Awards) in action.
    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  7. On Wed, 21 May 2003 16:17:38 +0100, "Chris Garwood" <[email protected]> wrote:

    .I wanted to post something in reply to this message, but I am a little .appalled by what I have
    just read by Mike, usually what he writes is .amusing, I never realised that it was because he was
    soulless . .Mike, tonight I will pray for you, may you go where somebody who can gloat .at the death
    of another should go

    Who's gloating? I am just pointing out the FACT that mountain biking is so dangerous to participants
    and bystanders that it should be BANNED. You aren't being honest.
    ===

  8. On Wed, 21 May 2003 15:18:42 GMT, "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote:

    ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    .news:[email protected]... .> The definition of an addiction is a
    compulsion so strong that a mountain .biker .> is willing to risk EVERYTHING, including their own
    worthless life, to .pursue .> their selfish, destructive sport! .> .> Mike .> .> P.S. I wonder why
    they need an autopsy? It is obvious that the cause of .death is .> TERMINAL STUPIDITY! . .Mike, you
    have a right to your opinion; but please think before posting. . .Free climbing? Diving? Hang
    gliding? Spelunking? There are dozens of .adventurous activities that could kill you quite easily if
    you lose control, .become too adventurous, get caught in a storm, etc. Happens all the time.

    So what's your point? Do we have to look the other way, and pretend that they are benign?

    .I'm glad that you're trying to preserve wild habitat. It's a noble cause. .(I've backed you on
    this, years ago, on a-m.b). If you want to villify .humans for their destruction of the Earth, start
    with the auto industry. .Mountain bikers are far down the list of offensive groups, IMO.

    So you admit that they are on the list. What's your point? Are we supposed to look the other way,
    just because YOU happen to like mountain biking?

    You need .some perspective, sir. Visit emerging industrialized nations and see what .wholesale
    destruction of natural habitats looks like. . .Humans are a blip on Mother Nature's timeline.

    BS. We use 40% of the biological production of the planet.

    We're as insects under Her .feet. The Earth will continue to morph in mysterious and wonderful ways
    .millions of eons after our civilization is crushed into a thin strata of .interesting molecules.

    And therefore we should look the other way, when mountain bikers destroy wildlife habitat? You
    aren't being honest. .Barry . .

    ===

  9. On Wed, 21 May 2003 09:14:04 -0700, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote:

    ."Flint said it was the first fatality he could recall in the history of the .National Championship
    Mountain Bike Series at Big Bear Lake." . .... and you say that this is newsworthy? Driving a car is
    dangerous, walking .down the street is dangerous, boiling an egg is dangerous.

    I know mountain bikers would prefer that we pretend that this never happened. Too bad.

    Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 .> Subject: Mountain biker dies on practice run .> .<SNIP> . .Well, then I
    guess I don't suffer from TERMINAL STIPIDITY as you so .eloquently phrase (must have looked in the
    mirror to get that one) since I .ride a mountain bike and have no desire whatsoever to risk
    EVERYTHING in .pursuit of my rather enjoyable sport. I don't race (and let's not forget .that she
    died while practicing for a race on a sanctioned course rather than .bombing down the local hiking
    trail as I'm sure you would rather have had .happen) downhill and I am very much aware that if I
    can't ride something I .walk it. That's just common sense. I'm not about to risk personal injury
    .or death just to ride my bike. . .Now, getting in my car every day is far moe dangerous than
    riding my bike,

    So you are just as stupid as other mountain bikers.
    ===

  11. On 21 May 2003 10:11:06 -0700, [email protected] (The Ogre) wrote:

    .Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... .> The definition of an addiction is a
    compulsion so strong that a mountain biker .> is willing to risk EVERYTHING, including their own
    worthless life, to pursue .> their selfish, destructive sport! . .Search Google for "Died while
    Hiking" returns 86,000 results. "Died .while Mountain Biking" only returns 11,000. Not exactally a
    .statistical analysis but it backs up what I recall: a lot more people .die while hiking than
    mountain biking.

    That's how one lies with statistics. The fact is that a much smalles PERCENTAGE of hikers die, than
    mountain bikers.

    By your arguement hiking is .even more selfish and destructive than mountain biking. Why don't you
    .bring some statistics to the table Mike and we'll see exactally which .sport is more dangerous. .
    .The fact is that very few people get killed while mountain biking and .most of those who do get
    killed are on the extreme edge of the sport .(in this case downhill racing).

    Oh, so we should look the other way when it happens? Thanks for proving that mountain bikers are
    terminally stupid.

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  12. On Wed, 21 May 2003 16:22:34 GMT, Gary S. <[email protected]> wrote:

    .On Wed, 21 May 2003 07:47:15 -0700, Steve Petree .<[email protected]> wrote: . .>Mike Vandeman
    wrote: .> .>>The definition of an addiction is a compulsion so strong that a mountain biker .>>is
    willing to risk EVERYTHING, including their own worthless life, to pursue .>>their selfish,
    destructive sport! .>> .>>Mike .>> .>>P.S. I wonder why they need an autopsy? It is obvious that the
    cause of death is .>>TERMINAL STUPIDITY! .>> .>> .>>Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 .>>Subject: Mountain
    biker dies on practice run .>> .>>Cyclist crashes, dies during practice .>>Sunday, May 18, 2003
[...]
    100 .>>miles east of Los Angeles. .>> .>In all forums, and topics, it is always useful to have
    debates, about .>whether what we do is fun, or useful, or meaningful, or dangerous, etc. .>Mike, I
    don't agree with everything you say, but I do agree with a small .>part, and in any case debate is
    always interesting. .>That said., to use the unfortunate demise of a fellow human being to .>advance
    your agenda, whether you agree with what the're doing, or not, .>says more about the smallness of
    your soul than anything you could .>possibly write .>To risk something is to gain reward, whether it
    be in mountain biking, .>or environmentalism (sic?), no life is worthless, whether they are
    .>mountain bikers, or environmentalists. .>I'm not a godly man, but I'll ask someone who is, to pray
    for your .>soul's redemption. .>BR to mountain bikers, & environmentalists .>Steve .> .The
    definition of an addiction is a compulsion so strong that a PhD is .willing to risk EVERYTHING,
    including their own worthless reputation, .to pursue their selfish, destructive crusade! . .By the
    same logic, the death of Dale Earnhart should lead to a crusade .to ban all cars.

    Of course it should!

    .Any person who takes such pleasure in the death of another, and uses .it to promote their cause (no
    matter how much of a stretch), shows the .symptoms of a psychopath, with no empathy for others. He
    has done this .a number of times before.

    Who said anything about pleasure? I am just pointing out the fact that this sport is so destructive
    that it should be banned.

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  13. On Wed, 21 May 2003 18:11:05 +0000 (UTC), "Graham Haller" <[email protected]> wrote:

    .As the inscription on the Alex MacIntyer memorial in the Annapurna Sanctuary .puts it:- ."It is
    better to live one day as a Tiger, than 10,000 days as a Sheep."

    That's just racial prejudice.

    ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    .news:[email protected]... .> The definition of an addiction is a
    compulsion so strong that a mountain .biker .> is willing to risk EVERYTHING, including their own
    worthless life, to .pursue .> their selfish, destructive sport! .> .> Mike .> .> P.S. I wonder why
    they need an autopsy? It is obvious that the cause of .death is .> TERMINAL STUPIDITY! .> .> . .

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  14. On Wed, 21 May 2003 13:16:11 -0700, "GaryG" <[email protected]_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote:

    .What an awful thing to say, Mike. Mocking another human's death in order to .promote your political
    cause is pretty pathetic.

    Honesty is the best policy. I know you guys would rather that we look the other way, when someone
    proves just how STUPID you are.

    .From this, and previous posts, you seem like a profoundly unhappy person, .filled with
    self-loathing, and by extension, hatred for the rest of .humanity. It looks like you've wrapped up
    your hate in an environmental ."cause" which keeps you from looking at the true source of your
    unhappiness .(here's a clue...it's not mountain bikes). . .Do you have anyone close, emotionally, in
    your life? With your strident .negativity, I doubt it. I really think you should look inside
    yourself, and .seek out professional help for you obvious emotional and mental issues. . .Posting
    stuff like this is a pretty awful way to live, don't you think?

    No. It could save lives. I know you'd rather ignore it.

    Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 .> Subject: Mountain biker dies on practice run .> .> Cyclist crashes, dies

  15. On Thu, 22 May 2003 10:30:16 +0200, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

    .Mike Vandeman wrote: . .> The definition of an addiction is a compulsion so strong that a mountain
    biker .> is willing to risk EVERYTHING, including their own worthless life, to pursue .> their
    selfish, destructive sport! .> .> Mike .> .> P.S. I wonder why they need an autopsy? It is obvious
    that the cause of death is .> TERMINAL STUPIDITY! . .I find you argumentative style and ranting
    endearing in a perverse way .and I've often defended your right to free speech and privacy in the
    .face of those you wind up. However, to celebrate the death of another .human as a means to further
    your own agenda is disgraceful.

    Who's celebrating? I think it's DISGUSTING that this form of butchery ia allowed.

    .Karma is often mentioned round these parts. I hope you take that on .board before ever posting
    something as distasteful as this again.

    Sure. Telling the truth is distasteful, to mountain bikers!
    ===

  16. On Thu, 22 May 2003 05:45:47 -0400, Peter H <[email protected]> wrote:

    .Mike Vandeman wrote: . .>The definition of an addiction is a compulsion so strong that a mountain
    biker .>is willing to risk EVERYTHING, .> .Therefore only mountain bikers are subject to addiction?
    Again, the .logic (so-called) is tortured beyond recognition. . .> .>P.S. I wonder why they need an
    autopsy? It is obvious that the cause of death is .>TERMINAL STUPIDITY! .> .> .> .> .> .This is so
    insensitive & callous as to be beyond words. In addition to .dysfunctional cognition and
    obsessive-compulsive ranting and raving, you .have no outward spark of humanity in you.

    I'm trying to save your worthless life, idiot! I know you'd rather that we look the pther way, and
    pretend that mountain biking is a harmless activity.
    ===

  17. On Wed, 21 May 2003 20:32:18 +0200, "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote:

    .Mike Vandeman wrote: .> The definition of an addiction is a compulsion so strong that a mountain
    .biker .> is willing to risk EVERYTHING, including their own worthless life, to .pursue .> their
    selfish, destructive sport! .> .> Mike .> .> P.S. I wonder why they need an autopsy? It is obvious
    that the cause of .death is .> TERMINAL STUPIDITY! .> .> .> Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 .> Subject:
    Mountain biker dies on practice run .> .> Cyclist crashes, dies during practice . .Dude, that is one
    of the most callous things I have ever seen here. Show .some respect for the dead. And note: Even if
    you really do feel so callous .in your heart, stop and think. Open Schadenfreude is not going to do
    your .cause any good.

    Oh, sure. We should just look the other way, and encourage more people to do the same thing! Idiot!
    ===

  18. On Thu, 22 May 2003 07:35:31 GMT, Jesse <[email protected]> wrote:

    .Mike only writes these insepid articles to cause the many of us on the .pro side of this to
    argue. You see, he is the minority opinion in this .debate and like other debates where there is a
    line drawn seperating the .majority opinion holders from the minority opinion holders, the
    minority .opinion holders will do anything to divide the majority holders thereby .creating
    dissention and violating the cohesiveness of the bond that the .majority opinion holders share. .
    .When the majority of Americans voted Democratic in the Bush-Clinton and .whatshisname race, the
    losing parties tried to discredit the winning .party by establishing doubt and creating dissention
    among the majority .opinion holders of the time, the same way that the losers of the last
    .election attemtped to discredit the winner of that one with silly .attempts to change the
    outcome. And you can bet that the next .Presidential election will not escape insepid rancoring
    and attempts to .win by any means by either side of the political arena. However we see .that the
    majority opinion holders always win and that victory is only .gauranteed when the majority opinion
    holders do not fall prey to the .minority opinion holders tactics. . .That same logic applied here
    says that no one can document where .mountain biking is any more dangerous than any other activity
    that .people partake.

    Oh, sure. Like knitting and basketweaving. Idiot!

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  19. Danny

    Danny Guest

    No, You are not being honest.. Bathtubs, walking, automobiles, airplanes, dogs, snakes, etc.. et
    al.. are all more deadly than bicycle riding in ANY fashion.. You just like to hear your own voice..
    as squeeky as it may be.

    Does your mom still make you wear dresses at home?

    Danny

    > Who's gloating? I am just pointing out the FACT that mountain biking is so dangerous to
    > participants and bystanders that it should be BANNED. You
    aren't
    > being honest.
    > ===
    > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
    > help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
    >
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  20. Danny

    Danny Guest

    RACIAL PREJUDICE??? You really are a dumbass aren't you?

    Danny