Mountain Biking on Everest

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Martin Sinclair, Mar 5, 2003.

  1. Hi All,

    Just thought you people may be interested in a MTB trip I have just done, I cycled from Lhasa(Tibet)
    to Kathmandu (Nepal) via Mt Everest base camp.

    Got some pictured on this web site

    http://www.lhasa-2-kathmandu.co.uk

    Cheers Mart

    Tags:

  2. L Hays

    L Hays Guest

    "martin sinclair" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Just thought you people may be interested in a MTB trip I have just done,
    > cycled from Lhasa(Tibet) to Kathmandu (Nepal) via Mt Everest base camp.
    >
    > Got some pictured on this web site
    >
    > http://www.lhasa-2-kathmandu.co.uk
    >
    > Cheers Mart

    Thanks for the post Martin.

    It was a little slow to load, but a pleasure to view.

    Thanks again.

    Lance Hays

  3. i'm glad you liked it

    appols for the speed tho'

    hope you signed the guest book......

    Mart

    "L Hays" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "martin sinclair" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > Just thought you people may be interested in a MTB trip I have just
    done,
    > > cycled from Lhasa(Tibet) to Kathmandu (Nepal) via Mt Everest base camp.
    > >
    > > Got some pictured on this web site
    > >
    > > http://www.lhasa-2-kathmandu.co.uk
    > >
    > > Cheers Mart
    > >

    > Thanks for the post Martin.
    >
    > It was a little slow to load, but a pleasure to view.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Lance Hays

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    martin sinclair wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Just thought you people may be interested in a MTB trip I have just done, I cycled from
    > Lhasa(Tibet) to Kathmandu (Nepal) via Mt Everest base camp.
    >
    > Got some pictured on this web site
    >
    > http://www.lhasa-2-kathmandu.co.uk

    Absolutely wonderful, although I'm positive I've seen it before... (Ah, you posted the link
    last July)

    I'd love to do something like that one day...

  5. Yes i did post this last year but wanted to repost so new people to this group could see the pics
    and hopefully be insipred.

    Mart

    > martin sinclair wrote:
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > Just thought you people may be interested in a MTB trip I have just
    done, I
    > > cycled from Lhasa(Tibet) to Kathmandu (Nepal) via Mt Everest base camp.
    > >
    > > Got some pictured on this web site
    > >
    > > http://www.lhasa-2-kathmandu.co.uk
    >
    > Absolutely wonderful, although I'm positive I've seen it before... (Ah, you posted the link
    > last July)
    >
    > I'd love to do something like that one day...

  6. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > Just thought you people may be interested in a MTB trip I have just done,
    > cycled from Lhasa(Tibet) to Kathmandu (Nepal) via Mt Everest base camp.

    How is the situation now? Is it possible to cycle from Lhasa to Kathmandu without joining a group?
    Prefer to ride on our own.

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTB-Himalaya.html

  7. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 19:24:44 -0000, "martin sinclair" <[email protected]> blathered:

    >> > you people may be interested in a MTB trip I have just done http://www.lhasa-2-kathmandu.co.uk

    >> Absolutely wonderful, although I'm positive I've seen it before... (Ah, you posted the link
    >> last July)

    And he still hasn't corrected the spelling mistakes...

    Paying someone else to carry your bags and arrange the logistics. Yep, I'm inspired.

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

  8. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 18:31:24 -0000, "martin sinclair" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >Just thought you people may be interested in a MTB trip I have just done, I cycled from
    >Lhasa(Tibet) to Kathmandu (Nepal) via Mt Everest base camp.
    >
    >Got some pictured on this web site
    >
    >http://www.lhasa-2-kathmandu.co.uk
    >
    >Cheers Mart

    Nice, Bill

    Thanks for sharing.

    Peace The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
    :-]

  9. Per,

    When I was in Thailand in December, we rode with a Dutchman for several days. He had ridden from
    Holland to Thailand and was on his way to Darwin, Australia. His tour took him through Armenia,
    Kazakhstan, Bangladesh, China, etc. He entered Tibet via China, road to Everest base camp then
    continued on to Katmandu all on his own. He said it was a really nice part of his trip except that
    when you didn't return the children's screams of "hello, hello hello!" they threw rocks at him!

    He was a warrior and great guy.

    http://www.adventureology.com/thai/pics/part2/P1010197.html

    Unfortunately he looks like John Walker Lindt - the American Taliban.

    :)

    C.

    --
    ---------------------------------
    www.adventureology.com
    "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Just thought you people may be interested in a MTB trip I have just
    done,
    > > cycled from Lhasa(Tibet) to Kathmandu (Nepal) via Mt Everest base camp.
    >
    > How is the situation now? Is it possible to cycle from Lhasa to Kathmandu without joining a group?
    > Prefer to ride on our own.
    >
    > Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTB-Himalaya.html

  10. Fish!

    Fish! Guest

    > On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 19:24:44 -0000, "martin sinclair" <[email protected]> blathered:

    > >> Absolutely wonderful, although I'm positive I've seen it before... (Ah, you posted the link
    > >> last July)
    >
    > And he still hasn't corrected the spelling mistakes...
    >
    > Paying someone else to carry your bags and arrange the logistics. Yep, I'm inspired.
    >
    > Pete
    > ----
    > http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

    And paying those people is their principal source of income.

  11. Fish! wrote:

    >>On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 19:24:44 -0000, "martin sinclair" <[email protected]> blathered:

    >>And he still hasn't corrected the spelling mistakes...
    >>
    >>Paying someone else to carry your bags and arrange the logistics. Yep, I'm inspired.
    >>
    >>Pete
    >>----
    >>http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/
    >>

    > And paying those people is their principal source of income.

    He's not talking about Sherpas, he's talking about the tour companies that arrange for everything
    and carry all your gear in a support vehicle. And yes, it is their principal source of income
    because they chose to make it their job.

    Jon Bond

  12. Fish!

    Fish! Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > Fish! wrote:
    > >
    > >>On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 19:24:44 -0000, "martin sinclair" <[email protected]> blathered:

    > >>And he still hasn't corrected the spelling mistakes...
    > >>
    > >>Paying someone else to carry your bags and arrange the logistics. Yep, I'm inspired.
    > >>
    > >>Pete
    > >>----
    > >>http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/
    > >>

    > > And paying those people is their principal source of income.
    >
    > He's not talking about Sherpas, he's talking about the tour companies that arrange for everything
    > and carry all your gear in a support vehicle. And yes, it is their principal source of income
    > because they chose to make it their job.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Oh, the humanity.

  13. Fish! wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    >

    >>Fish! wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >>>And paying those people is their principal source of income.
    >>
    >>He's not talking about Sherpas, he's talking about the tour companies that arrange for everything
    >>and carry all your gear in a support vehicle. And yes, it is their principal source of income
    >>because they chose to make it their job.
    >>
    >>Jon Bond
    >>

    > Oh, the humanity.

    I'm not saying its a bad thing, I'm just setting the record straight ;)

    Personally, if I was to take a tour like that, I'd probably use a company. The logistics part of it
    is just a bitch, so anything I don't have to do, sweet.

    Jon Bond

  14. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > Fish! wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    >
    > > Oh, the humanity.
    >
    > I'm not saying its a bad thing, I'm just setting the record straight ;)
    >
    > Personally, if I was to take a tour like that, I'd probably use a company. The logistics part of
    > it is just a bitch, so anything I don't have to do, sweet.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Speaking of which, when are they going to slap some chair lifts on that little hill?

    --
    Slacker

  15. martin sinclair wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Just thought you people may be interested in a MTB trip I have just done, I cycled from
    > Lhasa(Tibet) to Kathmandu (Nepal) via Mt Everest base camp.
    >
    > Got some pictured on this web site
    >
    > http://www.lhasa-2-kathmandu.co.uk
    >
    > Cheers Mart

    That's a ride I'm sorry that I missed! Looks like fun.

  16. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

  17. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 01:46:48 GMT, Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> blathered:

    >>>Paying someone else to carry your bags and arrange the logistics. Yep, I'm inspired.

    >> And paying those people is their principal source of income.
    >
    >He's not talking about Sherpas, he's talking about the tour companies that arrange for everything
    >and carry all your gear in a support vehicle. And yes, it is their principal source of income
    >because they chose to make it their job.

    It's the principal source of income for the company that appears to have organised the trip - KE
    Adventure, based in the town where I live right here in the UK. Don't delude yourself, Fish - that
    cash isn't going to help poor starving Tibetans, it's going to subsidise a very nice lifestyle for
    the guys who run the company here.

    If Martin had a nice holiday, great - but there are plenty of people, like the Dutch guy mentioned
    further down the thread, doing far more epic trips than this without any help. And all the money
    they spend goes directly into the pockets of local people along the way.

    Having said that, I had a kind of epiphany in Laos this winter. I'd been feeling uneasy about the
    effects of tourism that I was seeing as I cycled through SE Asia. After riding through NE Laos
    (pretty remote area) I touched down in backpacker land again at a village called Nong Khiaw. Nice
    little cluster of guest houses at the upstream end of town, all their toilets emptying straight into
    the river....150 yards upstream of where the local villagers (the ones who haven't cashed in on the
    tourist trade) are busy washing their clothes. And themselves. Too bad for them, eh? What struck me
    was the fact that none of the tourists even seemed to be aware of what they were contributing to.

    I've always known intellectually that tourism causes problems e.g. deforestation in Nepal to provide
    trekkers with hot showers and pizzas. Living in the Lake District I can see how it's deteriorating
    year after year. However, as a country we're rich enough to do something about it. The developing
    world isn't, and I can no longer stomach what uncontrolled (and unsustainable) tourist development
    is doing to these places.

    As a solo cyclist I've always consoled myself with the idea that it's probably the most impact free
    form of tourism going, but that's mere sophistry. It's the reason I finished the trip early, and the
    reason I've decided I won't be going to any more countries that can't sustain my presence.

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

  18. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > When I was in Thailand in December, we rode with a Dutchman for several days. He had ridden from
    > Holland to Thailand and was on his way to Darwin, Australia. His tour took him through Armenia,
    > Kazakhstan, Bangladesh,
    China,
    > etc. He entered Tibet via China, road to Everest base camp then continued
    on
    > to Katmandu all on his own.

    We would like to do it, preferably starting in Chengdu or Zongdian, but the situation just seems too
    unpredictable. No any fun to have to turn back because of the Chinese. Were in Tibet years ago and
    we left because it felt comparable to touristing in Norway or France 1943.
    http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/Trekking/Hiddenvalley/Hiddentrek1.html Would not like to go with
    support trucks, cooks and field toilet. On the other hand since we were in Ladakh, burned up rear
    rim on Khardong La (5600+), and could buy a new rear wheel from a Swiss group with a support bus etc
    that had just finished their ride up from Manali we are glad that they are around. In fact they
    saved our trip. So we appreciate the group tours.

    Per

  19. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > After riding through NE Laos (pretty remote area) I touched down in backpacker land again at a
    > village called Nong Khiaw. Nice little cluster of guest houses at the upstream end of town, all
    > their toilets emptying straight into the river....150 yards upstream of where the local villagers
    > (the ones who haven't cashed in on the tourist trade) are busy washing their clothes. And
    > themselves. Too bad for them, eh? What struck me was the fact that none of the tourists even
    > seemed to be aware of what they were contributing to.

    - Hm aware of the fact that Nong Khiaw is a backpacer ghetto we skipped it all together.

    > As a solo cyclist I've always consoled myself with the idea that it's probably the most impact
    > free form of tourism going, but that's mere sophistry. It's the reason I finished the trip early,
    > and the reason I've decided I won't be going to any more countries that can't sustain my presence.

    So, did you make to China via Camodia and Viet Nam and then back to Lao? Or? Looking forward to see
    a report on your site.

    We are undecided about where to cycle this year. Got som inspiration from your site. Consider
    Colorado. It will be just as exotic as Lao for us and have some really fine singletrack. But as yet
    we are completely undecided.

    Per

  20. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 22:03:12 GMT, "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> blathered:

    >aware of the fact that Nong Khiaw is a backpacer ghetto we skipped it

    I didn't have much choice, I came in from the NE.

    >did you make to China via Camodia and Viet Nam and then back to Lao?

    Got to Hanoi and was just getting pissed off with the whole thing. I flew back to Vientiane to spend
    New Year with friends who live there, then did a loop up through the NE while waiting for a
    rescheduled flight home.

    Colorado is well worth a visit on a bike. I'm off round Norway & Iceland this spring/summer, towing
    a bunch of climbing kit behind me on a trailer.

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/