Mountain Biking on Everest

Martin Sinclair

Guest
Hi All,

Just thought you people may be interested in a MTB trip I have just done, I cycled from Lhasa(Tibet)
to Kathmandu (Nepal) via Mt Everest base camp.

Got some pictured on this web site

http://www.lhasa-2-kathmandu.co.uk

Cheers Mart

"martin sinclair" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Hi All,
>
> Just thought you people may be interested in a MTB trip I have just done,
> cycled from Lhasa(Tibet) to Kathmandu (Nepal) via Mt Everest base camp.
>
> Got some pictured on this web site
>
> http://www.lhasa-2-kathmandu.co.uk
>
> Cheers Mart

Thanks for the post Martin.

It was a little slow to load, but a pleasure to view.

Thanks again.

Lance Hays

i'm glad you liked it

appols for the speed tho'

hope you signed the guest book......

Mart

news:[email protected]...

martin sinclair wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just thought you people may be interested in a MTB trip I have just done, I cycled from
> Lhasa(Tibet) to Kathmandu (Nepal) via Mt Everest base camp.
>
> Got some pictured on this web site
>
> http://www.lhasa-2-kathmandu.co.uk

Absolutely wonderful, although I'm positive I've seen it before... (Ah, you posted the link
last July)

I'd love to do something like that one day...

Yes i did post this last year but wanted to repost so new people to this group could see the pics
and hopefully be insipred.

Mart

> martin sinclair wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Just thought you people may be interested in a MTB trip I have just
done, I
> > cycled from Lhasa(Tibet) to Kathmandu (Nepal) via Mt Everest base camp.
> >
> > Got some pictured on this web site
> >
> > http://www.lhasa-2-kathmandu.co.uk
>
> Absolutely wonderful, although I'm positive I've seen it before... (Ah, you posted the link
> last July)
>
> I'd love to do something like that one day...

> Just thought you people may be interested in a MTB trip I have just done,
> cycled from Lhasa(Tibet) to Kathmandu (Nepal) via Mt Everest base camp.

How is the situation now? Is it possible to cycle from Lhasa to Kathmandu without joining a group?
Prefer to ride on our own.

Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTB-Himalaya.html

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 19:24:44 -0000, "martin sinclair" <[email protected]> blathered:

>> > you people may be interested in a MTB trip I have just done http://www.lhasa-2-kathmandu.co.uk

>> Absolutely wonderful, although I'm positive I've seen it before... (Ah, you posted the link
>> last July)

And he still hasn't corrected the spelling mistakes...

Paying someone else to carry your bags and arrange the logistics. Yep, I'm inspired.

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 18:31:24 -0000, "martin sinclair" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Just thought you people may be interested in a MTB trip I have just done, I cycled from
>Lhasa(Tibet) to Kathmandu (Nepal) via Mt Everest base camp.
>
>Got some pictured on this web site
>
>http://www.lhasa-2-kathmandu.co.uk
>
>Cheers Mart

Nice, Bill

Thanks for sharing.

Peace The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
:-]

Per,

When I was in Thailand in December, we rode with a Dutchman for several days. He had ridden from
Holland to Thailand and was on his way to Darwin, Australia. His tour took him through Armenia,
Kazakhstan, Bangladesh, China, etc. He entered Tibet via China, road to Everest base camp then
continued on to Katmandu all on his own. He said it was a really nice part of his trip except that
when you didn't return the children's screams of "hello, hello hello!" they threw rocks at him!

He was a warrior and great guy.

http://www.adventureology.com/thai/pics/part2/P1010197.html

Unfortunately he looks like John Walker Lindt - the American Taliban.

:)

C.

--
---------------------------------
www.adventureology.com
"Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Just thought you people may be interested in a MTB trip I have just
done,
> > cycled from Lhasa(Tibet) to Kathmandu (Nepal) via Mt Everest base camp.
>
> How is the situation now? Is it possible to cycle from Lhasa to Kathmandu without joining a group?
> Prefer to ride on our own.
>
> Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/MTB-Himalaya.html

> On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 19:24:44 -0000, "martin sinclair" <[email protected]> blathered:

> >> Absolutely wonderful, although I'm positive I've seen it before... (Ah, you posted the link
> >> last July)
>
> And he still hasn't corrected the spelling mistakes...
>
> Paying someone else to carry your bags and arrange the logistics. Yep, I'm inspired.
>
> Pete
> ----
> http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

And paying those people is their principal source of income.

Fish! wrote:

>>On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 19:24:44 -0000, "martin sinclair" <[email protected]> blathered:

>>And he still hasn't corrected the spelling mistakes...
>>
>>Paying someone else to carry your bags and arrange the logistics. Yep, I'm inspired.
>>
>>Pete
>>----
>>http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/
>>

> And paying those people is their principal source of income.

He's not talking about Sherpas, he's talking about the tour companies that arrange for everything
and carry all your gear in a support vehicle. And yes, it is their principal source of income
because they chose to make it their job.

Jon Bond

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> Fish! wrote:
> >
> >>On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 19:24:44 -0000, "martin sinclair" <[email protected]> blathered:

> >>And he still hasn't corrected the spelling mistakes...
> >>
> >>Paying someone else to carry your bags and arrange the logistics. Yep, I'm inspired.
> >>
> >>Pete
> >>----
> >>http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/
> >>

> > And paying those people is their principal source of income.
>
> He's not talking about Sherpas, he's talking about the tour companies that arrange for everything
> and carry all your gear in a support vehicle. And yes, it is their principal source of income
> because they chose to make it their job.
>
> Jon Bond

Oh, the humanity.

Fish! wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>

>>Fish! wrote:
>>
>>>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

>>>And paying those people is their principal source of income.
>>
>>He's not talking about Sherpas, he's talking about the tour companies that arrange for everything
>>and carry all your gear in a support vehicle. And yes, it is their principal source of income
>>because they chose to make it their job.
>>
>>Jon Bond
>>

> Oh, the humanity.

I'm not saying its a bad thing, I'm just setting the record straight ;)

Personally, if I was to take a tour like that, I'd probably use a company. The logistics part of it
is just a *****, so anything I don't have to do, sweet.

Jon Bond

> Fish! wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
>
> > Oh, the humanity.
>
> I'm not saying its a bad thing, I'm just setting the record straight ;)
>
> Personally, if I was to take a tour like that, I'd probably use a company. The logistics part of
> it is just a *****, so anything I don't have to do, sweet.
>
> Jon Bond

Speaking of which, when are they going to slap some chair lifts on that little hill?

--
Slacker

martin sinclair wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Just thought you people may be interested in a MTB trip I have just done, I cycled from
> Lhasa(Tibet) to Kathmandu (Nepal) via Mt Everest base camp.
>
> Got some pictured on this web site
>
> http://www.lhasa-2-kathmandu.co.uk
>
> Cheers Mart

That's a ride I'm sorry that I missed! Looks like fun.

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 01:46:48 GMT, Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> blathered:

>>>Paying someone else to carry your bags and arrange the logistics. Yep, I'm inspired.

>> And paying those people is their principal source of income.
>
>He's not talking about Sherpas, he's talking about the tour companies that arrange for everything
>and carry all your gear in a support vehicle. And yes, it is their principal source of income
>because they chose to make it their job.

It's the principal source of income for the company that appears to have organised the trip - KE
Adventure, based in the town where I live right here in the UK. Don't delude yourself, Fish - that
cash isn't going to help poor starving Tibetans, it's going to subsidise a very nice lifestyle for
the guys who run the company here.

If Martin had a nice holiday, great - but there are plenty of people, like the Dutch guy mentioned
further down the thread, doing far more epic trips than this without any help. And all the money
they spend goes directly into the pockets of local people along the way.

Having said that, I had a kind of epiphany in Laos this winter. I'd been feeling uneasy about the
effects of tourism that I was seeing as I cycled through SE Asia. After riding through NE Laos
(pretty remote area) I touched down in backpacker land again at a village called Nong Khiaw. Nice
little cluster of guest houses at the upstream end of town, all their toilets emptying straight into
the river....150 yards upstream of where the local villagers (the ones who haven't cashed in on the
tourist trade) are busy washing their clothes. And themselves. Too bad for them, eh? What struck me
was the fact that none of the tourists even seemed to be aware of what they were contributing to.

I've always known intellectually that tourism causes problems e.g. deforestation in Nepal to provide
trekkers with hot showers and pizzas. Living in the Lake District I can see how it's deteriorating
year after year. However, as a country we're rich enough to do something about it. The developing
world isn't, and I can no longer stomach what uncontrolled (and unsustainable) tourist development
is doing to these places.

As a solo cyclist I've always consoled myself with the idea that it's probably the most impact free
form of tourism going, but that's mere sophistry. It's the reason I finished the trip early, and the
reason I've decided I won't be going to any more countries that can't sustain my presence.

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

> When I was in Thailand in December, we rode with a Dutchman for several days. He had ridden from
> Holland to Thailand and was on his way to Darwin, Australia. His tour took him through Armenia,
> Kazakhstan, Bangladesh,
China,
> etc. He entered Tibet via China, road to Everest base camp then continued
on
> to Katmandu all on his own.

We would like to do it, preferably starting in Chengdu or Zongdian, but the situation just seems too
unpredictable. No any fun to have to turn back because of the Chinese. Were in Tibet years ago and
we left because it felt comparable to touristing in Norway or France 1943.
http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/fu99/Trekking/Hiddenvalley/Hiddentrek1.html Would not like to go with
support trucks, cooks and field toilet. On the other hand since we were in Ladakh, burned up rear
rim on Khardong La (5600+), and could buy a new rear wheel from a Swiss group with a support bus etc
that had just finished their ride up from Manali we are glad that they are around. In fact they
saved our trip. So we appreciate the group tours.

Per

> After riding through NE Laos (pretty remote area) I touched down in backpacker land again at a
> village called Nong Khiaw. Nice little cluster of guest houses at the upstream end of town, all
> their toilets emptying straight into the river....150 yards upstream of where the local villagers
> (the ones who haven't cashed in on the tourist trade) are busy washing their clothes. And
> themselves. Too bad for them, eh? What struck me was the fact that none of the tourists even
> seemed to be aware of what they were contributing to.

- Hm aware of the fact that Nong Khiaw is a backpacer ghetto we skipped it all together.

> As a solo cyclist I've always consoled myself with the idea that it's probably the most impact
> free form of tourism going, but that's mere sophistry. It's the reason I finished the trip early,
> and the reason I've decided I won't be going to any more countries that can't sustain my presence.

So, did you make to China via Camodia and Viet Nam and then back to Lao? Or? Looking forward to see
a report on your site.

We are undecided about where to cycle this year. Got som inspiration from your site. Consider
Colorado. It will be just as exotic as Lao for us and have some really fine singletrack. But as yet
we are completely undecided.

Per

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 22:03:12 GMT, "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> blathered:

>aware of the fact that Nong Khiaw is a backpacer ghetto we skipped it

I didn't have much choice, I came in from the NE.

>did you make to China via Camodia and Viet Nam and then back to Lao?

Got to Hanoi and was just getting ****** off with the whole thing. I flew back to Vientiane to spend
New Year with friends who live there, then did a loop up through the NE while waiting for a
rescheduled flight home.

Colorado is well worth a visit on a bike. I'm off round Norway & Iceland this spring/summer, towing
a bunch of climbing kit behind me on a trailer.

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/