Mountain biking on sand dunes?

Brad Hubbard

Guest
Anyone seen any info on setting up a mountain bike to ride on soft sand?

I'm on the doorstep of the largest sand island in the world and am
interested in the prospect of exploring it by bike.

Cheers,
Brad

Brad Hubbard said:
Anyone seen any info on setting up a mountain bike to ride on soft sand?

I'm on the doorstep of the largest sand island in the world and am
interested in the prospect of exploring it by bike.

Cheers,
Brad

You want the fattest tyres you can fit on the rim and frame and run them at a low-ish pressure. Your drivetrain will get covered in sand, which will trash it in no time flat - take cleaning and lubing equipment and use it regularly.

If the sand is really, really soft, you'll have to walk, but most of the time you should be fine to spin along in a very low gear.

Lucky you!

Ritch

Brad Hubbard wrote:
> Anyone seen any info on setting up a mountain bike to ride on soft sand?
>
> I'm on the doorstep of the largest sand island in the world and am
> interested in the prospect of exploring it by bike.
>
> Cheers,
> Brad

Reduced air pressure goes a very long way in the sand, even if you're
using standard fat tires instead of the gigantic snow-types. Experiment
a little and go as low as you can without getting pinch flats.

Brad Hubbard wrote:

> Anyone seen any info on setting up a mountain bike to ride on soft sand?
>
> I'm on the doorstep of the largest sand island in the world and am
> interested in the prospect of exploring it by bike.

If this is Frazer Island, you'll make fantastic progress on the ocean
beach at low tide, provided you don't mind the saltwater and the 4WD
highway. But anywhere else will be **** as the 4WDs really churn it up.