Mountain biking on sand dunes?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Brad Hubbard, Oct 28, 2004.

  1. Brad Hubbard

    Brad Hubbard Guest

    Anyone seen any info on setting up a mountain bike to ride on soft sand?

    I'm on the doorstep of the largest sand island in the world and am
    interested in the prospect of exploring it by bike.

    Cheers,
    Brad

    Tags:

  2. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    You want the fattest tyres you can fit on the rim and frame and run them at a low-ish pressure. Your drivetrain will get covered in sand, which will trash it in no time flat - take cleaning and lubing equipment and use it regularly.

    If the sand is really, really soft, you'll have to walk, but most of the time you should be fine to spin along in a very low gear.

    Lucky you!

    Ritch

  3. hippy

    hippy Guest

  4. Marty

    Marty Guest

  5. Brad Hubbard <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Anyone seen any info on setting up a mountain bike to ride on soft sand?
    >
    > I'm on the doorstep of the largest sand island in the world and am
    > interested in the prospect of exploring it by bike.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Brad

    Don't take a trailer:
    http://homepage.mac.com/sillycyclist/PhotoAlbum1.html

    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  6. Collin

    Collin Guest

    Brad Hubbard wrote:
    > Anyone seen any info on setting up a mountain bike to ride on soft sand?
    >
    > I'm on the doorstep of the largest sand island in the world and am
    > interested in the prospect of exploring it by bike.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Brad

    Reduced air pressure goes a very long way in the sand, even if you're
    using standard fat tires instead of the gigantic snow-types. Experiment
    a little and go as low as you can without getting pinch flats.

  7. Brad Hubbard wrote:

    > Anyone seen any info on setting up a mountain bike to ride on soft sand?
    >
    > I'm on the doorstep of the largest sand island in the world and am
    > interested in the prospect of exploring it by bike.

    If this is Frazer Island, you'll make fantastic progress on the ocean
    beach at low tide, provided you don't mind the saltwater and the 4WD
    highway. But anywhere else will be shit as the 4WDs really churn it up.