Mountain Biking Takes Another Victim

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mike Vandeman, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. FEB 23, 2004 RJC teacher killed on eve of adventure race

    By Goh Chin Lian

    A RAFFLES Junior College teacher, who was preparing for an adventure race, died in Malaysia on
    Saturday when he was flung off his mountain bike.

    Mr Ho Swee Haw, 34, was cycling downhill over a bridge when he saw a 1.5m-deep hole and
    braked suddenly.

    He landed in a ditch and was barely conscious, one of his two female team-mates for the race told
    The Straits Times late last night. She declined to be identified.

    He was riding ahead of them as they went to a site to test their skills in white-water rafting, when
    the tragedy happened in the early afternoon of the eve of the race in Perak.

    Mr Ho suffered head and chest injuries. He died at Tapah Hospital at 4.15pm. His father and sister
    have left for Malaysia.

    Meanwhile, fellow cyclists here were struggling to absorb the news yesterday, as they mourned the
    loss of a 'very dedicated racer' and 'a strong rider'.

    Said Mr Max Mager, general manager of the Singapore Amateur Cycling Association: 'He's outgoing and
    adventurous and was one of our top mountain bikers.'

    Mr Ho taught mathematics at the junior college and was the teacher in charge of its cross-
    country runners.

    During his national service, he was a physical training instructor.

    He has been a familiar face at cross-country races for several years.

    The bachelor also helped his family to run Cycle Craft, a bicycle shop at East Coast Road which is a
    key supporter of the association's mountain biking races.

    On Sundays, he would often be on his red Scott mountain bike, cycling on a trail in Bukit
    Timah Hill.

    In fact, his last race was on Feb 15, when he came in third in a race for male cyclists organised by
    the association.

    Last night, his two team-mates returned to Singapore, driving his car.

    Said one of them: 'I'd known him for three years and we'd raced together twice. This would have been
    our third race.

    'He was a wonderful team-mate, always ready to help.'

    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    Tags:

  2. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    Not to be outdone, those "extreme" hikers are also likely to fall victim to the unforseen.........

    *** Hiker Killed by a Falling Tree ***

    SEATTLE, October 27 1999: A hiker was killed by a falling tree near North Bend Wednesday morning as
    high winds blew through eastern King and Pierce counties. The woman visiting from Maryland was
    killed by a falling tree on the popular Rattlesnake Ledge trail in North Bend.

    KING COUNTY sheriff's spokesman John Urquhart said the fatality happened on the popular Rattlesnake
    Ledge trail next to Rattlesnake Lake. Deputies were investigating.

    Marian G. Vincent, a 62-year-old woman from Silver Spring, Maryland, was hiking with her sister when
    she was struck by a falling 56-foot tree.

    Her sister ran for help. Rescue crews were at the accident scene in just 11 minutes, but the woman
    was dead by the time they reached her.

    The two women had only just started the hike when the trees started cracking. They decided to turn
    around for safety when the tree came down, hitting the victim on the head.

    She was visiting her sister who lives in North Bend.

    Another falling tree hit a Washington State Patrol car at North Bend. The trooper suffered
    minor cuts. Winds in the Cascade foothills this morning gusted to 55 mph, the National Weather
    Service reported.

    Michael

  3. Oh well.

    When we decide to roll out of bed in the morning, we can fall and strike our head on the night
    stand, and die from the injuries received. Would you suggest that we just stay in bed?

    At least this guy died doing what he loved, instead of hitting his head on the night stand.

  4. rhopkins

    rhopkins Guest

    You have a point?

  5. On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:09:29 +0000, Michael Paul wrote:

    > Not to be outdone, those "extreme" hikers are also likely to fall victim to the unforseen.........

    And for the truly bizzare, didn't Atkins die from slipping on a sidewalk? Yeesh, I think I'll cut my
    feet off....

    --Kamus

  6. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You have a point?

    well of course he doesn't have a point. he never has a point. having a point would actually mean
    something.

    Michael

  7. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    "Kamus of Kadizhar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:09:29 +0000, Michael Paul wrote:
    >
    > > Not to be outdone, those "extreme" hikers are also likely to fall victim
    > > the unforseen.........
    > >

    > And for the truly bizzare, didn't Atkins die from slipping on a sidewalk? Yeesh, I think I'll cut
    > my feet off....
    >

    > --Kamus

    for odds on the bizarre, check out the full story here: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/20040222-9999-
    mz1c22odds.html

    but excerpts:

    Chances of dying from a mountain lion attack in California 1 in 32 million Chance of dying from
    contact with hot tap water 1 in 5,005,564 Chance of dying from a car accident: 1 in 18,585 Chance of
    dying in an airplane accident: 1 in 354,319 Chance of dying from parts falling off an airplane: 1 in
    10,000,000

    Odds of dying from shaving 6,585 to 1 Odds of getting hemorrhoids: 25 to 1 Odds of being on plane
    with a drunken pilot: 117 to 1 (Am I the only one distrubed by this one?) Odds of writing a New York
    Times best seller: 220 to 1 Odds of catching a ball at a major league ballgame: 563 to 1 Odds of
    becoming president: 10 million to 1

    and the grandaddy of them all.............Odds of a meteor landing on your house
    182,138,880,000,000 to 1

    Michael

  8. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    In news:[email protected],
    Michael Paul <[email protected]> typed:
    > "Kamus of Kadizhar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    >> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:09:29 +0000, Michael Paul wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not to be outdone, those "extreme" hikers are also likely to fall victim to the
    >>> unforseen.........
    >>>

    >> And for the truly bizzare, didn't Atkins die from slipping on a sidewalk? Yeesh, I think I'll cut
    >> my feet off....
    >>

    >> --Kamus
    >
    > for odds on the bizarre, check out the full story here: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/20040222-9999-
    > mz1c22odds.html
    >
    > but excerpts:
    >
    > Chances of dying from a mountain lion attack in California 1 in 32 million Chance of dying from
    > contact with hot tap water 1 in 5,005,564 Chance of dying from a car accident: 1 in 18,585 Chance
    > of dying in an airplane accident: 1 in 354,319 Chance of dying from parts falling off an airplane:
    > 1 in 10,000,000
    >
    > Odds of dying from shaving 6,585 to 1 Odds of getting hemorrhoids: 25 to 1 Odds of being on plane
    > with a drunken pilot: 117 to 1 (Am I the only one distrubed by this one?) Odds of writing a New
    > York Times best seller: 220 to 1 Odds of catching a ball at a major league ballgame: 563 to 1 Odds
    > of becoming president: 10 million to 1
    >
    > and the grandaddy of them all.............Odds of a meteor landing on your house
    > 182,138,880,000,000 to 1
    >
    > Michael

    Damn...life is still 100% fatal.

    Mike

  9. "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In news:[email protected], Michael Paul <[email protected]> typed:
    > > "Kamus of Kadizhar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:p[email protected]...

    > >> And for the truly bizzare, didn't Atkins die from slipping on a sidewalk? Yeesh, I think I'll
    > >> cut my feet off....
    > >>

    > >> --Kamus
    > >
    > > for odds on the bizarre, check out the full story here:

    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/20040222-9999-mz1c22odds.html

    > > but excerpts:
    > >
    > > Chances of dying from a mountain lion attack in California 1 in 32 million Chance of dying from
    > > contact with hot tap water 1 in 5,005,564 Chance of dying from a car accident: 1 in 18,585
    > > Chance of dying in an airplane accident: 1 in 354,319 Chance of dying from parts falling off an
    > > airplane: 1 in 10,000,000
    > >
    > > Odds of dying from shaving 6,585 to 1 Odds of getting hemorrhoids: 25 to 1 Odds of being on
    > > plane with a drunken pilot: 117 to 1 (Am I the only one distrubed by this one?) Odds of writing
    > > a New York Times best seller: 220 to 1 Odds of catching a ball at a major league ballgame: 563
    > > to 1 Odds of becoming president: 10 million to 1
    > >
    > > and the grandaddy of them all.............Odds of a meteor landing on your house
    > > 182,138,880,000,000 to 1
    > >
    > > Michael
    >
    > Damn...life is still 100% fatal.

    Not true. Is everybody that ever lived dead? Are you dead?

    Steve.

  10. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In news:[email protected], Michael Paul <[email protected]> typed:
    > > > "Kamus of Kadizhar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:p[email protected]...

    > > > for odds on the bizarre, check out the full story here:
    > > >
    > http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/20040222-9999-mz1c22odds.html
    > > >
    > > > but excerpts:
    > > >
    > > > Chances of dying from a mountain lion attack in California 1 in 32 million Chance of dying
    > > > from contact with hot tap water 1 in 5,005,564 Chance of dying from a car accident: 1 in
    > > > 18,585 Chance of dying in an airplane accident: 1 in 354,319 Chance of dying from parts
    > > > falling off an airplane: 1 in 10,000,000
    > > >
    > > > Odds of dying from shaving 6,585 to 1 Odds of getting hemorrhoids: 25 to 1 Odds of being on
    > > > plane with a drunken pilot: 117 to 1 (Am I the only one distrubed by this one?) Odds of
    > > > writing a New York Times best seller: 220 to 1 Odds of catching a ball at a major league
    > > > ballgame: 563 to 1 Odds of becoming president: 10 million to 1
    > > >
    > > > and the grandaddy of them all.............Odds of a meteor landing on your house
    > > > 182,138,880,000,000 to 1
    > > >
    > > > Michael
    > >
    > > Damn...life is still 100% fatal.
    > >

    > Not true. Is everybody that ever lived dead? Are you dead?

    Not yet!

    Dave

  11. On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:09:29 GMT, "Michael Paul" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    .Not to be outdone, those "extreme" hikers are also likely to fall victim to .the unforseen.........

    This is MUCH less likely than mountain biker deaths, as you well know.

  12. On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:13:52 -0800, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote:

    .Oh well. . .When we decide to roll out of bed in the morning, we can fall and strike our .head on
    the night stand, and die from the injuries received. Would you .suggest that we just stay in bed? .
    .At least this guy died doing what he loved, instead of hitting his head on .the night stand.

    P.S. I actually care MORE about mountain bikers as humans than you do, since I oppose the sport that
    killed him, whereas YOU SUPPORT it! Hypocrite!
    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  13. On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:14:16 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    .You have a point?

    You are smart enough to know, but not honest enough to say what it is.

    P.S. I actually care MORE about mountain bikers as humans than you do, since I oppose the sport that
    killed him, whereas YOU SUPPORT it! Hypocrite!
    ===

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  14. "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:13:52 -0800, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > .Oh well. . .When we decide to roll out of bed in the morning, we can fall and strike
    our
    > .head on the night stand, and die from the injuries received. Would you .suggest that we just stay
    > in bed? . .At least this guy died doing what he loved, instead of hitting his head
    on
    > .the night stand.
    >
    > P.S. I actually care MORE about mountain bikers as humans than you do,
    since I
    > oppose the sport that killed him, whereas YOU SUPPORT it! Hypocrite!

    Hypocrite? Me?

    With friends like you, who needs enemies?

    Talk about hypocrites!

    You would put all mountain bikes into the shredding machines and use them to make gates and fences
    around public lands, and call this act, "protecting mountain bikers." Nobody needs the protection
    you offer. Hypocrite.

  15. Bkr

    Bkr Guest

    Mike Vandeman wrote:

    > P.S. I actually care MORE about mountain bikers as humans than you
    do, since I
    > oppose the sport that killed him, whereas YOU SUPPORT it! Hypocrite!
    > ===

    Well, it seems to me, that if you cared more about them, you would advocate trails designated for
    bikes only or the use of helmets, not the complete abolition of the sport. But perhaps that's just
    my opinion, as a hiker and a biker. By the way, having an opinion contrary to yours doesn't make the
    last poster a hypocrit. And what's with all the cross posting?

    bkr

  16. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:13:52 -0800, "Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > .Oh well. . .When we decide to roll out of bed in the morning, we can fall and strike
    our
    > .head on the night stand, and die from the injuries received. Would you .suggest that we just stay
    > in bed? . .At least this guy died doing what he loved, instead of hitting his head
    on
    > .the night stand.
    >
    > P.S. I actually care MORE about mountain bikers as humans than you do,
    since I
    > oppose the sport that killed him, whereas YOU SUPPORT it! Hypocrite!
    > ===
    > I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
    > help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
    >
    > http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    Hey dumass, see above post about hiker killed by falling tree.

    for your own safety, stay off the trails!

    Michael

  17. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:09:29 GMT, "Michael Paul"
    <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > .Not to be outdone, those "extreme" hikers are also likely to fall victim
    > .the unforseen.........
    >
    > This is MUCH less likely than mountain biker deaths, as you well know.

    Ohhhhhhh., I get it.

    Now we're changing the story since you got caught.

    all right then. dying while hiking is less likely than dying while Mountain Biking so therefore
    it's okay.

    Using that same logic, and you can't call me a liar because even your PhD has to agree with this
    logic here.

    Dying while Mountain biking is less likely than dying while driving a vehicle So, therefore Mountain
    biking is not as dangerous and therefore an acceptable practice.

    Or, since you're a mathematical genius or something. if A is less than B and A is okay based only on
    this fact. And, B is less than C. Then, B must also be acceptable since C is clearly more dangerous
    than either A or B

    Own up to it Mikey. You jsut got caught and you own logic has been used to defend mountain biking.

    Idiot

    of course, you'll come back and change your own rules just like a 6 year old playing Chutes and
    Ladders since you so blatantly lost this argument and since you're so obviuosly mentally superior to
    a stupid mountain biker then obviosuly that stupid mountain biker could only have bested you by
    cheating and/or lying.

    Michael

  18. "Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:bLt%[email protected]...

    > "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:09:29 GMT, "Michael Paul"
    > <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > .Not to be outdone, those "extreme" hikers are also likely to fall
    victim
    > > .the unforseen.........
    > >
    > > This is MUCH less likely than mountain biker deaths, as you well know.
    > >

    > Ohhhhhhh., I get it.
    >
    > Now we're changing the story since you got caught.
    >
    > all right then. dying while hiking is less likely than dying while
    Mountain
    > Biking so therefore it's okay.
    >
    > Using that same logic, and you can't call me a liar because even your PhD has to agree with this
    > logic here.
    >
    > Dying while Mountain biking is less likely than dying while driving a vehicle So, therefore
    > Mountain biking is not as dangerous and therefore
    an
    > acceptable practice.
    >
    > Or, since you're a mathematical genius or something. if A is less than B and A is okay based only
    > on this fact. And, B is less than C. Then, B must also be acceptable since C is clearly more
    > dangerous than either A or
    >
    > Own up to it Mikey. You jsut got caught and you own logic has been used
    > defend mountain biking.
    >
    > Idiot
    >
    > of course, you'll come back and change your own rules just like a 6 year
    old
    > playing Chutes and Ladders since you so blatantly lost this argument and since you're so obviuosly
    > mentally superior to a stupid mountain biker
    then
    > obviosuly that stupid mountain biker could only have bested you by
    cheating
    > and/or lying.
    >
    > Michael

    LIAR! Duh!

    ;-)

    Can I have my PhD now?

  19. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    > > > Odds of dying from shaving 6,585 to 1

    It's sobering to think that if you shave once a day for 18 years it will kill you.

    Andy Chequer alrighty

  20. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Andy Chequer wrote:

    > It's sobering to think that if you shave once a day for 18 years it will kill you.

    That's why I grow beards from time to time.

    Bill "cheating the devil" S.