Mountain Biking Takes Another Victim

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:29:28 -0500, bkr <[email protected]> wrote:

.Mike Vandeman wrote: .
. > P.S. I actually care MORE about mountain bikers as humans than you .do, since I .> oppose the
sport that killed him, whereas YOU SUPPORT it! Hypocrite! .> === . .Well, it seems to me, that if
you cared more about them, you would .advocate trails designated for bikes only or the use of
helmets, not the .complete abolition of the sport.

That's not enough to prevent injury & death.

But perhaps that's just my opinion, as .a hiker and a biker. By the way, having an
opinion contrary to yours .doesn't make the last poster a hypocrit. And what's with all
the cross .posting?

I post wherever relevant. That's what crossposting is for! So that the right people read it.

.bkr

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:52:38 GMT, "Michael Paul" <[email protected]>
wrote:

. ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:13:52 -0800, "Jeff
Strickland" <[email protected]> .wrote: .> .> .Oh well. .> . .> .When we decide to roll out of bed
in the morning, we can fall and strike .our .> .head on the night stand, and die from the injuries
received. Would you .> .suggest that we just stay in bed? .> . .> .At least this guy died doing what
he loved, instead of hitting his head .on .> .the night stand. .> .> P.S. I actually care MORE about
mountain bikers as humans than you do, .since I .> oppose the sport that killed him, whereas YOU
SUPPORT it! Hypocrite! .> === .> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to .>
humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8 .> years fighting auto dependence and
road construction.) .> .> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande . .Hey dumass, see above post about hiker
killed by falling tree. . .for your own safety, stay off the trails!

I've been hiking for 57 years, without seeing a single tree fall. On the other hand, mountain bikers
crash all the time! In fact, blood is a badge of honor among them (that's called "making the best of
adversity" :) ).

.Michael .

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:42:31 GMT, "Michael Paul" <[email protected]>
wrote:

. ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:09:29 GMT, "Michael
Paul" .<[email protected]> .> wrote: .> .> .Not to be outdone, those "extreme" hikers are
also likely to fall victim .to .> .the unforseen......... .> .> This is MUCH less likely than
mountain biker deaths, as you well know. .> . .Ohhhhhhh., I get it. . .Now we're changing the story
since you got caught.

Nothing has changed. Mountain biking has ALWAYS been much more dangerous than hiking. I've been
hiking continually for 57 years, without a single injury.

.all right then. dying while hiking is less likely than dying while Mountain .Biking so therefore
it's okay.

Of course.

.Using that same logic, and you can't call me a liar because even your PhD .has to agree with this
logic here. . .Dying while Mountain biking is less likely than dying while driving a .vehicle So,
therefore Mountain biking is not as dangerous and therefore an .acceptable practice.

That doesn't follow. In fact, mountain biking is far MORE dangerous than driving. That is obvious.

.Or, since you're a mathematical genius or something. if A is less than B .and A is okay based only
on this fact. And, B is less than C. Then, B .must also be acceptable since C is clearly more
dangerous than either A or B . .Own up to it Mikey. You jsut got caught and you own logic has been
used to .defend mountain biking.

BS.

.Idiot . .of course, you'll come back and change your own rules just like a 6 year old .playing
Chutes and Ladders since you so blatantly lost this argument and .since you're so obviuosly mentally
superior to a stupid mountain biker then .obviosuly that stupid mountain biker could only have
bested you by cheating .and/or lying. . .Michael . .

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:42:31 GMT, "Michael Paul"
<[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> . ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> .news:[email protected]... .> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:09:29 GMT, "Michael
> Paul" .<[email protected]> .Now we're changing the story since you got caught.
>
> Nothing has changed. Mountain biking has ALWAYS been much more dangerous
than
> hiking. I've been hiking continually for 57 years, without a single
injury.

boy, for a person with a PhD, you're not so smart.

I didn't say biking was less dangerous than hiking. What I did was very clearly show you how using
the very logic that you used to justify hiking over mountain biking, that mountain biking is less
dangerous than driving and therefore is okay to do. Your own logic stated only that hiking was okay
since it was less dangerous than mountain biking. I merely demonstrated that mountain biking is less
dangerous than driving and therefore was also an acceptable activity using the logic you presented.

> .all right then. dying while hiking is less likely than dying while
Mountain
> .Biking so therefore it's okay.

> That doesn't follow. In fact, mountain biking is far MORE dangerous than driving. That is obvious.

ummmmm, excuse me? nobody ever gets injured or hurt while driving? hmmmmmmm, let's see. statistics
would demonstrate that the statement by the esteemed Dr. is wrong. In fact, just for the state of
Idaho (remember, there are 50 total and Idaho is by far the most highly populated) there were 26,241
traffic accidents in 2000 alone. approximatley 24,000 in each of the previous three years.

of those, approximatley 37,000 or 37% resulted in an injury of some kind to at least one individual.
me thinks that those 37,000 people would think that driving may perhaps be kinda dangerous.

proving you wrong in this case is just too easy so I'm not even going to bother looking up national
statistics. I know you won't bother becuase you are so utterly wrong in this case that even your
demented self can realize this.

but, Idaho statistics can be found here for your reading
pleasure.......http://www2.state.id.us/itd/highways/ohs/2000data/Analysis200 .pdf Therefore, it is
in fact NOT OBVIOUS and you have just LIED

and I've been cycling for the better part of 20 years and have never suffered a serious injury
either. In fact, most people I know who have been injured while in a bike were injured when a car
hit them on the road.

idiot.

accept the facts Mikey. You really, really lost this one and the only way you can salvage it is by
taking your usual action when you've lost. stop responding since you've been beaten. And by somebody
with only a Master's degree at that!

Michael

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:42:31 GMT, "Michael Paul"
<[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> . ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> .news:[email protected]... .> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:09:29 GMT, "Michael
> Paul" .<[email protected]> .> wrote: .> .> .Not to be outdone, those "extreme" hikers are
> also likely to fall
victim
> .to .> .the unforseen......... .> .> This is MUCH less likely than mountain biker deaths, as you
> well know. .> . .Ohhhhhhh., I get it. . .Now we're changing the story since you got caught.
>
> Nothing has changed. Mountain biking has ALWAYS been much more dangerous
than
> hiking. I've been hiking continually for 57 years, without a single
injury.

Mike! You've been damaging the environment for 57 years straight? Thats worse than me! Must be hard
to be continually walking for 57 years though. As for your injuries, where do you walk? On a nice
graveled walkway through your local botantical gardens? Thats not very environmental of you! Or do
you just bush bash? That'll likely kill off a few more saplings.

> .all right then. dying while hiking is less likely than dying while
Mountain
> .Biking so therefore it's okay.
>
> Of course.
>
> .Using that same logic, and you can't call me a liar because even your PhD .has to agree with this
> logic here. . .Dying while Mountain biking is less likely than dying while driving a .vehicle So,
> therefore Mountain biking is not as dangerous and therefore
an
> .acceptable practice.
>
> That doesn't follow. In fact, mountain biking is far MORE dangerous than driving. That is obvious.

Mike, that is **** and you know it! Driving a car is soooo much more dangerous! And THAT is
obvious... oh hang on, no don't go there Mike, you've been doing so well with me, don't say the
'L' word!!

> .Or, since you're a mathematical genius or something. if A is less than
> .and A is okay based only on this fact. And, B is less than C. Then, B .must also be acceptable
> since C is clearly more dangerous than either A
or B
> . .Own up to it Mikey. You jsut got caught and you own logic has been used
> .defend mountain biking.
>
> BS.
>
> .Idiot . .of course, you'll come back and change your own rules just like a 6 year
old
> .playing Chutes and Ladders since you so blatantly lost this argument and .since you're so
> obviuosly mentally superior to a stupid mountain biker
then
> .obviosuly that stupid mountain biker could only have bested you by
cheating
> .and/or lying. . .Michael . .
>
> ===
> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to humans ("pure habitat"). Want to
> help? (I spent the previous 8 years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

"Andy Chequer" <andy@(youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in
news:HDv%[email protected]:

> It's sobering to think that if you shave once a day for 18 years it will kill you.
>
> Andy Chequer alrighty

Just injure you actually. That one surprised me so much I looked it up in the article and it's not a
death sentance.

--
- Joel C.

Mike Vandeman wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:29:28 -0500, bkr <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> .Mike Vandeman wrote: .
> . > P.S. I actually care MORE about mountain bikers as humans than you .do, since I .> oppose the
> sport that killed him, whereas YOU SUPPORT it! Hypocrite! .> === . .Well, it seems to me, that
> if you cared more about them, you would .advocate trails designated for bikes only or the use
> of helmets, not the .complete abolition of the sport.
>
> That's not enough to prevent injury & death.

Mike, if your are so dedicated to the banning of MTB on the grounds of preventing injury and death
of your fellow man (and woman), how come this is the only activity you are trying to ban? Smoking
kills more people than biking does. Alcohol kills more people than biking does. Drunk driving kills
more third persons than biking does. Even secondary smoking does more harm to bystanders than biking
does. Not to mention the the effects of liberal gun laws (I know, I know, guns don't kill people,
morons with guns kill people, but I do believe the guns help).

If you are so interested in saving lives, Why not go after any of the other risks meantioned above?

Oh, and by the way, I'd say that biking actually saves lives, as you cannot combine smoking with an
even half decent performance as a biker. Risk of cancer greatly reduced, risk of fatal accident
slightly increased, thus a positive total effect. (and then there is the effect of cardio-vascular
exercise, bone density increase, etc)

regards /h

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 03:18:56 +0000, Mike Vandeman wrote:

> Nothing has changed. Mountain biking has ALWAYS been much more dangerous than hiking. I've been
> hiking continually for 57 years, without a single injury.

Under what conditions? Perhaps endurance hikes or speed events comparable to bike racing? Or more of
the stroll in the woods, comparable to the beach cruiser ride on the beach?

Heck, I've been blown off a mountain, slid down a glacier, and fallen off of rock cliffs. All while
'hiking'. I've never been put in that kind of danger on a mountain bike.

So, tell us about your endurance hikes that are comparable to mountian bike racing, where you put
everything on the line.

> That doesn't follow. In fact, mountain biking is far MORE dangerous than driving. That is obvious.

Show me your statistics. I've wrecked 3 times on a road bike bad enough to lose work days. I've
never lost a work day due to mountain biking. I've been hit and had 2 car accidents; I've never had
a mountain bike accident that resulted in injury. Therefore I am living proof that road riding
(which you advocate) and driving are more dangerous than mountain biking. (Well, not really, unless
you allow me to make up my own rules of statistics.... Much as you do.)

> .Own up to it Mikey. You jsut got caught and you own logic has been used to .defend
> mountain biking.
>
> BS.

Ooooh. Another cutting edge answer.....

--Kamus

--
o__ | If you're old, eat right and ride a decent bike. ,>/'_ | Q. (_)\(_) | Usenet posting`

"Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Not to be outdone, those "extreme" hikers are also likely to fall victim to the unforseen.........
>
> *** Hiker Killed by a Falling Tree ***
>
> SEATTLE, October 27 1999: A hiker was killed by a falling tree near North Bend Wednesday morning
> as high winds blew through eastern King and Pierce counties. The woman visiting from Maryland was
> killed by a falling tree on the popular Rattlesnake Ledge trail in North Bend.
>
> KING COUNTY sheriff's spokesman John Urquhart said the fatality happened on the popular
> Rattlesnake Ledge trail next to Rattlesnake Lake. Deputies were investigating.

You're all missing a serious point here, and thats that because mountain biking is so much more
dangerous than hiking, you are likely to do it for a much shorter time. Therefore the accumulated
lifetime trail damage for a hiker is obviously going to be much more blah blah

cheers

On 28 Feb 2004 05:30:23 -0800, [email protected] (gazzer) wrote:

."Michael Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... .> Not to be outdone, those "extreme" hikers are
also likely to fall victim to .> the unforseen......... .> .> *** Hiker Killed by a Falling Tree ***
.> .> SEATTLE, October 27 1999: A hiker was killed by a falling tree near .> North Bend Wednesday
morning as high winds blew through eastern King and .> Pierce counties. The woman visiting from
Maryland was killed by a falling .> tree on the popular Rattlesnake Ledge trail in North Bend. .> .>
KING COUNTY sheriff's spokesman John Urquhart said the fatality .> happened on the popular
Rattlesnake Ledge trail next to Rattlesnake Lake. .> Deputies were investigating. .> . .You're all
missing a serious point here, and thats that because .mountain biking is so much more dangerous than
hiking, you are likely .to do it for a much shorter time. Therefore the accumulated lifetime .trail
damage for a hiker is obviously going to be much more blah blah

And after you are too old to mountain bike, you switch to hiking, so end up doing more harm than non-
mountai bikers.

.cheers . .G

===

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:35:02 GMT, hall <[email protected]> wrote:

.Mike Vandeman wrote: . .> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:29:28 -0500, bkr <[email protected]> wrote:
.> .> .Mike Vandeman wrote: .> . .> . > P.S. I actually care MORE about mountain bikers as humans
than you .> .do, since I .> .> oppose the sport that killed him, whereas YOU SUPPORT it! Hypocrite!
.> .> === .> . .> .Well, it seems to me, that if you cared more about them, you would .> .advocate
trails designated for bikes only or the use of helmets, not the .> .complete abolition of the sport.
.> .> That's not enough to prevent injury & death. .> . .Mike, if your are so dedicated to the
banning of MTB on the grounds of .preventing injury and death of your fellow man (and woman), how
come .this is the only activity you are trying to ban?

It isn't, liar. One minute looking at my web site would tell you that. I am especially opposed to
auto use and road construction.

Smoking kills more .people than biking does. Alcohol kills more people than biking does.

I oppose both of those, but I focus on other things because those ones are obvious, and plenty of
people are already working on those.

.Drunk driving kills more third persons than biking does. Even secondary .smoking does more harm to
bystanders than biking does. Not to mention .the the effects of liberal gun laws (I know, I know,
guns don't kill .people, morons with guns kill people, but I do believe the guns help). . .If you
are so interested in saving lives, Why not go after any of the .other risks meantioned above?

That's easy: I DO. Your effort to distract people from the harm that mountain biking does is
duly noted.

.Oh, and by the way, I'd say that biking actually saves lives, as you .cannot combine smoking with
an even half decent performance as a biker.

Street biking is enough to do that. This is not a reason for allowing bikes off of pavement.

.Risk of cancer greatly reduced, risk of fatal accident slightly .increased, thus a positive total
effect. (and then there is the effect .of cardio-vascular exercise, bone density increase, etc)

Good. Now stay on pavement.

.regards ./h

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:16:51 -0500, Kamus of Kadizhar <[email protected]>
wrote:

.On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 03:18:56 +0000, Mike Vandeman wrote: . .> .> Nothing has changed. Mountain
biking has ALWAYS been much more dangerous than .> hiking. I've been hiking continually for 57
years, without a single injury. . .Under what conditions? Perhaps endurance hikes or speed events
comparable .to bike racing? Or more of the stroll in the woods, comparable to the .beach cruiser
ride on the beach? . .Heck, I've been blown off a mountain, slid down a glacier, and fallen off .of
rock cliffs. All while 'hiking'. I've never been put in that kind of .danger on a mountain bike.

You just endanger wildlife and other people.

.So, tell us about your endurance hikes that are comparable to mountian .bike racing, where you put
everything on the line. . .> That doesn't follow. In fact, mountain biking is far MORE dangerous
than .> driving. That is obvious. . .Show me your statistics. I've wrecked 3 times on a road bike
bad enough .to lose work days. I've never lost a work day due to mountain biking.

So you admit that you've had accidents! Just not bad enough to miss work. That proves that it is
more dangerous than hiking. I have had NO accidents hiking.

.I've been hit and had 2 car accidents; I've never had a mountain bike .accident that resulted
in injury.

So you admit that you've had mountain bike accidents. Thanks for proving my point.

Therefore I am living proof that road .riding (which you advocate) and driving are more dangerous
than mountain .biking. (Well, not really, unless you allow me to make up my own rules of
.statistics....

BS. One person can't prove something like that. It only proves that something is POSSIBLE.

Much as you do.) . .> .Own up to it Mikey. You jsut got caught and you own logic has been used to
.> .defend mountain biking. .> .> BS. . .Ooooh. Another cutting edge answer.....

And TRUE.

.--Kamus

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:16:51 -0500, Kamus of Kadizhar
<[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> So you admit that you've had accidents! Just not bad enough to miss work.
That
> proves that it is more dangerous than hiking. I have had NO accidents
hiking.

So obviously since you've never injured yourself hiking (now think way back to those classes you had
for that PhD about statistical sampling and population sizes) then that OBVIOUSLY means that from a
statistics standpoint you and only you are a valid sample. Sheesh. what a quack!

> .I've been hit and had 2 car accidents; I've never had a mountain bike .accident that resulted
> in injury.
>
> So you admit that you've had mountain bike accidents. Thanks for proving
my
> point

No, your point was that Mountain Biking is more dangerous and results in injuries that cause one to
miss work. Having an accident while Mountain Biking not resulting in an injury does not prove
danjer. I slipped and fell in my garage the other day so therefore walking is DANGEROUS!

And it was nice of you to prove my point that you would no longer respond to my posts since your own
logic has proven you wrong adn therefore a LIAR.

idiot

Michael

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:45:04 GMT, "Michael Paul" <[email protected]>
wrote:

. ."Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
.news:[email protected]... .> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:16:51 -0500, Kamus of
Kadizhar .<[email protected]> .> wrote: .> . .> .> So you admit that you've had accidents! Just
not bad enough to miss work. .That .> proves that it is more dangerous than hiking. I have had NO
accidents .hiking. .> .So obviously since you've never injured yourself hiking (now think way back
.to those classes you had for that PhD about statistical sampling and .population sizes) then that
OBVIOUSLY means that from a statistics .standpoint you and only you are a valid sample. Sheesh.
what a quack!

Why are you arguing, when it's OBVIOUS to everyone but mountain bikers that mountain biking is more
dangerous than hiking? Idiot.

.> .I've been hit and had 2 car accidents; I've never had a mountain bike .> .accident that resulted
in injury. .> .> So you admit that you've had mountain bike accidents. Thanks for proving .my .>
point . .No, your point was that Mountain Biking is more dangerous and results in .injuries that
cause one to miss work.

I never said anything about work, liar.

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:24:03 +0000, Mike Vandeman wrote:

> .Show me your statistics. I've wrecked 3 times on a road bike bad enough .to lose work days. I've
> never lost a work day due to mountain biking.
>
> So you admit that you've had accidents! Just not bad enough to miss work. That proves that it is
> more dangerous than hiking. I have had NO accidents hiking.

****Show me your statistics****

just in case you missed it the first time.

--Kamus

--

Mike Vandeman wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:35:02 GMT, hall <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> . .Mike, if your are so dedicated to the banning of MTB on the grounds of .preventing injury and
> death of your fellow man (and woman), how come .this is the only activity you are trying to ban?
>
> It isn't, liar. One minute looking at my web site would tell you that. I am especially opposed to
> auto use and road construction.

No Mike. What other activity are you trying to ban "on the grounds of preventing injury and death of
your fellow man (and woman)"? I had a look at your page and though it simple to see that there are
many things you'd like to ban, I did not find a single reference to banning activities on the
grounds of safety. Not one! Of course, I did not read everything, but i spent more than "One minute"
looking for it. Show me wrong and I'll agree to being uninformed, but do not call me a liar unless
you have a solid ground for your claims!

> Smoking kills more .people than biking does. Alcohol kills more people than biking does.
>
> I oppose both of those, but I focus on other things because those ones are obvious, and plenty of
> people are already working on those.

And since you are here fighting for wildlife, the rest of us don't have to bother?

> .Drunk driving kills more third persons than biking does. Even secondary .smoking does more
> harm to bystanders than biking does. Not to mention .the the effects of liberal gun laws (I
> know, I know, guns don't kill .people, morons with guns kill people, but I do believe the guns
> help). . .If you are so interested in saving lives, Why not go after any of the .other risks
> meantioned above?
>
> That's easy: I DO. Your effort to distract people from the harm that mountain biking does is
> duly noted.

Mike, Mike, Mike. Do I really have to use the LIAR word here? I have never said that mountain biking
is a "safe" activity, and I sure don't try to distract people from it's dangers. If i thought it to
be safe, why would I never get on my bike without protective gear (helmet, kneepads etc) and why
would i never go trail riding without company?

But you will never hear me say the mountain biking per se is dangerous. The thing is, when on the
trail, I can ride as slowly and safely as I wish, and with the absence of cars, I only have adjust
my speed to the terrain in order to be well out of harms way. I do not risk injury simply by biking!
If I increase the speed, pushing myself to my limits, the risk of a crash increases but I am still
the only factor I have to consider.

It's when one go beyond the limits of ones capacity that safety is compromised and this is not
linked to biking. This holds for any activity that involves a risk. Skiing, car driving, swimming,
running, claimbing chairs to change that broken lightbulb and even hiking is dangerous if one don't
know (and overstep) the boundaries of ones capacity.

> .Oh, and by the way, I'd say that biking actually saves lives, as you .cannot combine smoking with
> an even half decent performance as a biker.
>
> Street biking is enough to do that. This is not a reason for allowing bikes off of pavement.
>
> .Risk of cancer greatly reduced, risk of fatal accident slightly .increased, thus a positive total
> effect. (and then there is the effect .of cardio-vascular exercise, bone density increase, etc)
>
> Good. Now stay on pavement.

Well, no thank you. As you yourself put it: "Streets that allow the presence of motor vehicles will
never be safe." (From your own website. See, I've read at least parts of it!), so I will not be safe
there either. Not unless motorised vehicles are banned and I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

In contrast to the trail, the roads are used by cars and so my safety no longer depends only on me
to adjust my speed and riding to the conditions I am in. Sharing the road with others mean that I
have to rely on others to adjust their speed to the current condition and that they obey the traffic
regulations. Unfortunatly, this is not always the case. Biking on roads have caused me two accident
due to car drivers that did not follow regulations (one ignored a stop sign, another made a right
turn right in front of me without signaling) and more close calls than I care to count.

As a small trivia, I've never suffered anything worse than a bruising on the trail and even that is
a rare event. I've had far worse injuries on paved roads.

regards /hall

> On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:45:04 GMT, "Michael Paul"
<[email protected]>
> wrote:

> Why are you arguing, when it's OBVIOUS to everyone but mountain bikers
that
> mountain biking is more dangerous than hiking? Idiot.

Once again, you're changing your story. let's reiterate since you didn't get it the first 4 times it
was shown.

You: Mountain biking is more dangerous than Hiking so therefore only hikingt should not be allowed.

Me (using your logic). Driving is more dangerous than Mountain Biking so therefore Mountaing Biking
should be allowed.

I never said mountain biking wasn't more dangerous than hiking, wrestling with a gorilla, playing
russion roulette, smoking, or any other activity. You did. What I said was that with your poorly
conceived logic then Mountain bikign is justified. You showed me the light, I merely used your own
statements to disprove your point.

> . .No, your point was that Mountain Biking is more dangerous and results in .injuries that cause
> one to miss work.
>
> I never said anything about work, liar.

LIAR. perhaps you should review all of the messages in the thread so you don't use multiple lies
against one another.

in your message posted to Kamas of Kadizhar you replied to him about the fact that he had in fact
hurt himself while hiking but never had seriously injured himself on a Moutnain Bike. You're quote
as follows is: "So you admit that you've had accidents! Just not bad enough to miss work."

Thereofre, you did in fact say something about work but previously denied
it. That my dear friend makes you a liar to which we can also conclude (becuase we didn't know this
before anyway) that everythign you say is therefore a lie. Again, that is your logic proving
this point since all mountain bikers lie!

this is kind of fun. it's getting so easy to catch you in your lies and mistruths. no challenge at
all really.

Michael

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:56:02 -0500, Kamus of Kadizhar <[email protected]>
wrote:

.On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:24:03 +0000, Mike Vandeman wrote: . .> .Show me your statistics. I've
wrecked 3 times on a road bike bad enough .> .to lose work days. I've never lost a work day due to
mountain biking. .> .> So you admit that you've had accidents! Just not bad enough to miss work.
That .> proves that it is more dangerous than hiking. I have had NO accidents hiking. . .****Show me
your statistics****

What would be the point, since you wouldn't accept them, in any case. Besides, it's OBVIOUS.

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:59:38 GMT, hall <[email protected]> wrote:

. .Mike Vandeman wrote: .> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:35:02 GMT, hall <[email protected]> wrote: .>
.> . .> .Mike, if your are so dedicated to the banning of MTB on the grounds of .> .preventing
injury and death of your fellow man (and woman), how come .> .this is the only activity you are
trying to ban? .> .> It isn't, liar. One minute looking at my web site would tell you that. I am .>
especially opposed to auto use and road construction. . .No Mike. What other activity are you trying
to ban "on the grounds of .preventing injury and death of your fellow man (and woman)"? I had a
.look at your page and though it simple to see that there are many things .you'd like to ban, I did
not find a single reference to banning .activities on the grounds of safety. Not one!

Then you didn't read much, did you? But what's wrong with banning mountain biking on the basis of
safety, as well as all the other reasons?

Of course, I did not read .everything, but i spent more than "One minute" looking for it. Show me
.wrong and I'll agree to being uninformed, but do not call me a liar .unless you have a solid
ground for your claims!

You lied because you made an assertion ("this is the only activity you are trying to ban") without
knowing it to be true. I also just proved it to be false. By the way, you said NOTHING in that
statement about safety as a reason.

.> Smoking kills more .> .people than biking does. Alcohol kills more people than biking does. .> .>
I oppose both of those, but I focus on other things because those ones are .> obvious, and plenty of
people are already working on those. . .And since you are here fighting for wildlife, the rest of us
don't have .to bother?

Is that your excuse?

.> .Drunk driving kills more third persons than biking does. Even secondary .> .smoking does more
harm to bystanders than biking does. Not to mention .> .the the effects of liberal gun laws (I know,
I know, guns don't kill .> .people, morons with guns kill people, but I do believe the guns help).
.> . .> .If you are so interested in saving lives, Why not go after any of the .> .other risks
meantioned above? .> .> That's easy: I DO. Your effort to distract people from the harm that
mountain .> biking does is duly noted. .> . .Mike, Mike, Mike. Do I really have to use the LIAR word
here? I have .never said that mountain biking is a "safe" activity, and I sure don't .try to
distract people from it's dangers. If i thought it to be safe, .why would I never get on my bike
without protective gear (helmet, .kneepads etc) and why would i never go trail riding without
company? . .But you will never hear me say the mountain biking per se is dangerous.

That's your dishonesty.

.The thing is, when on the trail, I can ride as slowly and safely as I .wish, and with the absence
of cars, I only have adjust my speed to the .terrain in order to be well out of harms way. I do not
risk injury .simply by biking!

You aren't the only one whose safety is threatened! Yoou kill animals & plants, regardless of how
slowly you ride (and I doubt that you ride slowly).

If I increase the speed, pushing myself to my limits, .the risk of a crash increases but I am still
the only factor I have to .consider. . .It's when one go beyond the limits of ones capacity that
safety is .compromised and this is not linked to biking. This holds for any .activity that involves
a risk. Skiing, car driving, swimming, running, .claimbing chairs to change that broken lightbulb
and even hiking is .dangerous if one don't know (and overstep) the boundaries of ones capacity. .
.> .Oh, and by the way, I'd say that biking actually saves lives, as you .> .cannot combine smoking
with an even half decent performance as a biker. .> .> Street biking is enough to do that. This is
not a reason for allowing bikes off .> of pavement. .> .> .Risk of cancer greatly reduced, risk of
fatal accident slightly .> .increased, thus a positive total effect. (and then there is the effect
.> .of cardio-vascular exercise, bone density increase, etc) .> .> Good. Now stay on pavement. .
.Well, no thank you. As you yourself put it: "Streets that allow the .presence of motor vehicles
will never be safe." (From your own website. .See, I've read at least parts of it!), so I will not
be safe there .either.

That is up to you. You aren't mountain biking for safety reasons. Two different destinations
are involved!

Not unless motorised vehicles are banned and I doubt that will .happen anytime soon. . .In contrast
to the trail, the roads are used by cars and so my safety no .longer depends only on me to adjust
my speed and riding to the .conditions I am in. Sharing the road with others mean that I have to
.rely on others to adjust their speed to the current condition and that .they obey the traffic
regulations. Unfortunatly, this is not always the .case. Biking on roads have caused me two
accident due to car drivers .that did not follow regulations (one ignored a stop sign, another made
a .right turn right in front of me without signaling) and more close calls .than I care to count.

Then ride where there is no auto traffic, as I do.

.As a small trivia, I've never suffered anything worse than a bruising on .the trail and even that
is a rare event. I've had far worse injuries on .paved roads.

Then WALK. But don't sacrifice wildlife.

.regards ./hall

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:56:02 -0500, Kamus of Kadizhar
<[email protected]>
> wrote:

> What would be the point, since you wouldn't accept them, in any case.
Besides,
> it's OBVIOUS.

is that how you defended your dissertation? walk into a room with actual PhD's. Totally discredit
the scientific method and tell them that they should be smart enough to figure it out adn they're
all stupid for not understanding it?

Man, you get more unbelieveable every day.

them: "Mikey, would you please explain how you came to this conclusion and cite any relevent facts
that support your claims"

Mikey "What? it's so obviuos you stupid people. I don't need statistics or the scientific method.
This is what I think and therefore you're all too stupid to figure it out. Losers. I don't need
facts. FActs are for pussies. Everybody should believe me for I am God!"

Yet again, showing how much of an idiot you really are.

Michael