Mountain Biking to get better at Road Cycling

gnomeinurlawn16

Aug 1, 2010
I read in Road Bike Action Magazine that Mountain biking can greatly increase your skill as a road cyclist. Ive been riding my dads old mountain bike that I fixed up and its been so much fun. I just wanted to know what yall think about it making you a better road biker.

Gnome

I used to race road bikes up MA. During the off season, many of the team riders would meet at different trails and we would ride our guts out. Tons of fun and keep us in great shape. I gained some good leg strength and became a better climber. Our team always did well at the beginning of the race season because we stayed in shape. It sure beats being indoors on a wind trainer or out on the road when it's 20 degrees out!

Now get some lights and ride trails at night to improve your mt biking. Riding trails at night will allow you to break out and go nuts on same trails during the day, at least it did for me. Whole new world at night that will also benefit your other riding IMO.

I have found that both mountain biking and road biking help the other out. Before I started road biking, I was sufficient at mountain biking. But after starting road biking, my mountain biking power soared. Conversely, the technical skills required of mountain biking drastically help me with my road riding.