I've been reading around about newbies getting into road racing, but I still have questions.
Okay, so I was just about to buy a new mountain bike. However, I mostly ride on the road, and a road bike would allow me to ride further, too. Mountain bike races are extremely fun, but I'm looking for something different. As a result, I've been looking into good road bikes and I've found one that I'd like to buy. Still, some questions.
I know I'd have to start riding 5, but if you're good enough, how many races/places does it take to move up? Typical question, I know.
I am more concerned, however, about pack riding, in that I don't think I would be too fond of it. My mountain bike race strategy has been to go balls out from the start and keep the lead. It's been sucessful. However, this is obviously suicide in road racing. I read that most cat 5 races end in field sprints, but why? No one is strong enough to make a move? No one can keep a lead? Also, at which point/mile in a race is it wise to make a move? Simply put, I'm worried about being the over-aggressive idiot/newbie who makes an ass out of himself. Any basic advice or words of wisdom? Thanks!