"Mountain Days, Bothy Nights"

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Peewiglet, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    Has anyone read this? I've just ordered it via Amazon: it sounds v.
    exciting and inspiring, from what I've read about it :)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~

    Tags:

  2. pete bland

    pete bland Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:29:09 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Has anyone read this?

    Excellent read. Also recommend 'A View from the Ridge' (1991) by the
    same authors. I am amazed to see that 'MD, BN' was published in 1987 -
    seems like only a few years ago.

    --
    Pete Bland

  3. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 23:25:41 GMT, "pete bland"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    [...]
    >> Has anyone read this?

    >Excellent read. Also recommend 'A View from the Ridge' (1991) by the
    >same authors. I am amazed to see that 'MD, BN' was published in 1987 -
    >seems like only a few years ago.

    Excellent, thanks! I'll look for the second one :)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~

  4. Duncan Gray

    Duncan Gray Guest

    "Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Has anyone read this? I've just ordered it via Amazon: it sounds v.
    > exciting and inspiring, from what I've read about it :)

    Not a book to look for lots of practical info from, but a great read.
    Definately inspiring with its tales of comradeship in the bothies. You'll
    end up being disappointed if you get a bothy to yourself.

    --
    Duncan Gray

    www.duncolm.co.uk
    also The Mountaineering Council of Scotland
    www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk

  5. Duncan Gray

    Duncan Gray Guest

    "Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Has anyone read this? I've just ordered it via Amazon: it sounds v.
    > exciting and inspiring, from what I've read about it :)

    Not a book to look for lots of practical info from, but a great read.
    Definately inspiring with its tales of comradeship in the bothies. You'll
    end up being disappointed if you get a bothy to yourself.

    --
    Duncan Gray

    www.duncolm.co.uk
    also The Mountaineering Council of Scotland
    www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk

  6. AndyP

    AndyP Guest

    "Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Has anyone read this? I've just ordered it via Amazon: it sounds v.
    > exciting and inspiring, from what I've read about it :)

    Yes, good read in your tent on a windy night. I took my copy on 2
    backpacking trips before leaving it in Morvich campsite TV room for someone
    else to enjoy.

    I think they made up their own language for it though. All the Scottish
    people I've ever known or heard have spoken English pretty much, just with a
    funny accent.

  7. RJ Webb

    RJ Webb Guest

    >I think they made up their own language for it though. All the Scottish
    >people I've ever known or heard have spoken English pretty much, just with a
    >funny accent.

    They are bilingual...

    Richard Webb

  8. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Peewiglet <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Has anyone read this? I've just ordered it via Amazon: it sounds v.
    > exciting and inspiring, from what I've read about it :)
    >

    > Best wishes,

    It's a very very very good book! I enjoyed it, and laughed out loud at a
    few bits!

    regards

    --
    Brian

  9. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Peewiglet <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Has anyone read this? I've just ordered it via Amazon: it sounds v.
    > exciting and inspiring, from what I've read about it :)
    >

    > Best wishes,

    It's a very very very good book! I enjoyed it, and laughed out loud at a
    few bits!

    regards

    --
    Brian

  10. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    "pete bland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:29:09 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Has anyone read this?

    > Excellent read. Also recommend 'A View from the Ridge' (1991) by the
    > same authors. I am amazed to see that 'MD, BN' was published in 1987 -
    > seems like only a few years ago.
    >
    > --
    > Pete Bland

    Yes, MD&BN is one of my all time favourites, together with A View from the
    Ridge, as is "Second Man on the Rope" by Ian Mitchell (one of the authors of
    MD&BN).

    And while I'm here, "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" by Aron Ralston is
    every bit as gripping as Touching the Void.

    Cheers,

    Glenn

    Web site: http://www.andromeda-park.demon.co.uk
    Speleo Vercors: http://www.speleo-vercors.org

  11. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    "pete bland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:29:09 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Has anyone read this?

    > Excellent read. Also recommend 'A View from the Ridge' (1991) by the
    > same authors. I am amazed to see that 'MD, BN' was published in 1987 -
    > seems like only a few years ago.
    >
    > --
    > Pete Bland

    Yes, MD&BN is one of my all time favourites, together with A View from the
    Ridge, as is "Second Man on the Rope" by Ian Mitchell (one of the authors of
    MD&BN).

    And while I'm here, "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" by Aron Ralston is
    every bit as gripping as Touching the Void.

    Cheers,

    Glenn

    Web site: http://www.andromeda-park.demon.co.uk
    Speleo Vercors: http://www.speleo-vercors.org

  12. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 18:00:03 -0000, "Glenn"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    [...]
    >Yes, MD&BN is one of my all time favourites, together with A View from the
    >Ridge, as is "Second Man on the Rope" by Ian Mitchell (one of the authors of
    >MD&BN).
    >
    >And while I'm here, "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" by Aron Ralston is
    >every bit as gripping as Touching the Void.

    I've also heard great things about 'One Man's Mountains', by Tom
    Patey. I think it may be more climbing than walking, but apparently
    it's a truly great book. It's next on the list for as soon as I've
    read the current batch :)

    Oooh! I wonder if I should start laying down a few books now for the
    Challenge in May?

    :)) <fx: bounce, bounce!!!>

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~

  13. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    wrote:

    >Has anyone read this? I've just ordered it via Amazon: it sounds v.
    >exciting and inspiring, from what I've read about it :)

    Thanks for all who wrote with comments re: this - I can hardly wait
    for it to arrive, now! :)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~

  14. pete bland

    pete bland Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:23:35 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > I've also heard great things about 'One Man's Mountains', by Tom
    > Patey.

    Definitely worth seeking out. It's a collection of pieces published
    posthumously and TP's wit sets it apart from much other writing from
    authors who are (no doubt) good climbers but not so good with a pen.

    Yes, it is mainly about climbing, but you don't have to be a climber
    to enjoy pieces like "A short walk with Whillans", about the Eiger
    north wall. An evening spent in a bothy with TP and his accordion must
    have been a memorable experience for those lucky enough to have been
    around at the time.

    --
    Pete Bland

  15. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:50:21 GMT, "pete bland"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:23:35 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> I've also heard great things about 'One Man's Mountains', by Tom
    >> Patey.

    >Definitely worth seeking out. It's a collection of pieces published
    >posthumously and TP's wit sets it apart from much other writing from
    >authors who are (no doubt) good climbers but not so good with a pen.
    >
    >Yes, it is mainly about climbing, but you don't have to be a climber
    >to enjoy pieces like "A short walk with Whillans", about the Eiger
    >north wall. An evening spent in a bothy with TP and his accordion must
    >have been a memorable experience for those lucky enough to have been
    >around at the time.

    Thanks, Pete - I'll definitely get it next, then :)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~

  16. Alan Wilson

    Alan Wilson Guest

    Thought it was pretty average actually. I enjoyed 'Always a little further'
    by Alaistair Borthwick much more

    AW
    "AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> Has anyone read this? I've just ordered it via Amazon: it sounds v.
    >> exciting and inspiring, from what I've read about it :)

    > Yes, good read in your tent on a windy night. I took my copy on 2
    > backpacking trips before leaving it in Morvich campsite TV room for
    > someone
    > else to enjoy.
    >
    > I think they made up their own language for it though. All the Scottish
    > people I've ever known or heard have spoken English pretty much, just with
    > funny accent.

  17. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from Peewiglet <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > Oooh! I wonder if I should start laying down a few books now for the
    > Challenge in May?

    I don't want to disappoint you but books are heavy and if you intend to
    do any hills on the way across they are best left at home unless you can
    afford a support party to meet you at every camp. Why not learn a few
    off by heart and then go over them in your mind. :)

    --
    Roger Chapman so far this year - nothing
    and no prospects either

  18. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    SNIP

    Possibly another two to consider are Eiger Dreams by Jon Krakauer - a
    collection of anecdoctal stories on several aspects of mountain life, and
    Fragile Edge by Maria Coffey, which details the loss of Joe Tasker and Pete
    Boardman on Everest from the partners perspective, something (as a caver) I
    failed to appreciate until I read this book.

    Cheers,

    Glenn

  19. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:07:15 +0000 (UTC), "Alan Wilson"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    [...]
    >Thought it was pretty average actually. I enjoyed 'Always a little further'
    >by Alaistair Borthwick much more

    Many thanks for the tip - I'd not hear of that one, but I'll look it
    up.

    Thanks again :)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~

  20. SteveO

    SteveO Guest

    wrote:

    >I've also heard great things about 'One Man's Mountains', by Tom
    >Patey.

    Very Definitely worth a read, does concentrate a lot on the climbing
    side of things.. but then he was a climber ;-) But, and its a
    significant but, imho, as far as the book's appeal to non-climbers,
    its a book written about the time in British climbing when everything
    was new; "modern climbing" was being born... which means that its very
    much in the mould of "exploring the unknown" and adventures to be had
    rather than about climbing per se.

    Tom Patey had an eye for wild places and a love of exploring. Its well
    worth the read.

    SteveO
    --
    NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;