mountain derailleur with road cassette

Neaudl

Guest
To get lower gears on my road bike, I've considered using a 12-34 cassette with an XT rear
derailleur. Sometimes I would want conventional gearing, i. e. 12-25 or 12-27 in my case. Would I
expect to have problems using the road cassette with the mountain derailleur?

L. D. Lide

On 22 May 2003 01:17:33 GMT, [email protected] (NeauDL) wrote:

>To get lower gears on my road bike, I've considered using a 12-34 cassette with an XT rear
>derailleur. Sometimes I would want conventional gearing, i. e. 12-25 or 12-27 in my case. Would I
>expect to have problems using the road cassette with the mountain derailleur?
>
>L. D. Lide
no

You may want two chains - short for smaller cassette, long for the other

Use chains with no-tool connectors, like SRAM with Powerlink

"NeauDL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> To get lower gears on my road bike, I've considered using a 12-34 cassette
with
> an XT rear derailleur. Sometimes I would want conventional gearing, i. e. 12-25 or 12-27 in my
> case. Would I expect to have problems using the road cassette with the mountain derailleur?
>
> L. D. Lide

"NeauDL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> To get lower gears on my road bike, I've considered using a 12-34 cassette
with
> an XT rear derailleur. Sometimes I would want conventional gearing, i. e. 12-25 or 12-27 in my
> case. Would I expect to have problems using the road cassette with the mountain derailleur?
>
> L. D. Lide

I use the same set-up on my Ultegra equipped bike and swap rear wheels regularly. I Don't change out
the chain, it's not necessary. The shifting with the XT derailluer is not quite as precise as an
Ultegra derailluer would be, but it works much better than just O.K.

neau-<< To get lower gears on my road bike, I've considered using a 12-34 cassette with an XT rear
derailleur. Sometimes I would want conventional gearing, i. e. 12-25 or 12-27 in my case. Would I
expect to have problems using the road cassette with the mountain derailleur?

Nope, none at all...