mountain derailleur with road cassette

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Neaudl, May 21, 2003.

  1. Neaudl

    Neaudl Guest

    To get lower gears on my road bike, I've considered using a 12-34 cassette with an XT rear
    derailleur. Sometimes I would want conventional gearing, i. e. 12-25 or 12-27 in my case. Would I
    expect to have problems using the road cassette with the mountain derailleur?

    L. D. Lide

    Tags:

  2. On 22 May 2003 01:17:33 GMT, [email protected] (NeauDL) wrote:

    >To get lower gears on my road bike, I've considered using a 12-34 cassette with an XT rear
    >derailleur. Sometimes I would want conventional gearing, i. e. 12-25 or 12-27 in my case. Would I
    >expect to have problems using the road cassette with the mountain derailleur?
    >
    >L. D. Lide
    no

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    You may want two chains - short for smaller cassette, long for the other

    Use chains with no-tool connectors, like SRAM with Powerlink

  4. "NeauDL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > To get lower gears on my road bike, I've considered using a 12-34 cassette
    with
    > an XT rear derailleur. Sometimes I would want conventional gearing, i. e. 12-25 or 12-27 in my
    > case. Would I expect to have problems using the road cassette with the mountain derailleur?
    >
    > L. D. Lide

    I use the same set-up on my Ultegra equipped bike and swap rear wheels regularly. I Don't change out
    the chain, it's not necessary. The shifting with the XT derailluer is not quite as precise as an
    Ultegra derailluer would be, but it works much better than just O.K.

  5. neau-<< To get lower gears on my road bike, I've considered using a 12-34 cassette with an XT rear
    derailleur. Sometimes I would want conventional gearing, i. e. 12-25 or 12-27 in my case. Would I
    expect to have problems using the road cassette with the mountain derailleur?

    Nope, none at all...