Mountain Drive or Schlumpf Planetary Drives

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Kim Hawtin, May 27, 2008.

  1. Kim Hawtin

    Kim Hawtin Guest

    Hi guys,

    Been putting some miles on my mtb ss and i need to replace the whole BB
    internals. Also thinking about moving to a rohloff or nexus geared hub.

    Found this on the BOB list and thought it might work nicely;
    http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/mountain_drive.shtml

    Has anyone seen these for sale in Australia?

    I recon that I would spend most my time in 1:1 and a bit of hill
    climbing in 2.5:1. Currently running 30:18 which is too low for most the
    riding I'm doing now... maybe 42:18 with this Schlumpf could work...?

    Thoughts?

    cheers,

    Kim

    Tags:

  2. Tomasso

    Tomasso Guest

    "Kim Hawtin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > Been putting some miles on my mtb ss and i need to replace the whole BB
    > internals. Also thinking about moving to a rohloff or nexus geared hub.
    >
    > Found this on the BOB list and thought it might work nicely;
    > http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/mountain_drive.shtml
    >
    > Has anyone seen these for sale in Australia?
    >
    > I recon that I would spend most my time in 1:1 and a bit of hill
    > climbing in 2.5:1. Currently running 30:18 which is too low for most the
    > riding I'm doing now... maybe 42:18 with this Schlumpf could work...?
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > Kim

    My brother was thinking like this for a long while. Owned a Giant Yukon. Usual kind of 3 sp front, 9 sp rear.

    Ended up getting a recumbent trike. Normal derailleur gears.

    T.

  3. Kim Hawtin wrote:

    > Hi guys,
    >
    > Been putting some miles on my mtb ss and i need to replace the whole BB
    > internals. Also thinking about moving to a rohloff or nexus geared hub.
    >
    > Found this on the BOB list and thought it might work nicely;
    > http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/mountain_drive.shtml
    >
    > Has anyone seen these for sale in Australia?
    >
    > I recon that I would spend most my time in 1:1 and a bit of hill
    > climbing in 2.5:1. Currently running 30:18 which is too low for most the
    > riding I'm doing now... maybe 42:18 with this Schlumpf could work...?
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > Kim

    I'm a roadie and wasn't aware such gadgets existed which included
    gearing in the crankset.

    At age 40, the lowest chain cog ratio I needed was 42 x 23.
    Now I am nearly 61, and I find the same hills I still ride have become
    steeper
    in the last 20 years and I now need 39 x 28.

    This makes it just comfortable ( not too much swearing ) for climbing
    long hills
    at 10% slope. I can stand on pedals, then sit awhile, then stand and so
    on, and
    average about 9kph. I figured I'd go a bit faster if I had a higher
    cadence
    with an even lower gear and probably do my knees a favour.

    On a mountain bike in the rough there would be times where the slope
    could be 20%, no?
    So a much lower gear might be needed, to avoid brute strength or
    anaerobic
    power to get you up the pinch.

    I switched from old style 7 speed clusters with levers to 8 speed with
    indexed,
    and cassette rear hubs etc and I couldn't find a road cassette with 28
    or 32,
    but I did find a mountain bike cassette 8 speed that would work with a
    Shimano SORA shift set with a deraileur with longer jockey wheel arm.

    I changed the 12t&11t to a 14t&13t from road cassette to get a better
    range of gears with the
    largest rear at 28t.

    As years pass, I will chuck out the the 1988 Shimano 600 52/39 crankset
    and get a compact
    50/30 or whatever, maybe even a triple to get lower gears as I need
    them.

    By then the slope of the hills will be so steep that cars won't even get
    up.

    Patrick Turner.

  4. terryc

    terryc Guest

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 18:48:49 +0930, Kim Hawtin wrote:

    > Has anyone seen these for sale in Australia?

    No, but you could try asking Cheeky Monkey at Newtown(?), NSW.
    Rep seems to include low geaing situations/usage.

  5. jur

    jur New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2005
    Greenspeed in Melb sells them.

  6. Rory Williams

    Rory Williams New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2003

    St Kilda Cycles in Melbourne also has a lot of internal hub gear stuff - sold me a shifter for a 7 gear nexus hub I picked up on ebay.

    RoryW