Mountain huts in Pico De Europa

Hello,

Can anyone point me to information (already tried google and cant find
anything) on how to book into mountain huts in the Picos de Europa. Can
one just turn up (in early June) and get a place? Specifically around
the Fuenta De and Cares Gorge region are the ones we would be
interested in.

Also do most of the villages have decent food shops so we can buy food
there?

Thanks,

Mark

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone point me to information (already tried google and cant find
> anything) on how to book into mountain huts in the Picos de Europa. Can
> one just turn up (in early June) and get a place? Specifically around
> the Fuenta De and Cares Gorge region are the ones we would be
> interested in.
>
> Also do most of the villages have decent food shops so we can buy food
> there?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

The info you require can be found on these 2 sites:
http://imagenlmrv.iespana.es/picosdeuropa/index2.html and
http://www.fempa.net/

My wife and I did a fair bit of walking in the Picos a couple of years ago
but we stayed in hostales and pensiones so I can't give any more info about
mountain huts (refugios). Even the tiniest of villages, though, has a shop
or a bar.

Happy walking - it's an outstanding area!

Gerry

Hi Mark, there is a campsite at Fuente De - I've stayed there twice :
http://www.elredondopicosdeeuropa.com/

It's highly recommended, has a bar, you need to pre-order bread, good
showers, 10 minutes from the cable car (which I DID NOT enjoy!!)

Don't know about huts in Fuente De.... there's at least two hotels.

We also stayed (camping outside) at the Refuge J D Ubeda... That was
busy (tho not full) in September.

We walked to Cain (other end of the Cares Gorge) and had a few beers,
then taxi back to Fuente De... I would imagine there is accomodation in
Cain but can't comment on it.

You can't book at Fuente De, it was quiet in September and heaving in
August.

Pictures here:

http://www.thehelmets.co.uk/gallery/Picos de Europa 19th September 2002/index.html