Mountain Jersey

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jesse Thompson, Jul 19, 2004.

  1. So what I want to know is, why the hell are all the climbers who have no
    hope at GC letting Virenque walk away with the Mountains Jersey.

    There's any long list of riders who could ride better than the old man:
    Rasmussen, Simoni, Mancebo, Cesar. Is the polka-dot really not worth
    more than a 8th place on GC? Especially after they all fall apart on the
    final time trial...

    Moreau has put up a pathetic run at the points, with embarrassing
    sprints. Rasmussen let Chavanel take all the 1st place points on their
    break, when he could have grabbed a big pile right there. What's the
    deal? All you have to do is watch Virenque on the first day in the
    mountains and follow him when he goes. Like any of the real climbers
    couldn't have done that?

    So strange. They're just letting him have it...

    Tags:

  2. Jesse Thompson wrote:
    > So what I want to know is, why the hell are all the climbers who have no
    > hope at GC letting Virenque walk away with the Mountains Jersey.
    >
    > There's any long list of riders who could ride better than the old man:
    > Rasmussen, Simoni, Mancebo, Cesar. Is the polka-dot really not worth
    > more than a 8th place on GC? Especially after they all fall apart on the
    > final time trial...
    >
    > Moreau has put up a pathetic run at the points, with embarrassing
    > sprints. Rasmussen let Chavanel take all the 1st place points on their
    > break, when he could have grabbed a big pile right there. What's the
    > deal? All you have to do is watch Virenque on the first day in the
    > mountains and follow him when he goes. Like any of the real climbers
    > couldn't have done that?
    >
    > So strange. They're just letting him have it...

    Good question. Maybe Virenque bought off Moreau, because Moreau stopped
    attacking him. Seems there's plenty of good climbers, but many of them
    are domestiques in the service of their GC hope and go up the road to
    place themselves strategically.

    The KoM does have a cash prize, which some riders in the past have
    pursued because it helped them buy their dream home (a farm!) quicker.

  3. IMKen

    IMKen Guest

    It is do to the fact that some teams other than Postal have at least a
    little discipline. Each member has a specific job to do. Chasing after
    random points is not one of them. When have you seen a Postie in a flyer
    this year? The team is the reason Lance is doing well.

    Once his position is solidly established that might change with a few going
    for a stage win. You will not win TDF if part of your team is riding for
    personal glory.

    Ken

    news:1gh72nx.1j1oq8e1ceebjuN%[email protected]_gwi.net...

  4. Jesse Thompson <[email protected]_gwi.net> wrote:

    > There's any long list of riders who could ride better than the old man:
    > Rasmussen, Simoni, Mancebo, Cesar. Is the polka-dot really not worth
    > more than a 8th place on GC? Especially after they all fall apart on the
    > final time trial...

    > Moreau has put up a pathetic run at the points, with embarrassing
    > sprints. Rasmussen let Chavanel take all the 1st place points on their
    > break, when he could have grabbed a big pile right there. What's the
    > deal?

    Rasmussen doesn't care about following the things:

    the polka dot jersy
    7-10th GC.
    2.th on a stage.

    What he does care about is:

    A stage win, preferably an hounerable one (not one where he sits on
    Armstrongs & Basso's wheel until the last 100m)
    A podium spot (the only way he can get that, is to win a stage or two
    with +5 minutes, as he will loose 5-10 minutes on the final timetrail)

    BTW to get the mountain points in front of Chavanel, wolud be bad
    politics as Chavanell otherwise might not want to do work in the
    brakeaway - Both of them knew that if Chavanell had been with Rasmussen
    on the final climb Rasmussen would burry him - Chavanell had no chance
    of a stage win on mountain stage in a brakeaway with Rasmussen.

    --
    Morten Reippuert Knudsen :) <http://blog.reippuert.dk>

    PowerMac G5: 1.6GHz, 1.25GB RAM, 80GB Disk, 8x DVD+/-RW, Bluetooth mus
    + tastatur, FX5200 Ultra, iSight, eyeTV200 & Lacie Photon18Vision (TFT).

    IMKen <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It is do to the fact that some teams other than Postal have at least a
    > little discipline. Each member has a specific job to do. Chasing after
    > random points is not one of them. When have you seen a Postie in a flyer
    > this year? The team is the reason Lance is doing well.
    >
    > Once his position is solidly established that might change with a few going
    > for a stage win. You will not win TDF if part of your team is riding for
    > personal glory.
    >
    > Ken

    Dude, you've been smoking too much OLN.

    None of the people I named has a GC threat on their team. Obviously
    Guerini, Sastre, and the Euskaltels aren't going to wander off and
    abandon their leader. I wasn't talking about that.

  6. Morten Reippuert Knudsen <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Jesse Thompson <[email protected]_gwi.net> wrote:
    >
    > > There's any long list of riders who could ride better than the old man:
    > > Rasmussen, Simoni, Mancebo, Cesar. Is the polka-dot really not worth
    > > more than a 8th place on GC? Especially after they all fall apart on the
    > > final time trial...

    > > Moreau has put up a pathetic run at the points, with embarrassing
    > > sprints. Rasmussen let Chavanel take all the 1st place points on their
    > > break, when he could have grabbed a big pile right there. What's the
    > > deal?

    > Rasmussen doesn't care about following the things:
    >
    > the polka dot jersy

    Yeah, but why not. He could win it. It's prestigous. You get a spot
    on the big stage in Paris. People remember it. You get talked about
    every day. It used to be a big thing...

    > What he does care about is:
    >
    > A stage win, preferably an hounerable one (not one where he sits on
    > Armstrongs & Basso's wheel until the last 100m)

    The mountains jersey would be easier for him to win.

    > A podium spot (the only way he can get that, is to win a stage or two
    > with +5 minutes, as he will loose 5-10 minutes on the final timetrail)

    Yeah right.

    > BTW to get the mountain points in front of Chavanel, wolud be bad
    > politics as Chavanell otherwise might not want to do work in the
    > brakeaway - Both of them knew that if Chavanell had been with Rasmussen
    > on the final climb Rasmussen would burry him - Chavanell had no chance
    > of a stage win on mountain stage in a brakeaway with Rasmussen.

    And neither did Rasmussen, with the way Postal is riding and the fact
    that Lance hadn't won a stage yet.

  7. Jesse Thompson <[email protected]_gwi.net> wrote:

    > > the polka dot jersy

    > Yeah, but why not.

    It s not as prestigious as a winning a big mountainstage while
    attacking far from the finnishline - it's a kind of bizzare competition.
    U can win it without beeing the best climber, with out winning a real
    mountain stage while beeing placed 50th. GC.

    > He could win it. It's prestigous. You get a spot
    > on the big stage in Paris. People remember it. You get talked about
    > every day. It used to be a big thing...

    > > What he does care about is:
    > >
    > > A stage win, preferably an hounerable one (not one where he sits on
    > > Armstrongs & Basso's wheel until the last 100m)

    > The mountains jersey would be easier for him to win.

    Sure - have you considered that it might be the reason it's not as
    prestigious as winning a big mountain stage by attacking far away form
    the finnishline? He wants to win like the big climbers have done it, like
    Coppi, Bahamontes, Herera and Pantani? The kind of victory poeple
    remember 10 or 20 years from now.

    > > BTW to get the mountain points in front of Chavanel, wolud be bad
    > > politics as Chavanell otherwise might not want to do work in the
    > > brakeaway - Both of them knew that if Chavanell had been with Rasmussen
    > > on the final climb Rasmussen would burry him - Chavanell had no chance
    > > of a stage win on mountain stage in a brakeaway with Rasmussen.

    > And neither did Rasmussen, with the way Postal is riding and the fact
    > that Lance hadn't won a stage yet.

    Still it was the right thing to do in order to keep Chavanells
    motivation. Today he let Virenque get the points in order to keep him
    working as well. He made it clear to Virenque that his only interest
    was the stage.

    As one of the few Rasmussen is willing to loose in order to win. Brian
    Holm (now director sportif at T-mobile) cals him "kind of crazy" and
    still admires him.