Mountain Lion Attacks

Originally posted by bone
A mountain Lion attacked two Women bikers yesterday and possibly killed a 35 year old man in Orange County . Here is the full story. Watch your backs.. Bone http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3912806/

yes, wasn't that a terrible shame? Whiting Ranch is one of my local Trails, although I've never ridden it....

But I still think that with all the risks, both on the Road and the Trail, the benefits still outweigh the the bad things that can happen....

Problem is, most of our Southern California Trails do have Mountain Lions, Rattle Snakes etc...

Will Dog repelent Spray work on a 110 Lb Lion??

:confused:

My bet is you would never have the chance to pull out the spray.
I'm an hour north of you and have seen a Bob Cat, loads of snakes(rattle and otherwise), I sure would not want to cross a Mountain Lion! My Brother in law said he had heard that the guy was fixing his chain. That is unconfirmed and I have no idea how they would know that.
Bone

this story really hits home with me because i do ride that trail quite often. there are plenty of signs warning you of the danger but since attacks are rare and you hardly see mtn lions, it builds a false sense of security. the woman was lucky to have such a determined friend and other bikers near by.

yes the man that was killed first was fixing his chain. they know this because they found his bike. although it sounds crazy, i pack a compact 9mm whenever i go riding. you just never know what animals, or crazy people for that matter, are out there.

the gal is said to be in stable condition and doing very well. our hearts and prayers go out to her.

I don't think you would ever have time to use bear spray. The best is have a large size dog with you as the cat's are afraid of dogs.. I used to do wildness Dog SAR in Bear and cat country and never had a problem. Look for tracks and cat dropping on the trail if so maybe ride another trail or ride in a group. Also look around the area are there sheep cattle and/or deer the main food chain for the cat's. It's just being aware and alert while riding.