Mountain lion victim undergoes surgery at UCLA

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Garrison Hilliard, Jun 28, 2004.

  1. LOS ANGELES – A 27-year-old Santa Monica woman lost her right
    eye in an attack by a mountain lion and underwent hours of
    reconstructive surgery to her face at UCLA Medical Center, authorities
    said.

    Shannon Parker also suffered deep wounds to her right thigh, officials
    with the California Department of Fish and Game said Sunday.

    Parker's family has asked UCLA not to release any information on her
    condition, said Rachel Shampeau, hospital spokeswoman.

    Parker was attacked Saturday after going on a hike with her boyfriend,
    Mathias Maciejewski, 28, of Los Angeles, and two other male friends.
    She was walking alone to her car about 7 p.m. near Johnsondale, about
    15 to 20 miles north of Kernville, when the female lion attacked her,
    said Steve Martarano, a spokesman for the fish and game department.

    Her friends rallied to Parker after hearing her screams. Maciejewski
    stabbed the lion with a knife and Jason Quirino, 30, of Los Angeles,
    and Ben Aaron Marsh, 15, of Los Angeles, threw rocks at the animal
    until it ran off, Martarano said Sunday.

    The lion, which weighed about 70 pounds, left a bloody trail as it
    fled and was later shot and killed by U.S. Forest Service officers and
    Fish and Game wardens, Martarano said.

    Officials will do a necropsy Monday to determine if the animal had
    rabies and to find out whether the animal was otherwise sick or
    injured, Martarano said. Officials could have results as early as
    Tuesday, he said.

    A 2002 wildfire in the area could have hampered the lion's ability to
    find enough food, he said.

    "The lion appeared to be emaciated," Martarano said. "Before the fire,
    (the area) was considered moderate to good mountain lion and deer
    habitat. The fire changed everything" he said, but added that the area
    had recently started to revive.

    Martarano said the incident was the 15th mountain lion attack on a
    human in California since 1890.

    In January, a mountain lion mauled two people in separate attacks at
    an Orange County wilderness park. Bike rider Mark Reynolds, 35, was
    killed and Anne Hjelle, 30, was rescued by her cycling partner, who
    held onto her legs, and other mountain bikers who threw rocks at it.
    Hjelle was hospitalized for weeks and likely will require several
    surgeries in the years ahead.

    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20040628-0008-ca-lionattack.html

    Tags:

  2. GaryG

    GaryG Guest

    "Garrison Hilliard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > LOS ANGELES – A 27-year-old Santa Monica woman lost her right
    > eye in an attack by a mountain lion and underwent hours of
    > reconstructive surgery to her face at UCLA Medical Center, authorities
    > said.
    >
    > Shannon Parker also suffered deep wounds to her right thigh, officials
    > with the California Department of Fish and Game said Sunday.
    >
    > Parker's family has asked UCLA not to release any information on her
    > condition, said Rachel Shampeau, hospital spokeswoman.
    >
    > Parker was attacked Saturday after going on a hike with her boyfriend,
    > Mathias Maciejewski, 28, of Los Angeles, and two other male friends.
    > She was walking alone to her car about 7 p.m. near Johnsondale, about
    > 15 to 20 miles north of Kernville, when the female lion attacked her,
    > said Steve Martarano, a spokesman for the fish and game department.
    >
    > Her friends rallied to Parker after hearing her screams. Maciejewski
    > stabbed the lion with a knife and Jason Quirino, 30, of Los Angeles,
    > and Ben Aaron Marsh, 15, of Los Angeles, threw rocks at the animal
    > until it ran off, Martarano said Sunday.
    >
    > The lion, which weighed about 70 pounds, left a bloody trail as it
    > fled and was later shot and killed by U.S. Forest Service officers and
    > Fish and Game wardens, Martarano said.
    >
    > Officials will do a necropsy Monday to determine if the animal had
    > rabies and to find out whether the animal was otherwise sick or
    > injured, Martarano said. Officials could have results as early as
    > Tuesday, he said.
    >
    > A 2002 wildfire in the area could have hampered the lion's ability to
    > find enough food, he said.
    >
    > "The lion appeared to be emaciated," Martarano said. "Before the fire,
    > (the area) was considered moderate to good mountain lion and deer
    > habitat. The fire changed everything" he said, but added that the area
    > had recently started to revive.
    >
    > Martarano said the incident was the 15th mountain lion attack on a
    > human in California since 1890.
    >
    > In January, a mountain lion mauled two people in separate attacks at
    > an Orange County wilderness park. Bike rider Mark Reynolds, 35, was
    > killed and Anne Hjelle, 30, was rescued by her cycling partner, who
    > held onto her legs, and other mountain bikers who threw rocks at it.
    > Hjelle was hospitalized for weeks and likely will require several
    > surgeries in the years ahead.
    >
    > http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20040628-0008-ca-lionattack.html

    The lion was known locally as "Mike", and was thought to be "working on
    creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat")."

  3. AustinMN

    AustinMN Guest

    GaryG wrote:

    > The lion was known locally as "Mike", and was thought to be "working on
    > creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    > humans ("pure habitat")."

    I think you're giving the troll way too much credit (and the comparison is
    totally unfair to the mountain lion).

    Austin