mountain rear derailleur with road cassette

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Neaudl, May 18, 2003.

  1. Neaudl

    Neaudl Guest

    After struggling up Mt. Mitchell yesterday, I'm thinking of putting on a mountain cassette for my
    next steep ride. If I put an XT rear derailleur on the roadbike to allow for a 12-34 cassette in the
    mountains, would I have problems with poor shifting using a 12-25 or 12-27 when not in the
    mountains? I can switch cassettes myself in only a couple of minutes but don't want to be switching
    derailleurs back and forth.

    L. D. Lide

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, NeauDL <[email protected]> wrote:
    >After struggling up Mt. Mitchell yesterday, I'm thinking of putting on a mountain cassette for my
    >next steep ride. If I put an XT rear derailleur on the roadbike to allow for a 12-34 cassette in
    >the mountains, would I have problems with poor shifting using a 12-25 or 12-27 when not in the
    >mountains?

    I wouldn't say poor, but the difference is that when the cassette is smaller, the MTB derailleur's
    top pulley will be farther away from the cogs, farther than necessary. As the segment of chain
    between the cog and the top derailleur pulley shortens, you tend to get crisper shifting. But using
    an XT derailleur on a 12-25 or 12-27 would not give "poor" shifting - it would be quite satisfactory
    in my opinion. It just wouldn't be as close to the cogs as a road derailleur. The alternative would
    be to run a Shimano road triple rear derailleur (long cage) but my experience is that they don't do
    well on a 34t big cog, whereas the MTB derailleur will work great on that.

    --Paul

  3. "NeauDL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > After struggling up Mt. Mitchell yesterday, I'm thinking of putting on a mountain cassette for my
    > next steep ride. If I put an XT rear
    derailleur on
    > the roadbike to allow for a 12-34 cassette in the mountains, would I have problems with poor
    > shifting using a 12-25 or 12-27 when not in the
    mountains?
    > I can switch cassettes myself in only a couple of minutes but don't want
    to be
    > switching derailleurs back and forth.
    >
    > L. D. Lide

    I use an XT rear der with a 11-32 cassette and Ultegra everything else for just the same reasons
    that you state, hills. Big hills. It works great. I have a second wheelset with the 12-27 cassette
    that I switch back and forth. The shifting is still good. Not quite as crisp as with the Ultegra
    rear der, but then I'm climbing big hills, not racing a crit. In my experience, if properly
    adjusted, the shifting is never poor.

  4. Bill Kingson

    Bill Kingson Guest

    On 18 May 2003 20:06:23 GMT, [email protected] (NeauDL) wrote:

    " If I put an XT rear derailleur on the roadbike to allow for a 12-34 cassette in the mountains,
    would I have problems with poor shifting using a 12-25 or 12-27 when not in the mountains? I can
    switch cassettes myself in only a couple of minutes but don't want to be switching derailleurs back
    and forth".

    I just put a Deore SGS long derailer on my road bike when I switched to triple cranks. It shifts
    very well, though not quite as crisp as the old short derailer. I don't know if that's because of
    the installation, adjustment, or size of the derailer. I'm happy with it.

    You also might need a longer chain to go with the longer derailer and larger cassette.

    The derailer should be able to take up enough chain on the smaller cassette as long as you stay away
    from using your small chainwheel with your smaller rear cogs.

    OTOH, if you used SRAM chains with the "Power Link" (reusable master link), it should be pretty easy
    to change the the derailer and chain when you swap out your cassette. Based on my limited
    experience, the shorter cage derailer should shift a little crisper with your smaller cassette.
    Changing all three (derailer, chain, and cassette) together would optimize both configurations.

    My 2ยข

    Bill Kingson Caribou, Maine