Mountain versus road bike

Mike L

Guest
I'm training for my first tri in July. I'm currently making about 16mph on my Trek 4300 with
semi-slicks (I've only been biking a few weeks). I want to do about 18mph for my goal time. I was
thinking of just putting on some road tyres for the race, but was wondering how much more time/speed
I might pick up if I actually rented a road bike. Anybody informed opinions about this?

Thanks. Mike L

"Mike L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm training for my first tri in July. I'm currently making about 16mph on
my
> Trek 4300 with semi-slicks (I've only been biking a few weeks). I want to
do
> about 18mph for my goal time. I was thinking of just putting on some road tyres for the race, but
> was wondering how much more time/speed I might
pick up
> if I actually rented a road bike. Anybody informed opinions about this?

I'm similar to you - training for first tri, started using MB with slicks. Have just bought a road
bike and the difference is fantastic - so much faster especially on the aero bars. Also, I was
finding MB in a streamlined position hard work on the arms. Definitely worth renting or borrowing or
even buying. The longer the race, the greater the benefit of course.

Did you ever try slicks on your MB?

(Mike L) wrote:

> I'm training for my first tri in July. I'm currently making about 16mph on my Trek 4300 with
> semi-slicks (I've only been biking a few weeks). I want to do about 18mph for my goal time. I was
> thinking of just putting on some road tyres for the race, but was wondering how much more
> time/speed I might pick up if I actually rented a road bike. Anybody informed opinions about this?
>
> Thanks. Mike L

hi Mike,

i know that a road bike will be faster for you, but if you opt to stick with your mountain bike, you
can improve things with slicks. i rode my first tri on a mountain-road hybrid (sorta)... more of a
road bike in a mountain bike style. i put slicks on it, some upright handlebar ends to provide at
least some variation in hand positions while riding/tucking, and stripped off the unnecessary junk,
like kickstand, etc. by race day, it nearly looked like a racing bike!

it just depends what your goal is for your first tri... just to finish and have fun, or to really
seriously burn up the roads. i was somewhere in between. after your first tri or two, you/I can
consider another faster bike.

Cam

[email protected] (Mike L) wrote:

>I'm training for my first tri in July. I'm currently making about 16mph on my Trek 4300 with
>semi-slicks (I've only been biking a few weeks). I want to do about 18mph for my goal time. I was
>thinking of just putting on some road tyres for the race, but was wondering how much more
>time/speed I might pick up if I actually rented a road bike. Anybody informed opinions about this?

The answer depends on a lot of variables. I did a tough 40km time trial on a MTB once, and was
probably only ~1.5mph (2km/h) slower than I would have been on my time trial bike. But I DID
have some pretty "hot" MTB wheels (deep rims, 18/24 skinny spokes) - but the event organizers
insisted on only flat bars with bar ends (so I had to leave my beloved Scott AT4-Pro
multiposition bars at home).

I'd say realistically without special wheels, you could expect to increase your speed about 1mph /
1.6km/h when switching from a MTB with slicks to a road bike - assuming you can get into a
reasonably stretched out position on the MTB, of course.

I wouldnt buy slicks. If this is your first tri than finishing should be your only goal. You can
finish on freeride tyres if you really want to. If you stay with triathlon and speed gets an issue,
you will need a dedicated road and later triathlon bike. Your speed goals are no good idea either.
For your first race concentrate on perceived effort and fun - not on times. What will you do if its
a terribly hot race and you finish at 17mph feeling great? Be sad because you failed?

The slicks are only wast of money and show a wrong focus. Upgrading your mountainbike is simply a
waste of time, effort and money. Use it to finish you first tris and if you stay with triathlon
buy a "real" bike. Than you mountainbike will be a great training tool and you will never need
slicks on it.

Just my opinion...

I was kind of leaning this way myself. The ride is decent on my continetal semis. On the other hand,
it is only $55 to change them up to slicks, so even a 1mph "free" gain might be worth that much....
Thanks very much for your feedback.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Theodor Seiz) wrote:
>I wouldnt buy slicks. If this is your first tri than finishing should be your only goal. You can
>finish on freeride tyres if you really want to. If you stay with triathlon and speed gets an issue,
>you will need a dedicated road and later triathlon bike. Your speed goals are no good idea either.
>For your first race concentrate on perceived effort and fun - not on times. What will you do if its
>a terribly hot race and you finish at 17mph feeling great? Be sad because you failed?
>

>The slicks are only wast of money and show a wrong focus. Upgrading your mountainbike is simply a
>waste of time, effort and money. Use it to finish you first tris and if you stay with triathlon
>buy a "real" bike. Than you mountainbike will be a great training tool and you will never need
>slicks on it.
>
>Just my opinion...

Thanks Mark. Appreciate the info. In article <[email protected]>, Mark
Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>The answer depends on a lot of variables. I did a tough 40km time trial on a MTB once, and was
>probably only ~1.5mph (2km/h) slower than I would have been on my time trial bike. But I DID
>have some pretty "hot" MTB wheels (deep rims, 18/24 skinny spokes) - but the event organizers
>insisted on only flat bars with bar ends (so I had to leave my beloved Scott AT4-Pro
>multiposition bars at home).
>
>I'd say realistically without special wheels, you could expect to increase your speed about 1mph /
>1.6km/h when switching from a MTB with slicks to a road bike - assuming you can get into a
>reasonably stretched out position on the MTB, of course.
>
>Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

[email protected] (Mike L) wrote:

>I was kind of leaning this way myself. The ride is decent on my continetal semis. On the other
>hand, it is only $55 to change them up to slicks, so even a 1mph "free" gain might be worth that
>much.... Thanks very much for your feedback.

You won't have to spend that much. There are some very nice slick MTB tires out there to be had for
less than that (if you can find 'em). Tires like the Panaracer Pasela or High Road, Ritchey Tom
Slick, and Tioga City Slicker.

Having a set of slicks for your MTB makes it a very versatile "city bike" (and it's always fun to
chase other riders on road bikes).

>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Theodor Seiz) wrote:
>>I wouldnt buy slicks. If this is your first tri than finishing should be your only goal. You can
>>finish on freeride tyres if you really want to. If you stay with triathlon and speed gets an
>>issue, you will need a dedicated road and later triathlon bike. Your speed goals are no good idea
>>either. For your first race concentrate on perceived effort and fun - not on times. What will you
>>do if its a terribly hot race and you finish at 17mph feeling great? Be sad because you failed?
>>

>>The slicks are only wast of money and show a wrong focus. Upgrading your mountainbike is simply a
>>waste of time, effort and money. Use it to finish you first tris and if you stay with triathlon
>>buy a "real" bike. Than you mountainbike will be a great training tool and you will never need
>>slicks on it.
>>
>>Just my opinion...

It's actually $55 cdn, that's like $10 US or something....<g>

In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>You won't have to spend that much. There are some very nice slick MTB tires out there to be had for
>less than that (if you can find 'em). Tires like the Panaracer Pasela or High Road, Ritchey Tom
>Slick, and Tioga City Slicker.
>
>Having a set of slicks for your MTB makes it a very versatile "city bike" (and it's always fun to
>chase other riders on road bikes).
>
>Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame
>
>>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Theodor Seiz) wrote:
>>>I wouldnt buy slicks. If this is your first tri than finishing should be your only goal. You can
>>>finish on freeride tyres if you really want to. If you stay with triathlon and speed gets an
>>>issue, you will need a dedicated road and later triathlon bike. Your speed goals are no good idea
>>>either. For your first race concentrate on perceived effort and fun - not on times. What will you
>>>do if its a terribly hot race and you finish at 17mph feeling great? Be sad because you failed?
>>>

>>>The slicks are only wast of money and show a wrong focus. Upgrading your mountainbike is simply a
>>>waste of time, effort and money. Use it to finish you first tris and if you stay with triathlon
>>>buy a "real" bike. Than you mountainbike will be a great training tool and you will never need
>>>slicks on it.
>>>
>>>Just my opinion...

Yes but I still find the road bike easier to ride - getting streamlined is so much easier. Not worth
spending the money though until you have made up your mind.

"Mike L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Did you ever try slicks on your MB?
>
> In article <[email protected]>, "Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I'm similar to you - training for first tri, started using MB with
slicks.
> >Have just bought a road bike and the difference is fantastic - so much faster especially on the
> >aero bars. Also, I was finding MB in a
streamlined
> >position hard work on the arms. Definitely worth renting or borrowing or even buying. The longer
> >the race, the greater the benefit of course.
> >

> In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >You won't have to spend that much. There are some very nice slick MTB tires out there to be had
> >for less than that (if you can find 'em). Tires like the Panaracer Pasela or High Road, Ritchey
> >Tom Slick, and Tioga City Slicker.
> >
> >Having a set of slicks for your MTB makes it a very versatile "city bike" (and it's always fun to
> >chase other riders on road bikes).
> >
> >Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

hey, i passed plenty of people on road bikes with my mtb with slicks... in my recent, first tri. i
think that in some cases, it less about the bike and more about the person ON the bike. i was really
into the race, while some folks were just piddling about or having trouble using the gears
correctly.

just my 2 cents,

Cam

"Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote in news:D[email protected]:

> "Mike L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I'm training for my first tri in July. I'm currently making about 16mph on
> my
>> Trek 4300 with semi-slicks (I've only been biking a few weeks). I want to
> do
>> about 18mph for my goal time. I was thinking of just putting on some road tyres for the race, but
>> was wondering how much more time/speed I might
> pick up
>> if I actually rented a road bike. Anybody informed opinions about this?
>
> I'm similar to you - training for first tri, started using MB with slicks. Have just bought a road
> bike and the difference is fantastic - so much faster especially on the aero bars. Also, I was
> finding MB in a streamlined position hard work on the arms. Definitely worth renting or borrowing
> or even buying. The longer the race, the greater the benefit of course.

I wouldn't recommend renting a bike just for the race. Never change anything on race day. If you're
going to race on a rented bike, train on the EXACT same rented bike.

1mph on rolling resistance? Not realisitic, your position and aero resistance stays the same and
that accounts for more than 80% of total resistance (with mechanic resistance being second and
rolling resistance only 5%).