Mountain Vs. Road pedals for a road bike

"Booker C. Bense"
<[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]

[...]

> _ That's the big difference in my experience between Eggbeaters
> and SPD's. If you pull hard enough you can rip straight out
> of SPD's, but you can't with eggbeaters. You have to twist
> to release. It took me a few rides and falls to unlearn my SPD habits.
> In my case once the "twist to release" became an unthinking habit I
> stopped having problems. If you've been riding SPD's a long time
> and switch to eggbeaters this is something to keep in mind.

Which do you prefer and why?

--

A: Top-posters.

I couldn't pull straight out of my Wellgo pedals, I've tried several
times (usually right before I fell over). That got tired quick. I'm
currently using shimano pedals with multi release cleats (55's?) and I
have had them pop loose once or twice, but I can always get out. I have
324's on my street bike and although they aren't trendy or light, they
do give me a lot of options.

Steve.

SuperSlinky <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> [...]

> That is one thing that scares me about Time and Eggbeater type
> mechanisms. If your foot doesn't somehow get to the release angle, the
> pedal may not disengage in a fall. I'm still not completely sold on
> clipless for off-road. Racers may need them, but I'm not so sure about
> the rest of us.

I use the candy SL eggbeaters, (eggbeaters with platform). As with all
clipless systems, they are more convienent than straps. It seems that
whenever I wipe out in the woods while wearing eggbeaters, my foot
happens to rotate in the fall enough to disengage the pedal. If not,
then the bike just stays between my legs as I hit the dirt on my side.
I've never had an endo but I like to think that feet would just come
out of shoes in a really violent mishap (like in car vs pedestrian
accidents). I admit that is wishful thinking-- as every wipe-out has
different diabolical circumstances.

The only other bad thing about eggbeaters (besides uncomprimising
release angle) that people have reported is that they will disengage
if the bottom-side of the pedal wacks a rock or log-- usually not a
problem on road bike rides.

The egg beater style is nice because...

1) No adjustment needed other than the cleat position on shoes.
2) Pedals function in spite of mud
3) Smooth form: less likely to cause more than a bruise when they meet
shins.
4) Smart design: the brass cleats wear out rather than stainless
pedals.
5) Maintenance is as easy or easier on eggbeaters than other types of
pedals
6) Cleats are compatible with SPD type shoes, you walk normally.

I don't know about "q-factor", but I reckon that the variation of
human body leg spacing is significantly greater than a few
millimeters. So, its probably best to just use whatever pedal system
is most comfortable and easy.

-H.