Mountain Weather



P

Paul Richardson

Guest
First practical test of the Geoff Monk weather site for me this past weekend in Scotland - it gave
superbly accurate conditions forecasts. Sunday especially, got the location of the brightest weather
spot-on (SE of Lochaber) and also described exactly the visibility we had - bright sunshine, with
clear visibility only limited in places by blowing snow.

Let's hope the site becomes permanent - it's only experimental at present.

Paul Leigh Lancs
 
K

Kro

Guest
"Paul Richardson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> First practical test of the Geoff Monk weather site for me this past weekend in Scotland - it gave
> superbly accurate conditions forecasts. Sunday especially, got the location of the brightest
> weather spot-on (SE of Lochaber) and also described exactly the visibility we had - bright
> sunshine, with clear visibility only limited in places by blowing snow.
>
> Let's hope the site becomes permanent - it's only experimental at present.
>
It was wrong for NW Highlands yesterday!

KRO
 
K

Kro

Guest
"KRO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Paul Richardson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > First practical test of the Geoff Monk weather site for me this past weekend in Scotland - it
> > gave superbly accurate conditions forecasts. Sunday especially, got the location of the
> > brightest weather spot-on (SE of Lochaber) and also described exactly the visibility we had -
> > bright sunshine, with clear visibility only limited in places by blowing snow.
> >
> > Let's hope the site becomes permanent - it's only experimental at present.
> >
> It was wrong for NW Highlands yesterday!
>
I think I should expand a little on the above comment. The site over stated the wind, rain and I
would say understated the temperature. Nothing major though. I also hope the site becomes permanent,
it has become my main source for moutain weather forecasts. I do believe this may become a
subscription service, and I think I'll be subscribing (cost dependent of course).

KRO
 
P

Paul Richardson

Guest
>>
>I think I should expand a little on the above comment. The site over stated the wind, rain and I
>would say understated the temperature. Nothing major though. I also hope the site becomes
>permanent, it has become my main source for moutain weather forecasts. I do believe this may become
>a subscription service, and I think I'll be subscribing (cost dependent of course).
>
>KRO
>

People were saying at the bunkhouse at the weekend that he tends to err on the side of caution with
his % chance of cloud-free Munros etc.

It would be a pity if it becomes subscription - not really worth it for southerners like me who only
get to the highlands 2 or most 3 times a year.

Paul Leigh Lancs
 
K

Kro

Guest
"Paul Richardson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> People were saying at the bunkhouse at the weekend that he tends to err on the side of caution
> with his % chance of cloud-free Munros etc.

That could be a problem if you're likely to cancel a walk due to a weather forecast. Having said
that no-ones perfect, forecasting suggests educated guesswork.
>
> It would be a pity if it becomes subscription - not really worth it for southerners like me who
> only get to the highlands 2 or most 3 times a year.
>

Oh I'm sure a vague query hereabouts would get you a discreet reply from a subscriber ......

KRO