Mountain Weather

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Paul Richardson, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. First practical test of the Geoff Monk weather site for me this past weekend in Scotland - it gave
    superbly accurate conditions forecasts. Sunday especially, got the location of the brightest weather
    spot-on (SE of Lochaber) and also described exactly the visibility we had - bright sunshine, with
    clear visibility only limited in places by blowing snow.

    Let's hope the site becomes permanent - it's only experimental at present.

    Paul Leigh Lancs

    Tags:

  2. Kro

    Kro Guest

    "Paul Richardson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > First practical test of the Geoff Monk weather site for me this past weekend in Scotland - it gave
    > superbly accurate conditions forecasts. Sunday especially, got the location of the brightest
    > weather spot-on (SE of Lochaber) and also described exactly the visibility we had - bright
    > sunshine, with clear visibility only limited in places by blowing snow.
    >
    > Let's hope the site becomes permanent - it's only experimental at present.

    It was wrong for NW Highlands yesterday!

    KRO

  3. Kro

    Kro Guest

    "KRO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Paul Richardson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > First practical test of the Geoff Monk weather site for me this past weekend in Scotland - it
    > > gave superbly accurate conditions forecasts. Sunday especially, got the location of the
    > > brightest weather spot-on (SE of Lochaber) and also described exactly the visibility we had -
    > > bright sunshine, with clear visibility only limited in places by blowing snow.
    > >
    > > Let's hope the site becomes permanent - it's only experimental at present.
    > >
    > It was wrong for NW Highlands yesterday!

    I think I should expand a little on the above comment. The site over stated the wind, rain and I
    would say understated the temperature. Nothing major though. I also hope the site becomes permanent,
    it has become my main source for moutain weather forecasts. I do believe this may become a
    subscription service, and I think I'll be subscribing (cost dependent of course).

    KRO

  4. >>
    >I think I should expand a little on the above comment. The site over stated the wind, rain and I
    >would say understated the temperature. Nothing major though. I also hope the site becomes
    >permanent, it has become my main source for moutain weather forecasts. I do believe this may become
    >a subscription service, and I think I'll be subscribing (cost dependent of course).
    >
    >KRO

    People were saying at the bunkhouse at the weekend that he tends to err on the side of caution with
    his % chance of cloud-free Munros etc.

    It would be a pity if it becomes subscription - not really worth it for southerners like me who only
    get to the highlands 2 or most 3 times a year.

    Paul Leigh Lancs

  5. Kro

    Kro Guest

    "Paul Richardson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > People were saying at the bunkhouse at the weekend that he tends to err on the side of caution
    > with his % chance of cloud-free Munros etc.

    That could be a problem if you're likely to cancel a walk due to a weather forecast. Having said
    that no-ones perfect, forecasting suggests educated guesswork.

    > It would be a pity if it becomes subscription - not really worth it for southerners like me who
    > only get to the highlands 2 or most 3 times a year.

    Oh I'm sure a vague query hereabouts would get you a discreet reply from a subscriber ......

    KRO