mountainbiking for fitness

cyclingchick

Nov 15, 2009
I am going to use my mountainbike for fitness training. Not a great time to start though, but that is no excuse! I love to mountainbike, I have trails just outside my house. It is easy to switch from road to bikelane or trail. I would love to do more as a sport though. I actually am not a fanatic rider on trails like jumps and so. I love the variety of trails but am too scared to go on those special bike jumps, roots and so on. I would like to do somehting more serious, like training for something so I keep myself motivated. But what mtb clubs are there when you dont like those jumps? Or do I switch to a roadbike, is that another alternative? Hope you understand, I am new, just love to bike but want to add that little extra to it.

cyclingchick said:
I am going to use my mountainbike for fitness training. Not a great time to start though, but that is no excuse! I love to mountainbike, I have trails just outside my house. It is easy to switch from road to bikelane or trail. I would love to do more as a sport though. I actually am not a fanatic rider on trails like jumps and so. I love the variety of trails but am too scared to go on those special bike jumps, roots and so on. I would like to do somehting more serious, like training for something so I keep myself motivated. But what mtb clubs are there when you dont like those jumps? Or do I switch to a roadbike, is that another alternative? Hope you understand, I am new, just love to bike but want to add that little extra to it.

Sounds you should love cyclocross! get a crossbike, great for all terrains!

you can do both. Where I live I swap between mtb for commuting and road bike for fitness for example. I bought my mtb for a touring trip on gravel roads 2 years ago, which im planning to repeat next year

Road biking is good but I agree Mountain biking is a lot more fun. I love the technical sections mixed in with the good uphill grinds and the flying downhills.

Eugene

.., mountain biking is indeed a great stuff for fitness.. :) not to mention that it is fun.. helps you to have leisure and good health as well.. hoping to be with some of the members here in biking.. :)

cyclingchick said:
Oh, how lucky to have trails close by. Road-biking and mountain-biking are both excellent for cardio-vascular fitness. When riding trails, you don't have to do every section. Walk the ones you don't yet have the skills for. You can gradually add sections as you become more confident. One day you might want to get a road bike to add more variety.

your idea is good mate but is this a completely innovative idea for your fitness.. I dont think so because of it is not at all targetting all your body parts.. Just think about it again though.