MountainUnicycling.us

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by teachndad, Aug 16, 2004.

  1. teachndad

    teachndad Guest

    I wanted to post about my new website: 'MountainUnicycling.us'
    (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)

    I live in the Los Angeles area and I wanted to do something to support
    MUni in the area. So, my website highlights some trails. I put together
    a list of some of the trails that I have ridden and posted them on a
    page on the website. Each trail has a brief description, getting there
    section, and a simple “at a glance” rating. The trails page can be
    reached 'HERE' (http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn) Some trails only have
    descriptions and no photos, yet.

    Most of the trails are linked to a gallery 'Greater Los Angeles Trails'
    (http://tinyurl.com/4otql), so the rider can view parts of the trail to
    get a better “idea” as to what the trail might be like. Each album has
    a link back to the favorite trails webpage for easy reference. The
    gallery includes images from various rides around greater Los Angeles
    and Ventura County. It includes:
    The West Valley - 3 trails,
    Angeles Forest - 1 trail,
    West LA - 1 trials area,
    Ventura County - 1 trail.

    My hope is that other riders in the LA area will contribute to both the
    gallery and the website with descriptions, so there will be a resource
    for any level rider to view when looking for a new trail. I will have
    the website address and favorite trails page as part of my sigline,
    also. If you want to help, contact me at teachndad(at)aol(dot)com.

    I will have MountainUnicycling.us on the back window of my car in large
    letters to advertise the site to the general public. I drive across the
    San Fernando Valley floor 3 to 4 times a week. I hope that will give
    it some coverage and maybe pull in some interested people into the
    sport.

    Thanks to Michael Grant for helping out with the links and Josh
    Schoolcraft for giving me the idea to explore Angeles Forest and
    contribute a trail description for Josephine/Strawberry Peak. Also,
    thanks to Kevin Gilby for making it all possible.

    Comments, Questions?

    --
    teachndad - aka The Munieer

    Rod Wylie

    'MountainUnicycling.us' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images' (http://tinyurl.com/4otql)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
    (http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)

    teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

  2. Rod, that's an excellent idea. I like the website, concise yet
    informative. The color on your Wilder looks so much darker in the
    picture. In case your wondering, I got a peek at it while Scott had it
    down here :D

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

  3. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    That's great, a site for MUni people in the LA area! With such a huge
    population down there, it's sure to be a resource not only for
    unicyclists, but can be for bicyclists as well. Surely if people find
    it, it will help bring more trail riders to you. Be sure to mention in
    obvious places that you want feedback and more trail info from
    readers.

    Web notes:
    The picture on the homepage by Eyal is 404 KB in size. That's ten times
    as big as the one above it. Photos you display on the web should be
    shown at actual size (the actual size is larger than what you put on the
    page), and not such large file sizes. A photo that size, depending on
    how complex the image, should be around 35 KB or so.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "Read the rules!"
    'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
    'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

  4. That's a fantastic site, great work! It might be worth noting that
    'album123' in the gallery is just the storage space for all the content
    at www.unicycle.2ya.com . www.unicycle.2ya.com (a joint project between
    Peter van Boekhout and I) is finally starting to fill out in the
    non-trials sections.

    Thanks a lot for the link, do you mind if we link to your site on
    unicycle.2ya.com?

    And one very minor correction - you misspelled 'cpntact' at the bottom
    of each page.

    A very impressive and helpful site!

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - Quit jivin' me, turkey!

    carter.andrew (at) gmail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com

  5. vivalargo

    vivalargo Guest

    Hey,

    I've been keeping notes on all the local single tracks we've been
    bashing over the last 6 months here in the Santa Monica (LA)mountains,
    and will try and round them into a submission in the next month or so.

    What's interesting about these trails is that unless there's some
    phantom Munier we've never seen, all of these are first descents (on a
    MUni), which is something worth keeping track of, much as they do in the
    rock climbing and kayaking world.

    JL

    --
    vivalargo
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

  6. S_Wallis

    S_Wallis Guest

    Rod, it's good to see you did something constructive on your summer
    vacation. That should be a useful site and hopefully you will get many
    contributions to it.

    Give Rod a break on the mispelling, he is only a school teacher, after
    all. ;)

    Scott

    --
    S_Wallis - MUni Motivated

    "Don't neglect your knees! They're really useful." Words of wisdom from
    Cyberbellum

    "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
    how to do it." Pablo Picasso
    S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

  7. unibiker

    unibiker Guest

    Great site Rod! I bet it drums up a lot of riding buddies. Looks kinda
    tempting. I'll have to add it to my wish list of places to visit.
    Haven't ridden out there in almost 20 years.

    --
    unibiker - What is that thing anyway?

    Jeff Baker
    [email protected]

    MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!!! > > > > 'Unibiker's Photo Gallery'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albun01)
    unibiker's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/473

  8. teachndad

    teachndad Guest

    Thanks for all the comments, gentlemen. It’s appreciated. I want to
    write a full response, but I am leaving for a two day trip to San Diego
    and Legoland today with my family. I will respond more fully on
    Thursday.

    But, I have to respond quickly to Andrews comment:

    -"And one very minor correction - you misspelled 'cpntact' at the bottom
    of each page." -

    My response:

    …Andrew gets a point for table 4!

    Good job Andrew, I was really just checking to see if anyone would
    notice.;)

    --
    teachndad - aka The Munieer

    Rod Wylie

    'MountainUnicycling.us' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images' (http://tinyurl.com/4otql)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
    (http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)

    teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

  9. merrill

    merrill Guest

    Rod, Great site. I like your trail descriptions. I'd really like to
    come out there around Jan Feb when the weather is at it's worst on the
    east coast. Maybe we can do a big group ride then.

    Joe

    --
    merrill - Gabba Gabba Hey

    The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for
    entrepreneur. Dubya - July 10, 2003.

    merrill's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/818

  10. teachndad

    teachndad Guest

    Thanks for the support, gentlemen. It helps me feel like all the work
    was worthwhile.

    I’m glad John mentioned the second image. I thought that it might be
    too large and slow down the loading of the webpage. I’ll either take it
    our, or resize it, if I can figure out how to do that. The images were
    taken with two different camaras.

    Andrew,
    By all means, add the link. Thanks.

    > I've been keeping notes on all the local single tracks we've been
    > bashing over the last 6 months here in the Santa Monica (LA)mountains,
    > and will try and round them into a submission in the next month or so.

    JL,
    It wold be great if you could submit descriptions. I’ll gladly put them
    up and reference you as author, as I would do with all submissions.

    First descents could be listed with the trail descriptions. I can do
    that with the submissions. Only thing is, there might just be some
    phantom Muniers out there. I know there is or used to be a rider in
    Simi Valley and in one of my searches, made reference to riding up in
    China Flat, which means there is someone out there we don’t know
    anything about. Also, the guy who bought the trials obstacles from the
    producers of the TV show that did the balance experiments with Kris Holm
    is out there too. He is here in the Valley. Unfortunately, I emailed and
    PM’d both of them at the beginning of the summer and got no response.
    It blows my mind that in a city with over 2 million people, only John
    (screen name - vivalargo) and I are the only MUni riders that I know
    of.

    A friend of mine who lives in Topanga Canyon says he saw someone with a
    MUni last year pulling a MUni out of a white pickup truck near the
    entrance to Topanga Canyon State Park and also saw "some kid” riding a
    Muni in the Topanga Canyon Memorial Day Parade. There’s gotta be more
    of us but we don’t know about each other. Arrrgh!

    On a side note, Josh Schoolcraft(screen name - entropy), was here from
    Maine working at Cal Tech for the summer and I loaned him my old MUni.
    He’s lovin it, and once back in Maine, in two days, will purchase a
    MUni.

    > I'd really like to come out there around Jan Feb when the weather is
    > at it's worst on the east coast. Maybe we can do a big group ride
    > then.

    Joe,
    Hey, great to hear from you. Joe, “Come on Down!” If you want a large
    group, then I can set you up with the Santa Barbara MUni Crew. They are
    about 90 minutes north of where I live. There is some great riding up
    there. Keep in mind, contrary to the song, it does rain in California.
    January can be rainy, but it can also be quite pleasant, too.
    __________________

    After I finished this project, I figured out I could set up a different
    web page for each geographic area just like I did in the gallery. So, I
    may do that and include links to the other geographic area webpages on
    the main favorite trails page. Freewebs.com allocates 7 pages for free,
    which would be enough to do that. For convenience, I may put in a
    printing link, so that it would be more user friendly to print out
    descriptions of specific trails.

    --
    teachndad - aka The Munieer

    Rod Wylie

    'MountainUnicycling.us' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images' (http://tinyurl.com/4otql)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
    (http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)

    teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

  11. BoojiBoy

    BoojiBoy Guest

    teachndad wrote:
    > *
    > On a side note, Josh Schoolcraft(screen name - entropy), was here
    > from Maine working at Cal Tech for the summer and I loaned him my old
    > MUni. He’s lovin it, and once back in Maine, in two days, will
    > purchase a MUni.
    > *

    Awesome. I know Schooler. So THAT's where he's been. I've had no one to
    ride with here in Maine all summer.

    In regards to your website and images: Everything online is displayed at
    72dpi, so if you take the resolution down to 72, it makes it a lot
    smaller and you wont notice a difference in quality on your page.

    If it's a photo, save it as a jpeg, if it's a text banner or something
    with solid flat colours, save it as a gif.

    --
    BoojiBoy - Punk Rock Rider

    www.skawabunga.tk
    www.purevolume.com/skawabunga
    www.epluribusfunk.tk
    gallery.unicyclist.com/epluribusfunk
    BoojiBoy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3923

  12. entropy

    entropy Guest

    I gotta give Rod a huge thanks for letting me use the MUni. It was an
    all-around excellent experience, definately got me completely hooked on
    MUni.

    I'm back at school now, gearing up for one last year of undergrad.

    I met someone at the Jet Propulsion Lab who rode MUni (a Pashley). He
    said that he had ridden the trails behind JPL about a year ago, but had
    since hung up his wheel. Of course, I totally forgot his name.

    --
    entropy - life in balance
    entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

  13. entropy wrote:
    > *I gotta give Rod a huge thanks for letting me use the MUni. It was
    > an all-around excellent experience, definately got me completely
    > hooked on MUni.
    >
    > I'm back at school now, gearing up for one last year of undergrad.
    >
    > I met someone at the Jet Propulsion Lab who rode MUni (a Pashley). He
    > said that he had ridden the trails behind JPL about a year ago, but
    > had since hung up his wheel. Of course, I totally forgot his name. *

    While on UCSC I met 2 muni riders plus about 15 other people who could
    ride. And I was only there for a month.

    Rod: Your site rocks! I really liked the chart for trail descriptions,
    although it'd be nice if you'd quantify what beginner, intermediate,
    advanced, and expert mean. Also, a few small notes, you had a typo on
    the links page. Your finger must've slipped and you put an "n" into "my
    own page" so it reads "mynown page". Also, the first picture on the
    homepage doesn't load for me and fianlly, on the links page, you may
    want to add an apostraphe to "Sofas reviews page," so that it reads
    "Sofa's reviews page." Or not, I'm just being nit-picky.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown
    out?

    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful. They will stop at nothing
    to hurt us and our people, and nethier will we"-Dubya
    Vote Kerry. Yeah, they both suck, but Kerry sucks less.