Mountian Bike Lights

mikep

Aug 31, 2003
I am going on my first night ride though the hills of Perth. Can anyone suggest a resonable set of lights for around $ 80.00. Most of the ones ive seen are around $ 160. I dont want to spend any more incase we dont go again.

Originally posted by mikep
I am going on my first night ride though the hills of Perth. Can anyone suggest a resonable set of lights for around $ 80.00. Most of the ones ive seen are around $ 160. I dont want to spend any more incase we dont go again.

I would recommend making your. You can either trawl through the 'Fat hippy' website which has lots of links to home made lights or just do it yourself.. it ain't rocket science .

It'll be difficult to find a good set of offroad night lights for AU$100 (unless you find them on sale) .. DIY will get you the best bang for buck for that money.

$160-180 seems to be the general starting point for a basic (read: heavy) Cateye Daylite Twin 10+10W rechargable unit with a lead acid battery.

This is probably the closest you're going to get to $100 for a premade set (10+2.4W rechargable systems):

http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/Content.asp?S=Details @ID=836

http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/Content.asp?S=Details @ID=1301

I bought a set of twin smart lights from Mercers in Freo for $125 last year for the Jarradale 12hr. they have a 6 volt , sealed lead acid battery with 5watt and 10watt wide angle and spot beams. I upgraded the 5watt wide angle to 10watt they were great. I then made my own helmet mounted light using a sealed 12v mr16 halogen 12degree sealed globe, some pvc pipe, a switch and either a sealed lead acid battery(min 4.2amphr) or if you’ve got some dosh rechareable NiMH batteries . A pack of 10AA ,1.2v 1.8amphr will last at least about 1hour 20minutes and are very compact and light. Just make sure you charge them correctly.

Thanks for your help. We are actually doing our night ride on the jarradale 12 hour track. I found a good light at a camping shop $50.00. It designed to be worn on your head, however i have adapted it to mount on the handle bars and the battering pack fits onto the waterbottle carrier. It is a halogen with high/low beam, ajustable wide/spot beam and has a running time of 30 hours low and 6 hours high beam.

Ok here are my ideas

1. Night riding is awesome and once you try it i bet you will go again and again

2. You should have your main light on your head not your bars cause you won't be able to see round the corners if the light is on the bars. I run a 10W head with 5W bar light

3. I got a set of Vistalites with the 10+5 for $110 Aus by ordering them from overseas, then you have to scrounge for a charger that will do the same voltage and amperage with an aussie plug (US one is 110v)

4. You could also buy a vistalite lamp on its own and make your own battery packs and cords, I did this for the 24 hr and instead of $100 a pack i made 7 packs for $35 each, if you want details just ask