Mountian Bike Shoes

Leon

Oct 31, 2002
Ok so my Roadie is getting a friend in 3 weeks time. I have ordered a Mountian Bike that will come with clipless pedals.

What do I look for when buying mountian bike shoes ?
Any recommendations ?

Leon

depends on how serious you are

you can get comfy shoes that let you walk around heaps or you can get really stiff ones with extra studs and stuff on them for racing

personally i like a stiff shoe with good rubber grip and replaceable metal studs on the front for grip, you really appreciate the studs in the mud even if they sound funny on tiles and stuff

check out some of the shimano shoes, i've got some of their sport/comp shoes and they work pretty well

for casual shoes check out canondale and lake

Thanks for the reply.

The terrain is pretty much rock and sand around here not much rain or mud for that matter. So the studs probably won't make much sense.

I am really tempted by the hiking lookalike shoe that will allow you to walk as well but must admit I have not seen to many people wearing them. This would suggest that there is a bit of a catch.

Will be racing(recreationally) a bit so should probably look at a stiffer sole.

Leon

Hi Leon

Personally I use Diadora Jalapenos, and find them excellent. Not to pricey either. They've saved my heel from being sliced open by a broken bottle bottom standing up with "horrible" glass spikes sticking out of it. They outer skin of the shoe looked like a razor had been used on it, but the stiff stuff inside the material took no strain at all. Also heard a story about someone in the UK, who had a big truck knock him off and go over his foot while he was on his side and his foot was only bruised.
Sold me on them anyway!!! You can also walk in them ok!