Mounting A Backpack To Bicycle

defeattheapexbat

Jul 4, 2015
I have a large Ortleib backpack (1800 cubic inches) that I ride with every day loaded with stuff I need.
The bag is very comfortable on my back, but I've discovered that wearing this bag may be contributing towards pain and numbness in the Perineum area.
I'd like to try riding without weight on my back. Rather than getting a set of panniers (which would be 2 smaller bags, and less convenient to walk around with when I'm off the bike), I'd like to find a way to mount my Ortleib backpack on the bicycle itself. I've thought about trying to mount it on a rear rack, however that would probably create an unbalanced riding situation to have 20-25 pounds only on one side of the rack. I would appreciate some advice on how to make this work (is possible).

Reactions: haleylx4
A front or rear basket seems like a good idea to me, too. There are many removable front baskets available that, when not in use, can be removed and just leave a clip on the handlebars.

milk crate on back rack came to mind. just a big bucket you can drop the pack into, you know?

When I read the title of this thread I thought you were a hiker who wanted to ride to a trail, and then hike with your pack, and then ride home. I thought this was a great idea...and still do, but of course this isn't your intent.

You've given me an idea though...combining two passions--thanks

Putting it on top of a rack, like a trunk bag could work... just rig up a wider platform (possibly plywood) connected with screws or cable ties, and strap the pack on with a few bungie cords. Although, I do like the idea (and flexibility) of a milk crate too.

This is how I transport a bag:

Backpack_02.jpg

...& this is how I transport a dog:
hersehlclose.jpg

A rear basket is a great idea. I think better than just strapping it to the rack with bungy cords because if it sits in a basket, you don't have to worry about the pressure of the bungy cords squishing the contents of your backpack. You can carry quite a lot in a basket or crate if it's secured well to the rack. As long as more than 50% of the weight of the contents is below to top of the basket/crate, you don't have to worry about it falling out. It's a great way to carry food as well, because you won't have to worry about crushing fruits and vegetables if they are just sitting in a basket.

A rear basket or rack like what most people are suggesting is a good idea. It won't get in your way versus a front basket and you could just bungie cord the bag down. Maybe even use the basket for other stuff like fishing equipment? Maybe.