Mounting a computer / light on aero bars

Peter

Guest
Dear all,

I have recently put tri-bars on my Specialized Sirrus. There is now no room left on the handlebars
for my speedometer and light. I could put them on the tri bars but then they'd be 90 degrees off!
Does anyone have any solutions to my problem??

Thanks a million,

Peter

"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Dear all,
>
> I have recently put tri-bars on my Specialized Sirrus. There is now no
room
> left on the handlebars for my speedometer and light. I could put them on
the
> tri bars but then they'd be 90 degrees off! Does anyone have any solutions to my problem??
>
> Thanks a million,
>
> Peter

Most aero bars have an optional "accessory" to allow for this. My Syntace C-2 bars allow for
mounting a short round piece of plastic between the bar extensions (sold at additional costs %$#@!),
to which I mount my computer.

Not sure about mounting a lighting system, however. That would require more room.

Have you contacted the manufacturer?

--
~_-* ...G/ \G http://www.CycliStats.com CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

> Dear all,
>
> I have recently put tri-bars on my Specialized Sirrus. There is now no room left on the handlebars
> for my speedometer and light. I could put them on the tri bars but then they'd be 90 degrees off!
> Does anyone have any solutions to my problem??

What kind of bars? If they are the ones which close over the front like the Profile Design Century
and AirStryke models (which I have), you can put the light on the end of the bar. What I did for the
computer was to take a round dowell about 1" in diameter, cut it to an appropriate length and
concave the ends so that it would fight snugly between the bars, and then drill a hole in each end
of it and zip-tie it to the bars on each side. it's snug enough to hold the computer, but I can
still slide it forward and back to keep the computer where I want it.

You could do the same that but mount a handle bar space saver on it, and put both the light and
computer on that if there's no spot for the light on the end of the bars.

I have TTT bio-arms. would the Syntace accessory work with these? (They're just like the Syntace,
probably the same diameter too).

Thanks,

Peter

"GaryG" <garyg@shasta_SPAMBEGONE_software.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I have recently put tri-bars on my Specialized Sirrus. There is now no
> room
> > left on the handlebars for my speedometer and light. I could put them on
> the
> > tri bars but then they'd be 90 degrees off! Does anyone have any
solutions
> > to my problem??
> >
> > Thanks a million,
> >
> > Peter
> >

> Most aero bars have an optional "accessory" to allow for this. My Syntace C-2 bars allow for
> mounting a short round piece of plastic between the bar extensions (sold at additional costs
> %$#@!), to which I mount my computer.
>
> Not sure about mounting a lighting system, however. That would require
more
> room.
>
> Have you contacted the manufacturer?
>
> --
> ~_-* ...G/ \G http://www.CycliStats.com CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

No they don't close over the ends, they're 3T bio arms. Well that's one way of doing it (tying the
dowell to the bars) and I'll bear it in mind.

Thanks,

Peter

"David Kerber" <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote in message
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I have recently put tri-bars on my Specialized Sirrus. There is now no
room
> > left on the handlebars for my speedometer and light. I could put them on
the
> > tri bars but then they'd be 90 degrees off! Does anyone have any
solutions
> > to my problem??
>
> What kind of bars? If they are the ones which close over the front like the Profile Design Century
> and AirStryke models (which I have), you can put the light on the end of the bar. What I did for
> the computer was to take a round dowell about 1" in diameter, cut it to an appropriate length and
> concave the ends so that it would fight snugly between the bars, and then drill a hole in each end
> of it and zip-tie it to the bars on each side. it's snug enough to hold the computer, but I can
> still slide it forward and back to keep the computer where I want it.
>
> You could do the same that but mount a handle bar space saver on it, and put both the light and
> computer on that if there's no spot for the light on the end of the bars.
>
> --
> Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!
>
> REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

> No they don't close over the ends, they're 3T bio arms. Well that's one way of doing it (tying the
> dowell to the bars) and I'll bear it in mind.

Yeah, it's kind of a kluge job, but it serves my purposes. I did paint it black so it's not so
obviously a home-made rig. If I had good woodworking tools, it could have come out much nicer.

In article <[email protected]>, "Peter" <[email protected]> writes:

>I have recently put tri-bars on my Specialized Sirrus. There is now no room left on the handlebars
>for my speedometer and light. I could put them on the tri bars but then they'd be 90 degrees off!
>Does anyone have any solutions to my problem??

Peter,

See your local bike shop, Profile, ChronoMetro(sp), and others make add on accessory mounts for
aerobars....around $9.00.

Regards,
Bill