mounting a computer on a USS 'bent

paul

Guest
So I've got this rather splendid new bicycle, and it's got the toys on
it. I bought myself a new wireless 'pooter for it, and mounting the
sensor isn't a problem. however, i'm now stumped, where do I hang the
'pooter itself so I can see it when I'm crusing along. And when I get
round to buying the GPS, will I need seperation twixt 'pooter and GPS.
And if I get a HRM will that make it an unholy mess of mobile RF all
interacting wioth each other unhelpfully.

So two questions real, on on physical location, and one on RF.

TiA
--
..paul

If at first you don't succeed...
Skydiving is probably not the sport for you.

paul wrote:
> So I've got this rather splendid new bicycle, and it's got the toys on
> it. I bought myself a new wireless 'pooter for it, and mounting the
> sensor isn't a problem. however, i'm now stumped, where do I hang the
> 'pooter itself so I can see it when I'm crusing along.

A Minoura Space Grip mounted to the derailleur tube is an ideal solution:
<URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga/03061408helga.jpg>
<URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga/helgacomputer01.jpg>

from:
<URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga.html>

which is increasingly badly in need of updating.

[email protected]le says...
> paul wrote:
> > So I've got this rather splendid new bicycle, and it's got the toys on
> > it. I bought myself a new wireless 'pooter for it, and mounting the
> > sensor isn't a problem. however, i'm now stumped, where do I hang the
> > 'pooter itself so I can see it when I'm crusing along.

> A Minoura Space Grip mounted to the derailleur tube is an ideal solution:
> <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga/03061408helga.jpg>
> <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga/helgacomputer01.jpg>
>
> from:
> <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga.html>
>
> which is increasingly badly in need of updating.

Thanks Dave, that would of course be a fine plan if my GH had a front
derailleur tube, but as I opted for the dual hub, those kind people at
HPvelo gave me a free upgrade sans d-tube. I have thought of putting a
Sapce Grip directly onto the boom, but I'm worried about a) it not fitti
ng due to the tube diameter, b) catching it with my thighs/knees/feet,
c) it catching me in a very tender area.

Current prime option is a stubby bar end, then I can fit a mirror as
well. Cany you think of any reason why thsi would be a Bad Idea?
--
..paul

If at first you don't succeed...
Skydiving is probably not the sport for you.

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:05:13 +0000 (UTC), paul
<[email protected]> () wrote:

>So I've got this rather splendid new bicycle, and it's got the toys on
>it. I bought myself a new wireless 'pooter for it, and mounting the
>sensor isn't a problem. however, i'm now stumped, where do I hang the
>'pooter itself so I can see it when I'm crusing along. And when I get
>round to buying the GPS, will I need seperation twixt 'pooter and GPS.
>And if I get a HRM will that make it an unholy mess of mobile RF all
>interacting wioth each other unhelpfully.
>
>So two questions real, on on physical location, and one on RF.

I mounted mine (Cateye Astrale) via a cunning bracket/plastic rod
device to the headset, clamping it underneath the cap. Works a treat
and sits just at the lower edge of my field of vision.

--
Matt K
Waikikamukau,NZ

Depending on the make/model of computer, you may be able to buy an
alternative mounting bracket - Cateye describes theirs as an "Aerobar"
mount), which can be fixed to the frame tube with cable ties. I have one
thus attached on my Baron

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 23:08:56 +0000, paul wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected]le says...
>> paul wrote:
>> > So I've got this rather splendid new bicycle, and it's got the toys on
>> > it. I bought myself a new wireless 'pooter for it, and mounting the
>> > sensor isn't a problem. however, i'm now stumped, where do I hang the
>> > 'pooter itself so I can see it when I'm crusing along.

>> A Minoura Space Grip mounted to the derailleur tube is an ideal solution:
>> <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga/03061408helga.jpg>
>> <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga/helgacomputer01.jpg>
>>
>> from:
>> <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga.html>
>>
>> which is increasingly badly in need of updating.
>>

> Thanks Dave, that would of course be a fine plan if my GH had a front
> derailleur tube, but as I opted for the dual hub, those kind people at
> HPvelo gave me a free upgrade sans d-tube. I have thought of putting a
> Sapce Grip directly onto the boom, but I'm worried about a) it not fitti
> ng due to the tube diameter,

I don't know about that

> b) catching it with my thighs/knees/feet,

My bike has a braze-on on the boom for mounting a cycle computer. I
kicked my first one off. For some reason, my 2nd computer seems to have
fared much better. Touchwood.

> c) it catching me in a very tender area.

Do you mean if you slide forwards onto the boom? I don't worry
about this overmuch on my bike. Your bikes geometry may differ.

This concern was one reason I opted for USS rather than OSS, but OSS
riders assure me that it isn't a problem.

> Current prime option is a stubby bar end, then I can fit a mirror as
> well. Cany you think of any reason why thsi would be a Bad Idea?

If you fall off, the bar-end will hit the ground first and your mirror
&/| computer may be destroyed (if you're planning to mount it the way I
assume).

For a while I also mounted my computer crossways accross the boom, so you
had to read it sideways.

AC

paul wrote:
> Thanks Dave,

Erm, actually I'm not a Dave.

> I have thought of putting a
> Sapce Grip directly onto the boom, but I'm worried about a) it not fitti
> ng due to the tube diameter, b) catching it with my thighs/knees/feet,
> c) it catching me in a very tender area.

I think it would be quite a challenge to get it to fit. It would
probably be possible to work something out whereby it is held on with a
jubilee clip, but I haven't tried it.

Space Grips are available in two lengths and are easily shortened by
judicious use of a hacksaw. b) shouldn't be a problem. You'll probably
get the best view of the computer by mounting the Space Grip towards the
front end of the boom, in which case c) shouldn't be a problem either.

> Current prime option is a stubby bar end, then I can fit a mirror as
> well. Cany you think of any reason why thsi would be a Bad Idea?

Someone mentioned that this will be the first part of the bike to hit
the floor when you fall off. Otherwise, sounds OK. From personal
experience I would strongly recommend a glasses mounted mirror rather
than a handlebar mounted mirror, though.

[email protected]ere says...
> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 23:08:56 +0000, paul wrote:
>
> > Current prime option is a stubby bar end, then I can fit a mirror as
> > well. Cany you think of any reason why thsi would be a Bad Idea?

> If you fall off, the bar-end will hit the ground first and your mirror
> &/| computer may be destroyed (if you're planning to mount it the way I
> assume).

See, someone always has the answer :) I'll have a look at this, but I
*think* that the profile of the handle bars will protect the computer. A
mirror would be vulnrable though. Thanks for your thoughts
--
..paul

If at first you don't succeed...
Skydiving is probably not the sport for you.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> I mounted mine (Cateye Astrale) via a cunning bracket/plastic rod
> device to the headset, clamping it underneath the cap. Works a treat
> and sits just at the lower edge of my field of vision.

I was discussing this option with Pete Wheelan last night (who just
happened to be passing so popped in to have a look ath the GH) but I
think that the position of the headset on the GH is just a little to
close to my nether regions to render it invisible due to my rather large
beer hump (will it's a hump when I'm lying back :)
--
..paul

If at first you don't succeed...
Skydiving is probably not the sport for you.

> Depending on the make/model of computer, you may be able to buy an
> alternative mounting bracket - Cateye describes theirs as an "Aerobar"
> mount), which can be fixed to the frame tube with cable ties. I have one
> thus attached on my Baron

Now that would have been something to consider BEFORE I bought the VDO.
D'oh. (Anyone want to buy an unused VDO cyctec 15+?)
--

paul wrote:
> ... due to my rather large
> beer hump (will it's a hump when I'm lying back :)

That's an aerobelly. It'll help you go faster.

Don't know if somebody mentioned this one yet, but you can make a
computer mount from an plastic wine cork. Just thread a (long) cable
tie legthwise through the cork, mount the computer on the cork (same
as on a handlebar) and mount the whole contraption on the boom.

Mark van Gorkom.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected]le says...
> paul wrote:
> > ... due to my rather large
> > beer hump (will it's a hump when I'm lying back :)

> That's an aerobelly. It'll help you go faster.

Well in that case I'd better keep working on it :D
--
..paul

If at first you don't succeed...
Skydiving is probably not the sport for you.

says...
> Don't know if somebody mentioned this one yet, but you can make a
> computer mount from an plastic wine cork. Just thread a (long) cable
> tie legthwise through the cork, mount the computer on the cork (same
> as on a handlebar) and mount the whole contraption on the boom.
>
> Mark van Gorkom.

Excellent, I get to do some work on the aerobelly at the same time as
providing materials for the project.

Thanks Mark :)