mounting a computer on a USS 'bent

Paul

Guest
So I've got this rather splendid new bicycle, and it's got
the toys on
it. I bought myself a new wireless 'pooter for it, and
mounting the sensor isn't a problem. however, i'm now
stumped, where do I hang the 'pooter itself so I can see
it when I'm crusing along. And when I get round to
buying the GPS, will I need seperation twixt 'pooter and
GPS. And if I get a HRM will that make it an unholy mess
of mobile RF all interacting wioth each other
unhelpfully.

So two questions real, on on physical location, and
one on RF.

TiA
--
.paul

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving is probably not
the sport for you.

paul wrote:
> So I've got this rather splendid new bicycle, and it's got
> the toys on
> it. I bought myself a new wireless 'pooter for it, and
> mounting the sensor isn't a problem. however, i'm now
> stumped, where do I hang the 'pooter itself so I can
> see it when I'm crusing along.

A Minoura Space Grip mounted to the derailleur tube is an
ideal solution: <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/dan-
ny/stable/helga/03061408helga.jpg> <URL:http://www.speedy5.-
freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga/helgacomputer01.jpg>

from: <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/-
helga.html>

which is increasingly badly in need of updating.

--
Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my
reply address)

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> paul wrote:
> > So I've got this rather splendid new bicycle, and it's
> > got the toys on
> > it. I bought myself a new wireless 'pooter for it, and
> > mounting the sensor isn't a problem. however, i'm
> > now stumped, where do I hang the 'pooter itself so I
> > can see it when I'm crusing along.
>
> A Minoura Space Grip mounted to the derailleur tube is
> an ideal solution: <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co-
> .uk/danny/stable/helga/03061408helga.jpg> <URL:http://w-
> ww.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga/helgacomp-
> uter01.jpg>
>
> from: <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stabl-
> e/helga.html>
>
> which is increasingly badly in need of updating.

Thanks Dave, that would of course be a fine plan if my GH
had a front derailleur tube, but as I opted for the dual
hub, those kind people at HPvelo gave me a free upgrade sans
d-tube. I have thought of putting a Sapce Grip directly onto
the boom, but I'm worried about a) it not fitti ng due to
the tube diameter, b) catching it with my thighs/knees/feet,
c) it catching me in a very tender area.

Current prime option is a stubby bar end, then I can fit a
mirror as well. Cany you think of any reason why thsi would
be a Bad Idea?
--
.paul

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving is probably not
the sport for you.

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:05:13 +0000 (UTC), paul
<[email protected]> () wrote:

>So I've got this rather splendid new bicycle, and it's got
>the toys on
>it. I bought myself a new wireless 'pooter for it, and
> mounting the sensor isn't a problem. however, i'm now
> stumped, where do I hang the 'pooter itself so I can
> see it when I'm crusing along. And when I get round to
> buying the GPS, will I need seperation twixt 'pooter
> and GPS. And if I get a HRM will that make it an unholy
> mess of mobile RF all interacting wioth each other
> unhelpfully.
>
>So two questions real, on on physical location, and
>one on RF.

I mounted mine (Cateye Astrale) via a cunning
bracket/plastic rod device to the headset, clamping it
underneath the cap. Works a treat and sits just at the lower
edge of my field of vision.

--
Matt K Waikikamukau,NZ

Depending on the make/model of computer, you may be able
to buy an alternative mounting bracket - Cateye
describes theirs as an "Aerobar" mount), which can be
fixed to the frame tube with cable ties. I have one thus
attached on my Baron

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 23:08:56 +0000, paul wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> paul wrote:
>> > So I've got this rather splendid new bicycle, and it's
>> > got the toys on
>> > it. I bought myself a new wireless 'pooter for it, and
>> > mounting the sensor isn't a problem. however, i'm
>> > now stumped, where do I hang the 'pooter itself so
>> > I can see it when I'm crusing along.
>>
>> A Minoura Space Grip mounted to the derailleur tube is
>> an ideal solution: <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co-
>> .uk/danny/stable/helga/03061408helga.jpg> <URL:http://w-
>> ww.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stable/helga/helgacomp-
>> uter01.jpg>
>>
>> from: <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/stab-
>> le/helga.html>
>>
>> which is increasingly badly in need of updating.
>>

> Thanks Dave, that would of course be a fine plan if my GH
> had a front derailleur tube, but as I opted for the dual
> hub, those kind people at HPvelo gave me a free upgrade
> sans d-tube. I have thought of putting a Sapce Grip
> directly onto the boom, but I'm worried about a) it not
> fitti ng due to the tube diameter,

I don't know about that

> b) catching it with my thighs/knees/feet,

My bike has a braze-on on the boom for mounting a cycle
computer. I kicked my first one off. For some reason, my 2nd
computer seems to have fared much better. Touchwood.

> c) it catching me in a very tender area.

Do you mean if you slide forwards onto the boom? I don't
worry about this overmuch on my bike. Your bikes geometry
may differ.

This concern was one reason I opted for USS rather than OSS,
but OSS riders assure me that it isn't a problem.

> Current prime option is a stubby bar end, then I can fit a
> mirror as well. Cany you think of any reason why thsi
> would be a Bad Idea?

If you fall off, the bar-end will hit the ground first and
your mirror &/| computer may be destroyed (if you're
planning to mount it the way I assume).

For a while I also mounted my computer crossways accross the
boom, so you had to read it sideways.

AC

paul wrote:
> Thanks Dave,

Erm, actually I'm not a Dave.

> I have thought of putting a Sapce Grip directly onto the
> boom, but I'm worried about a) it not fitti ng due to the
> tube diameter, b) catching it with my thighs/knees/feet,
> c) it catching me in a very tender area.

I think it would be quite a challenge to get it to fit. It
would probably be possible to work something out whereby it
is held on with a jubilee clip, but I haven't tried it.

Space Grips are available in two lengths and are easily
shortened by judicious use of a hacksaw. b) shouldn't be a
problem. You'll probably get the best view of the computer
by mounting the Space Grip towards the front end of the
boom, in which case c) shouldn't be a problem either.

> Current prime option is a stubby bar end, then I can fit a
> mirror as well. Cany you think of any reason why thsi
> would be a Bad Idea?

Someone mentioned that this will be the first part of the
bike to hit the floor when you fall off. Otherwise, sounds
OK. From personal experience I would strongly recommend a
glasses mounted mirror rather than a handlebar mounted
mirror, though.

--
Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my
reply address)
<URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/> "He who
dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> I mounted mine (Cateye Astrale) via a cunning
> bracket/plastic rod device to the headset, clamping it
> underneath the cap. Works a treat and sits just at the
> lower edge of my field of vision.

I was discussing this option with Pete Wheelan last night
(who just happened to be passing so popped in to have a look
ath the GH) but I think that the position of the headset on
the GH is just a little to close to my nether regions to
render it invisible due to my rather large beer hump (will
it's a hump when I'm lying back :)
--
.paul

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving is probably not
the sport for you.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Depending on the make/model of computer, you may be able
> to buy an alternative mounting bracket - Cateye describes
> theirs as an "Aerobar" mount), which can be fixed to the
> frame tube with cable ties. I have one thus attached on
> my Baron

Now that would have been something to consider BEFORE I
bought the VDO. D'oh. (Anyone want to buy an unused VDO
cyctec 15+?)
--
.paul

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving is probably not
the sport for you.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 23:08:56 +0000, paul wrote:
>
> > Current prime option is a stubby bar end, then I can fit
> > a mirror as well. Cany you think of any reason why thsi
> > would be a Bad Idea?
>
> If you fall off, the bar-end will hit the ground first and
> your mirror &/| computer may be destroyed (if you're
> planning to mount it the way I assume).

See, someone always has the answer :) I'll have a look at
this, but I *think* that the profile of the handle bars will
protect the computer. A mirror would be vulnrable though.
Thanks for your thoughts
--

paul wrote:
> ... due to my rather large beer hump (will it's a hump
> when I'm lying back :)

That's an aerobelly. It'll help you go faster.

--
Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my
reply address)
<URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/> "He who
dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

Don't know if somebody mentioned this one yet, but you can
make a computer mount from an plastic wine cork. Just thread
a (long) cable tie legthwise through the cork, mount the
computer on the cork (same as on a handlebar) and mount the
whole contraption on the boom.

Mark van Gorkom.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> paul wrote:
> > ... due to my rather large beer hump (will it's a hump
> > when I'm lying back :)
>
> That's an aerobelly. It'll help you go faster.

Well in that case I'd better keep working on it :D
--
.paul

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving is probably not
the sport for you.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Don't know if somebody mentioned this one yet, but you can
> make a computer mount from an plastic wine cork. Just
> thread a (long) cable tie legthwise through the cork,
> mount the computer on the cork (same as on a handlebar)
> and mount the whole contraption on the boom.
>
> Mark van Gorkom.

Excellent, I get to do some work on the aerobelly at the
same time as providing materials for the project.

Thanks Mark :)