Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Mounting a Mity 3 Cateye cyclometer.... how best?

Started by Billx · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,185 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
23 April 2003
Last activity
23 April 2003
Original author
Billx
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,185
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I posted earlier but screwed up on spelling the name so people might not have understood what
    cyclometer I was talking about. I want to mount this on a Trek 2300 road bike that is designed for
    racing. The unit comes with two different mounts, one for an aero fork. Not sure if my fork
    qualifies as aero or in what orientation I should mount the sensor unit. Should the sensor be
    positioned behind or in front of the fork? Anyone else out there using this unit on a road/time
    trial bike have advice on how best to mount this unit?

  2. BillX said:

    I want to mount this on a Trek 2300 road bike that is designed for racing. The unit comes with two
    different mounts, one for an aero fork. Not sure if my fork qualifies as aero or in what
    orientation I should mount the sensor unit. Should the sensor be positioned behind or in front of
    the fork? Anyone else out there using this unit on a road/time trial bike have advice on how best
    to mount this unit?

    I have the same computer and straight fat carbon fork blades. I've used the aero mount and
    positioned the sensor low on the forks, behind and a bit inside, using a piece of thin rubber tape
    and two thin cable ties to help it stay put. If it makes any difference, I happened to use a
    different magnet from the one supplied: a flat two-spoke type.

    Keep trying various orientations until something works out. I'm sure there's not one "correct"
    way to do it.

    ~PB

  3. BillX said:

    I posted earlier but screwed up on spelling the name so people might not have understood what
    cyclometer I was talking about. I want to mount this on a Trek 2300 road bike that is designed for
    racing. The unit comes with two different mounts, one for an aero fork. Not sure if my fork
    qualifies as aero or in what orientation I should mount the sensor unit. Should the sensor be
    positioned behind or in front of the fork? Anyone else out there using this unit on a road/time
    trial bike have advice on how best to mount this unit?

    That's a tough call, generally works fine either way. If you mount it on the back, and it slips
    and gets caught against the magnet or a spoke, it is more likely to bust something, but it looks
    neater that way.

    I have an article "17 Tips For Installing Cyclecomputers" that you might find worth a read:

    sheldonbrown.comcyclecomputer installation.html

    Sometimes I mount 'em on my seatpost, just below the saddle, reading off the rear wheel. This
    keeps the handlebars neater looking, also keeps me from being tempted to look at the display while
    I'm riding.

    Sheldon "Full Of Fashions For Flaying Felines" Brown
    +------------------------------------------------------+
    | If a man does not keep pace with his companions, | perhaps it is because he hears a different
    | drummer. | Let him step to the music which he hears, | however measured or far away. -- Thoreau |
    +------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 harriscyclery.comharriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    captainbike.comcaptainbike.com sheldonbrown.comsheldonbrown.com

  4. Sheldon Brown said:

    I have an article "17 Tips For Installing Cyclecomputers" that you might find worth a read:
    sheldonbrown.comcyclecomputer installation.html

    _Now_ he tells us all this - a year after I mount mine on the right, spiralling up the back brake
    cable housing. :-)

    However, perhaps point 1 needs a caveat that it's not such a good plan if you have a dynamo hub?
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> flcl?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.