Mounting a Mity 3 Cateye cyclometer.... how best?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Billx, Apr 22, 2003.

  1. Billx

    Billx Guest

    I posted earlier but screwed up on spelling the name so people might not have understood what
    cyclometer I was talking about. I want to mount this on a Trek 2300 road bike that is designed for
    racing. The unit comes with two different mounts, one for an aero fork. Not sure if my fork
    qualifies as aero or in what orientation I should mount the sensor unit. Should the sensor be
    positioned behind or in front of the fork? Anyone else out there using this unit on a road/time
    trial bike have advice on how best to mount this unit?

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    BillX wrote:
    > I want to mount this on a Trek 2300 road bike that is designed for racing. The unit comes with two
    > different mounts, one for an aero fork. Not sure if my fork qualifies as aero or in what
    > orientation I should mount the sensor unit. Should the sensor be positioned behind or in front of
    > the fork? Anyone else out there using this unit on a road/time trial bike have advice on how best
    > to mount this unit?

    I have the same computer and straight fat carbon fork blades. I've used the aero mount and
    positioned the sensor low on the forks, behind and a bit inside, using a piece of thin rubber tape
    and two thin cable ties to help it stay put. If it makes any difference, I happened to use a
    different magnet from the one supplied: a flat two-spoke type.

    Keep trying various orientations until something works out. I'm sure there's not one "correct"
    way to do it.

    ~PB

  3. BillX wrote:
    > I posted earlier but screwed up on spelling the name so people might not have understood what
    > cyclometer I was talking about. I want to mount this on a Trek 2300 road bike that is designed for
    > racing. The unit comes with two different mounts, one for an aero fork. Not sure if my fork
    > qualifies as aero or in what orientation I should mount the sensor unit. Should the sensor be
    > positioned behind or in front of the fork? Anyone else out there using this unit on a road/time
    > trial bike have advice on how best to mount this unit?

    That's a tough call, generally works fine either way. If you mount it on the back, and it slips
    and gets caught against the magnet or a spoke, it is more likely to bust something, but it looks
    neater that way.

    I have an article "17 Tips For Installing Cyclecomputers" that you might find worth a read:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomputer-installation.html

    Sometimes I mount 'em on my seatpost, just below the saddle, reading off the rear wheel. This
    keeps the handlebars neater looking, also keeps me from being tempted to look at the display while
    I'm riding.

    Sheldon "Full Of Fashions For Flaying Felines" Brown
    | If a man does not keep pace with his companions, | perhaps it is because he hears a different
    | drummer. | Let him step to the music which he hears, | however measured or far away. -- Thoreau |
    +------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts