Mounting a Trebuchet

Would you like a trebuchet on your bike?

• Yes! lets find a way to mount one!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nahh, I think the recoil would flatten my bike.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Trebuchets are so dated, lets go for a Barrett BMG

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • What is a Trebuchet?

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

Can

May 10, 2003
Anyone have any ideas on how I could make this possible?

-Jacob

There are three problems to overcome as I see it:

1. The energy required to load whatever ballistic is contemplated would probably exceed the strength of the average rider
2. The recoil on firing would knock most riders off their seat, except those with exceptional stability and balance. Depending on the mass and velocity of the projectile, the bike may in fact be pushed into reverse on firing.
3. Most popular trebuchet's (should that be trebuchi) are in the vicinity of two or three tonnes.

Modern carbon fibre technology may solve the third point, but newtons laws still make the first two problematic.

Ahh, I have already thought of solutions.
1) The trebuchet would have a hook instead of a cup, and you would have to back it into place, and put the hook into the car's underbody (preferably at a light).

2) training wheels and a fender spike to prevent the bike from slipping backwards or flipping.

3) to deal with the weight of the trebuchet, I propose a triple chainring, and weight lifting. Perhaps if necessary this plan could be worked into a tandem recumbent rig...

Still don't think it would work.

Why not try a Mangonel and tow it behind the bike?

It could be modified (ie. Zipp wheels, custom frame) to reduce weight, and shock absorbers could be built into the trailer hitch.

Nahh it would shoot you up the bum.

What you need is a custom bike incorporating the mangonel =) Which would actually be a possible undertaking. Safety would be a serious issue with firing a javalin from between your legs but, it is do-able. Gotta think on this one, this may be a project that is more realistic than the trebuchet. Although I am thinking about a projectile weapon for pedestrian assaults in particular, I have had a few troubles from the side. It would be really nice to fire a javalin from your bike though, and the frame seems a good beginning for something like that anyway... ohh steering, how would you steer and fire? oh, with the javalin pointing past your headtube, you could steer anyway and fire. The angle of projection would not be straight then..and mounting it off to the side might interfere with pedaling... Recumbent! =) fires off the bottom... wheels... much more complex than adding something more modern.. I guess I am going to go with the Barrett M82A1

picture on next post

Simpler still, a 8 guage steel tube bolted to the top post could be modified to fire ball bearings straight ahead - perhaps powered by compressed air.

A useful tool for recalcitrant motorists, and ideally suited for punishing pedestrians stupid enough to get in the way.

I'll get on the physics of this and get back to you all.

How about a big rock you could throw? Then you could throw at things coming from the side, in front and behind! =) The ammunition isn't 5 bucks a pop like my last suggestion and the launching mechanism won't put you back 8 grand, nor knock you off your bike =) I would love to see a sport arise from this, like painball road races, where the paintball guns just point ahead and 100 mile races of swerving side to side to avoid the paintballs from behind. Every hit could be a point deduction at the end =) It would be so easy too, the only difficulty would be mounting the paintball gun so that it wouldn't cause additional injuries when the rider crashes, so a bar mount would be difficult. It would be so studly to have a trigger under your brake lever =) With all of the fourth of july celebrations over you could buy a lot of big rockets on sale and buy a pvc pipe slap some grips on it and a firing mechanism, and you have a rocket launcher.... this has some merit too, it would be nice to ride with on your back, if you could make a good enough sling, it would take one motion to grasp the grip over your shoulder and bring it onto your shoulder and onto bear with your target. Your aerodynamics wouldn't be sacrificed with the launcher in your drag shadow =) if you made the launcher furry, it would benefit you to carry. I have had some fun with a flare gun while riding =) Those are pretty cheap, and would scare any attacker pretty badly, you could hurt someone if necessary, and if you were injured out in the middle of nowhere, you could signal someone =) As with frame material there seems to be strengths and weaknesses with all of these designs. The trebuchet is a bit dated and ill suited for cycling, the mangonel is much better, but still a little too complex for the recreational cyclo-destructivist. The ball bearing launcher would be an easy fix, the compressed air could be kept in bottle sized tanks on your frame. The Barrett has a lot of strength(s) but, has too many drawbacks in price and size (60 inches, 40lbs), with a 22 foot/pound recoil, you could easily lose control of the bike, the necessity for hearing and eye protection would also hider riding ability. The sex appeal from a macho point of view is high, though, actuall sex appeal is questionable =) Flare gun seems to be an almost legal choice, as long as it looks reasonable difficult to get out in a hurry, and you are extremely good at lying. Rocks are prevolent and versatile, but potentially weighty, there is nothing to make your jersey look more silly (in some cases) than a heavy weight in the rear pockets. Rocket launcher is fun but, the design is much more difficult when a more in depth look is taken. Paintball gun like the ball bearing gun is great. the only design would be in storing it on your bike, and possibly a trigger on your bars, or a bite trigger =) I don't know why the rifle or pistol industry hasn;t gone with bite triggers, I can bite awfully quickly and it would free up a hand for better position. Do any industries use bite triggers? Anyway, if they don't I have dibs on the idea.. along with a few more great ones for bike locks!!! =) I can't share them they are too good! =) anyway, these are the major designs laid out so far, painball seems a good direction to move towards, less dangerous, less threatening and more legal, cheaper, readily constructed, and cheap ammo. Your CO2 cartridges could be swapped for a Microflate cartridge in a bind as well =)
-Jacob

I just found out there is already a bite trigger designed for disabled shooters. Though the same design could enable us as well. Though breathing would become harder... and I already have my Camelbak.. ohh well... it seemed a good idea.

How about a small white card, containing the name and address of a reputable law firm? Make them truly miserable...

"We have an old saying around Delta House: Don't get mad - get even!"

I think a finger from a rubber washing up glove taped to the end of some 19mm (3/4") diameter PVC tubing for firing ball bearings would be much more practical. This could easily be mounted to your bar. They are very accurate over short range.

Regards,
Harrow.:)

I like the Barret - but I thing he went a bit large, maybe you should check out mini-cross bows...80lbs draw....fires easily with on hand, could create a mount in the triangle of your bars.....something quick release for sure....lol

I have settled for a better idea.. =) a 6'2" 175lb lean muscle with MTB toe spikes on one end and a ramming cap on the other =) and a 20lb steel projectile between it's legs =)
Meat Missile =)

I helped a friend make a dog **** trebuchet. He has no problem getting rid of the stuff his 3 dogs leave in the yard. Just load 'er up, and let it fly! The place where it lands a half mile away will never figure out where it comes from...

TD

Blimp said:
Still don't think it would work.

Why not try a Mangonel and tow it behind the bike?

It could be modified (ie. Zipp wheels, custom frame) to reduce weight, and shock absorbers could be built into the trailer hitch.
That looks like a scorpion to me- Giant crossbow.

A magonel or onager is usually more of a mobile catapult isn't it?

Can said:
Anyone have any ideas on how I could make this possible?

-Jacob
I'd go for a nice rack mounted AIM-9E. Much more efficient. Don't forget your safety glasses to protect from that exhaust :eek: