Mounting bike computers on a MTB

jamiedude

Nov 10, 2007
Hey guys, I purchased a sigma1606L for my GiantTalon on the weekend. When i went to install it i found that the gap between the magnet and reciever is huge! I chucked a piece of wood in there to close the gap but i was just wondering if this is the norm? what other measuers have you guys taken to close this gap? in the manual i reckons a gap of 5mm is required but mine is about 1.5cms and working fine... for now..

Thanks guys for your help ;)

Sight unseen, I would suggest that you try mounting BOTH the sensor & spoke magnet closer to the hub ...

alfeng said:
Sight unseen, I would suggest that you try mounting BOTH the sensor & spoke magnet closer to the hub ...
+1.

It makes no difference where you mount the sensor and magnet on the hub - the computer simply counts the number of seconds/revolution, and gives you your speed. Closer to the hub will mean the sensor is more likely to pickup the magnet, and is less likely to be affected by bumps and vibrations in the long term.

Closer to the rim might give a marginally more accurate speed, but not something significantly better than the limits of error.

n