Mounting Computer on a STEM

Steve

Guest
Hello. I recently bought a new road bike equipped with an ITM Millenium
Wing bar (flat top). With that, I'm afraid my beloved Avocet 40 will no
longer be coming along for the ride, so I'm starting to research
computers that mount via elastic or zip-tie and have rotating displays
conducive to stem mounting.

Can anyone recommend any models that are stem-friendly? My budget's
pretty open and I'm leaning toward NON-wireless.

Thanks in advance,
-Steve

Steve wrote:
> Hello. I recently bought a new road bike equipped with an ITM Millenium
> Wing bar (flat top). With that, I'm afraid my beloved Avocet 40 will no
> longer be coming along for the ride, so I'm starting to research
> computers that mount via elastic or zip-tie and have rotating displays
> conducive to stem mounting.
>
> Can anyone recommend any models that are stem-friendly? My budget's
> pretty open and I'm leaning toward NON-wireless.

All new Sigmas can be stem mounted. Just undo the four little screws in
the mount, rotate 90 degrees and refasten. The BC1200 is a good one.

Almost any computer that uses zip ties can be mounted to a stem. Get a
piece of carbon steerer that is cut off from a fork. Cut about one
inch portion off. Cut lengthwise. Now drill four holes for the zip
ties that go to the computer. Drill four holes for two zip ties that
go to the stem. Carbon dust is toxic to breathe but if you have cut
steerers before you know that.

"Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello. I recently bought a new road bike equipped with an ITM Millenium
> Wing bar (flat top). With that, I'm afraid my beloved Avocet 40 will no
> longer be coming along for the ride, so I'm starting to research
> computers that mount via elastic or zip-tie and have rotating displays
> conducive to stem mounting.
>
> Can anyone recommend any models that are stem-friendly? My budget's
> pretty open and I'm leaning toward NON-wireless.

http://www.glorycycles.com/fsacoce.html

On 17 Mar 2005 08:44:51 -0800, "Steve" <[email protected]> may
have said:

>Hello. I recently bought a new road bike equipped with an ITM Millenium
>Wing bar (flat top). With that, I'm afraid my beloved Avocet 40 will no
>longer be coming along for the ride, so I'm starting to research
>computers that mount via elastic or zip-tie and have rotating displays
>conducive to stem mounting.
>
>Can anyone recommend any models that are stem-friendly? My budget's
>pretty open and I'm leaning toward NON-wireless.

It's wireless, right? So the mounting bracket doesn't need contacts
in it, correct? Then a velcro band in place of the current plastic
clamp should work quite well, with a velcro spot glued to the back of
the comp. (You can peel it off to replace the battery; this isn't
required eften enough for that to be a big issue.)

(When I saw the subject line, my first thorugh was "what kind of a
STEM would you want to mount the computer *on*; you really wouldn't
want to induce vibration in the framework of a scanning tunnelling
electron microscope, would you?")

Steve wrote:
> Can anyone recommend any models that are stem-friendly? My budget's
> pretty open and I'm leaning toward NON-wireless.

There's a plastic device called a Cronometro "Nob" that allows you to
mount any computer to the side of any stem- or handlebar for that
matter. There's a picture at
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/accessories.asp
Can you afford $9?

Jeff

Thanks to all that replied.

I think I'll be going for one of the hardware mount options which will
be cheaper than buying a new computer.

The Avocet 40 must live on!

-Steve