Mounting fenders and blackburn lowriders

Harry H

Guest
Has anyone tried mounting esge/sks front fenders and blackburn lowrider racks? The fenders have a
plastic piece that attaches to the same brazeon as the rack. I'm concerned about the mounting order
being brazeon, plastic then rack. This puts the load cantilevered out on a rather long bolt. A
different mounting order puts the fender 'stays' outside the rack making pannier mounting difficult.

[email protected] (Harry H) wrote...
> Has anyone tried mounting esge/sks front fenders and blackburn lowrider racks? The fenders have a
> plastic piece that attaches to the same brazeon as the rack. I'm concerned about the mounting
> order being brazeon, plastic then rack. This puts the load cantilevered out on a rather long bolt.
> A different mounting order puts the fender 'stays' outside the rack making pannier mounting
> difficult.

An alternate solution is to mount the fender stays to the seatstay using a P-clip type bracket (i.e.
a plastic-covered metal clip that wraps around the seatstay and has a tab with a hole in it for the
fender bolt.)

I know I've seen these for sale, I just can't think of where... probably the obvious online
catalogs, and I think I saw them at www.deltacycles.com.

Michael

[email protected] schreef ...
> Has anyone tried mounting esge/sks front fenders and blackburn lowrider racks? The fenders have a
> plastic piece that attaches to the same brazeon as the rack. I'm concerned about the mounting
> order being brazeon, plastic then rack. This puts the load cantilevered out on a rather long bolt.
> A different mounting order puts the fender 'stays' outside the rack making pannier mounting
> difficult.

In my experience, the "long bolt" problem is theoretical rather than practical. BTW you can also
mount the plastic outside of the rack, couldn't you? In any case, make sure your bolts are
sufficiently long to fill out the brazeon completely. If there is room between brazeon and spokes
(which I presume) you could even go for the supersafe route and use an extra-long bolt with a nut on
it. Can't beat that for security.

--
Regards, Marten

On 13 Aug 2003 19:11:15 -0700, [email protected] (Harry H) wrote:

>Has anyone tried mounting esge/sks front fenders and blackburn lowrider racks? The fenders have a
>plastic piece that attaches to the same brazeon as the rack. I'm concerned about the mounting order
>being brazeon, plastic then rack. This puts the load cantilevered out on a rather long bolt. A
>different mounting order puts the fender 'stays' outside the rack making pannier mounting
>difficult.

I haven't done the lowrider rack, but I have had a rack and the sks fenders on the front. One way to
deal with the problem that you mention is to mount the fender stays higher up the fork. I used those
vinyl-coated plastic clamps placed about five inches above the dropouts for attaching the fenders.
The stays go to the inside of the rack. The sks stays are longer than need be. so the different
angling- short on top and longer on the bottom- that this mounting creates is easy. The fenders are
perfectly stable.

Marten Hoffmann <[email protected]> wrote:
>couldn't you? In any case, make sure your bolts are sufficiently long to fill out the brazeon
>completely. If there is room between brazeon and spokes (which I presume) you could even go for the
>supersafe route and use an extra-long bolt with a nut on it. Can't beat that for security.

Surely everyone does this as a matter of course.